• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Of Jamaica football and 'Portmorisation'

Of Jamaica football and 'Portmorisation'

( L - R ) Durrent Brown, Theodore Whitmore - file photos

Western Bureau
    I really had a good laugh this past Tuesday morning when I read a sports story in The Gleaner under the caption, 'Simoes, McIntosh dismiss claims as unjust', which outlined an almost comical response to allegations that national football is being taken over by persons with Portmore United interests for selfish reasons.
    In the article, written by my colleague Ainsley Walters, both Howard McIntosh, in his capacity as a director of Portmore United; and René Simoes, as national technical director, tried to rubbish the allegations, which carries the tag, the 'Portmorisation of national football.' After reading it several times, I had no choice but to consider the sentiments expressed as more comical than serious.
    While it is absolutely true that Portmore currently sits atop the standing in the local Cash Plus Premier League football competition and is quite a decent team by local standards, I just can't see the justification in having six Portmore United players in a national squad, which includes almost our full contingent of foreign-based stars.

More exposure

In trying to defend what I would consider the indefensible, I believe Mr McIntosh left himself open to ridicule by suggesting that Mr Simoes would not jeopardise his job as national technical director by being partial to Portmore United. I really had to read that section of the article several times before concluding that nothing was wrong with my eyes.
    'I don't know who is trying to fool whom, but when one looks at the persons now calling the shots within the ranks of the Jamaica Football Federation (JFF), I seriously doubt that Mr Simoes would be penalised even if he selects a team consisting only of Portmore United players. The truth is, the more exposure the Portmore United players get the more marketable they will ultimately become.
    Mr Simoes' feeble attempt to justify the large number of Portmore United players in the national team by comparing the Portmore situation to that of western Jamaica in the 1994-96 era is amusing at best. I really hope Mr Simoes was misquoted.
    Nobody with their faculties intact could compare gems such as Theodore 'Tappa' Whitmore, Stephen 'Shorty' Malcolm, Paul 'Tegat' Davis, Durrent Brown, Hector Wright, Winston Anglin and Warren Barrett to what is now being passed off by Portmore United as national material. We had players, who could not make the national team in the 1990s, who are twice as good as some of the players now wearing the national colours.

Politically correct

I flatly refuse to believe that the Mr Simoes, who worked extensively with the western players in the 'Road to France Campaign' and got such excellent results out of them, could honestly compare them to some of the players who took the field in the second half of the recently friendly international against Trinidad and Tobago.
    Instead of trying to be politically correct about the Portmore United influence on the national team, I think Mr Simoes would be better served explaining to the nation the rationale behind his decision to select so many Portmore United players for the recent training camp in Brazil. On the evidence of what was seen against Trinidad and Tobago, the justification is missing.
    Personally, I think it is easy to understand why some people believe there is an incestuous relationship between Portmore United and the national team. Based on reports I have heard, it would appear that Portmore United players were the only ones in line for possible professional contracts because they were the only ones who had officials from their club there to negotiate on their behalf.
    Incidentally, if it is really true that Portmore United officials were in Brazil negotiating contracts on behalf of players from their club, it would definitely bring some ethical questions into the picture. While I would want the best for all local clubs, I believe it would be wrong to be using Jamaica's resources to do Portmore United's business.
    NB. Feel free to send your feedback to adrianfrater@hotmail.com.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

What is this breddah talking about. He is not comparing their abilities to Tappa and Co.
    Whether or not we had players then who couldn't make the national team, but could play if they were playing today has no relevance.

Then he goes further to say by the eveidence against Trinidad, it cannot be justified. Is this fellow forgetting what happened recently with our all local teams.

Comment

Umm article of two points. I disagree with the first statement or the gist of the fist statement. Simoes is not comparing Tappa and Hector era to these players in terms of talent but in terms of the scenario that saw a lot of players from the West. Again you could argue the comparison is flawed because those palyers came from multiple clubs. As for the fact that Pmore exec were in Brazil thats a bit not accurate as they were there in the capacity of JFF executives. Again I asked tell me the players who should be there and are not there.

Comment

Sass .. whey yuh deh? Dis breddah yah nuh know what him talking bout.

Nobody with their faculties intact could compare gems such as Theodore 'Tappa' Whitmore, Stephen 'Shorty' Malcolm, Paul 'Tegat' Davis, Durrent Brown, Hector Wright, Winston Anglin and Warren Barrett to what is now being passed off by Portmore United as national material
        "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Bredrin, from an objective standpoint I agree with this article more than I disagree with it because he is making a lot of sense. First of all, you may need to re-read the article because I don't believe the writer stated that Mr. Simoes is comparing the talent pool of Portmore vs The west players during the france 98 campaign, but rather making that point himself that it was justified back then as opposed to now.

