X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hyde - Harbour View Politics

I should have left long ago - Hyde

by Ainsley Walters, Freelance Writer

Left: Carvel Stewart ... Harbour View's chairman. Center: Harbour View's general manager Clyde Jureidini. Right: Lenny Hyde

DISMISSED Premier League coach, Lenny Hyde, yesterday said he was being undermined and complained of interference from chairman Carvel Stewart, who resorted to naming teams before firing him by telephone Monday night.

"It's my fault, I should have left a long time ago," Hyde told STAR Sports after Harbour View issued a press release yesterday saying his services had been terminated, naming assistant Harold Thomas as coach for the remaining five matches in the Premier League season.

"For the Sporting Central game, when we won 3-0, when 'Daddy' (chairman Carvel Stewart) picked the team and the same team was used against August Town, when we had to come from behind to draw 2-2, everybody was saying I should have left from then, but I tried fighting with it and took the players into consideration," said Hyde, who led Harbour View to the league title last season.

"I got a phone call last night, saying the board met and I am no longer required and that Harold, my assistant, would be taking over. I was not given a reason after winning five Cups in a year and a half and lying fourth this season due to a lot of indiscipline."

Hyde, who took over from Donovan Hayles, who failed miserably two seasons ago when Harbour View threw a 13-point lead in the standings and was at the end comfortably beaten by Waterhouse, believed players and some board members were undermining him.

"I don't like how it was done," he said. "On two occasions, players went to management, saying I should be fired and you also have people on the board saying the same thing. They are the main ones," he added, pointing out that since the late Peter Cargill left Harbour View, he had been the most successful coach at the club, winning the Premier League, two Jackie Bell knockouts, the Caribbean Club Championship and the pre-season President's Cup.

However, Harbour View's general manager, Clyde Jureidini, said the club had been inconsistent in the Premier League and did not perform well in the CONCACAF Champions Cup, where they were crushed 5-0 by DC United in Washington after drawing the first leg 1-1 at home.

Short sighted
    Jureidini also said the club did not believe Hyde was capable of guiding the outfit through its projected short- and long-term goals.

"We're looking at two things, the first of which is to finish round four and what Harold Thomas brings to the table to end the season in terms of performance. We will soon start a new season but before that, there is the new CONCACAF Champions League, which starts in August," he pointed out.

"We're looking at how to prepare for the new season and how to go forward. We had expectations of Lenny as the head coach but we're looking at a way to go forward locally and internationally. He did well during his tenure but we're looking at how to go forward and with whom."

Thomas, who has coached at Premier League level with Rivoli and Waterhouse, does not have an impressive track record but has been retained for the fourth round by Harbour View, who qualified for the 24-team CONCACAF Champions League by being winners of the Caribbean Club Championship.

Jureidini, responding to Hyde's allegations of interference from management, said: "I wouldn't want to comment on anything Lenny has said. He's free to make any comment. I don't want to field a response. Some are correct and some woefully incorrect."

"I have the highest regard for Lenny and I have no comment as to any allegations he has made at this time. I don't even want to hear them," Stewart said last night when contacted for comment.

Meanwhile, Hyde said he is not considering any offers just yet but would instead spend more time with the national team.

"The time I have, I'll spend with the national programme, gaining some knowledge from coach Simoes," he said.

"I was not given a reason after winning five Cups in a year and a half and lying fourth this season due to a lot of indiscipline."

Where you give no reason Lennie? the statement says it all.
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Lenny needs to say thanks for the opportunity and leave. What he is doing don't look good.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Definately not, He should be as graceful as Duckie, and leave the doors open as you know how the recycling thing go.
        • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Exactly! Which club will now run for his services when he is likely to wash their linen outdoors when something happens, as it will?

He has a good record with Harbour View. Let it work for him and stop the griping.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

I really don't see anything wrong with the man venting that stuff. If players are carrying on with indiscipline and the management is picking the team for him, I think he should let it be known.

Comment

Bredren, trust mi when a tell yuh, better him chill!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Ah well it shows the kind of leadership he is giving.

The problem is what is his fault? HV hasn't been doing well this season and DC capped it. Where does Hyde take some blame?

I would think the coach have a part to play in "discipline"

Comment

It is not a big deal if he says he had some philosophical differences with management, and not get into much detail in public. However, he should let it go, and move on.
                  Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

Agreed!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Jamaica management get to involved with coaches decision

thus the reason why local coaches hardly achieved much success with our national team. I agree with Hyde to disclose all this mess what Carvel Stewart a do....these are some of the reason why DC BLANK THEM 5-0.

I hope Hyde can go on to play an integral part of our national programme for South Africa.

Is Carvel a part of J.F.F ..why him nu go decide what to with the damn academy mess them create in the first place under Boxhill..

The duppy a tivoli might box him dung fi leggo lenny...

Comment

yuh doan know di half. the less said the better for Lenny!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

What unnu fraid a carvel a jamaica?

Too much man get respect a yard because them have a few dollars and nuff so called bad man fi defend them.

Comment

time for me to exit stage left!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Hyde fi name out the indiscipline players so mi know who

blast out against if they called for national duties etc. This Boyd /onandi Lowe like situation nah go sit pretty with me this time around.

Comment

Working...
                              X