Executive Committee shall decide on the conditions of eligibility
    for any Player who has not played international football in accordance
    with par. 2 below, and either acquires a new nationality or is
    eligible to play for the teams of more than one Association due to
    his nationality.

2 With the exception of the conditions specified in par. 3 and 4 below,
    any Player who has already represented one Association in a match
    (either in full or in part) in an official competition of any category or
    any type of football may not play an international match for a representative
    team of another Association.

3 If a Player has more than one nationality, or if a Player acquires a new
    nationality, or if a Player is eligible to play for several Associations’
    teams due to nationality, he may, up to his 21st birthday, request
    to change the Association for which he is eligible to play international
    matches to the Association of another country of which he
    holds nationality, subject to the following conditions:
    (a) He has not played a match (either in full or in part) at “A” international
    level for his current Association, and if at the time of his
    first full or partial appearance in an international match in an
    official competition for his current Association, he already had
    the nationality of the Association’s team for which he wishes to
    play.

(b) He is not permitted to play for his new Association in any competition
    in which he has already played for his previous Association.
    A player may exercise this right only once.

Sect: 60 61
    VII. ELIGIBILITY TO PLAY FOR ASSOCIATION TEAMS

FIFA.com

----------------------------

I think I get it!...but, Sir Gamma tell me about Pennant and others in his situation about the possibility of playing for the Reggae Boyz?
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

what's the question?

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jermaine_Pennant

Well can he play for the Reggae Boyz? ...and if he cannot, why not?
      "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

well, he hasn't played an A international so he should be eligible.

what is throwing me off though is the choice by 21, it would seem to suggest that the option to "change" allegiance can only be done up to age 21.

how would that affect players who hold a british passport but never played for england at any level? my guess is that for those players, they must first get a jamaican passport.

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Gamma, you are correct!!

A player who plays for...lets say England. He plays in a non A International game such as the U23 qualifiers and he is/was under 21 at the time when he played, can "switch" his allegiance to another assosciation.

Now if he has a passport from let say, England and has NO roots to.....lets say Jamaica, BUT for some "reason" wants to play for Jamaica he would have to become a Citizen of Jamaica before he could play.

Now remember, the British Emipire including the Commonwealth, allow dual citizenship! The USA DOES NOT RECOGNIZE DUAL CITIZENSHIP!

Our infamous David Johnson played for England U23's and you know the story(ies) there after!! Jamaica, England, Wales, Scotland, Northern Ireland, etc, etc......

Comment

Originally posted by Gamma View Post
            well, he hasn't played an A international so he should be eligible.

what is throwing me off though is the choice by 21, it would seem to suggest that the option to "change" allegiance can only be done up to age 21.

how would that affect players who hold a british passport but never played for england at any level? my guess is that for those players, they must first get a jamaican passport.
            That also has me wondering? It may very well mean they should have acquired that country's citizenship before 21?

...but two things:
            i) If you are a citizen you are a citizen even if you never had a passport!

...and...

ii) How can you change allegiance if you have never played an "A Match"? ...in other words if you have never played how could you have been "holding allegiance"?

Comment

Let me remind you that Jason Euell made a switch after his 21st birthday to play for Jamaica. FIFA was trying to block it based on the fact that he had played for England under-21 and was over 21 at the time when he wanted to play for Jamaica. The good Captain had to remind the FIFA experts that Jason was a de facto Jamaican by descent and therefore should not be held to the age 21 criteria.

I think the same applies to a Jermaine Pennant, Rohan Ricketts or any other if they are interested in playing for us. The fact that they have not had an official A game for England and the fact that they are Jamaicans by descent should mean they could be allowed to play the same way Jason was allowed. Any of those guys can apply for a Jamaican passport because their citizenship is indubitable. They can consider themselves either English or Jamaican for that matter.
              "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

see tilla's explanation below.

Comment

Working...
                X