Comment

I believe that this writer is spot on with his comparison as the past players that he named from the west were leagues ahead of most local players in the squad today...or should I say Portmore players?

Comment

So we should recall Theodore 'Tappa' Whitmore, Stephen 'Shorty' Malcolm, Paul 'Tegat' Davis, Durrent Brown, Hector Wright, Winston Anglin and Warren Barrett? I don't get it? Why didn't he name current players from the west that should be there at the expense of the Portmore players?

Comment

Making a point that it was justified back then. He does not speak about who should have been picked and the performance of the Portmore players in the league, so him talking about shame in comparing them to that set and those who couldn't make the team back then is a waste of time.

On another note, who are these TWICE AS GOOD players from back then that could not get into the team.

Comment

It is this elementary level of reasoning that kill a conversation and push people to stay away from this forum sometimes. Now how and why did you come up with this silliness only father God knows. Should Brazil recall Pele, Garrincha and the rest of the greats of yesteryear? I am not saying that the portmore players should not be called because I believe every player deserves a chance to prove his worth, and I am not really familiar with the present player pool from the west. However, it seems almost too coincidental the number of Portmore players on the present squad, contract negotiations by JFF administrators who "happens" to be representatives of the club and players in question, and if you want to go a bit further...the academy issue, moving to Portmore after getting a panel and coach to further their cause. Be objective for a moment and try to reason without allowing your emotions to supercede your intelligence. As for me, I am not on anyone's side because my primary concern is the success of Jamaica's Football, whoever the movers and shakers are...let them be, as long as our football benefits.

Comment

I think we need to separate the trees from the forest though... again I would like someone to say player A is Better than player B and he is not called. To say they are too many Pmore players without telling me who the overlooked players is dont really convince me there is an issue. Will Reid use this to thier advantage and gain. Off course! but so will any other club. The one player I can say that I think should be there and is not is dwakins only becasuse he has constantly been on the fringes and would make anyone of the NPL teams.

Comment

Originally posted by Sensi View Post
                      It is this elementary level of reasoning that kill a conversation and push people to stay away from this forum sometimes.
                      Elementary reasoning? Why were the likes of Tappa et al compared to the current Portmore players? Now if he had said they were head and shoulders above players from the Kingston sides of that era and further went on to show that the current Portmore players do not have that same separation from the current players from the west then he may have had a point. Bout elementary. If yuh likkle brain cyaan handle di logic dat's on you

Comment

Originally posted by Bricktop View Post
                        So we should recall Theodore 'Tappa' Whitmore, Stephen 'Shorty' Malcolm, Paul 'Tegat' Davis, Durrent Brown, Hector Wright, Winston Anglin and Warren Barrett? I don't get it? Why didn't he name current players from the west that should be there at the expense of the Portmore players?
                        Exactly!! Who are the players that are suppose to be better than the Portmore group? This is just another example of our "crab innah barrell" mentality. The most consistent team in the CPPL since its move towards some semblence of professionality has been t Portmore along with the likes of H/View. If I am not mistaken, I have read several articles from this same journalist where he's bemoaning the lack of quality or organization coming out of the west.

I admire the fact that there are journalist in Jamaica who are not star struck by the re-emergence of Rene Simoes and the Horaces to our national program. And also, that they are willing to question the decisions and direction that they feel the program is heading in. But making grandiose statements and not supporting it with facts or solutions is not good journalism IMO. I suggest that those questioning the ability of those running the program to select the best available talent (along with the integrity of these gentlemen) provide some alternative to the "Portmorization". Or at least back up their arguments with some proof of players who are being marginalise at the expense of the Portmpre group.

Comment

Much ado about nothing again, sometime it just seem like we can't see the wider view because the massive nose of ignorance, prejudice and self promotion get in the way everytime. Simoes left Brazil fi come ah ja to push Portmore, wow Portmore must be paying him some massive money to get him on their side or maybe they paying him with some fish and festival ah Hellshire, hell I could be bribed with that as well, it is already clear to Simoes that the local talent don't have the software and the discipline to play the level of ball to make it through the next round neva mind the hex, thus the reason why he is going to scout extensively abroad, next controversy will be the never ending yardie vs cockney debate, why so much Cockney when we have so much talented yard youth etc etc. What a blouse and skirt waste of time!!!

Comment

the discussion is healthy just would like them to say who should be in the dide over the Pmore players.

Comment

I could name you two. Caple Donaldson and Donald Hewitt were twice as good as any of the midfielders who represented the Boyz in the recent games. Now over to you sir.

Comment

Working...
                              X