X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wasting the Trelawny stadium

Wasting the Trelawny stadium

Western Bureau
    Last weekend I went up to the Trelawny Multi-purpose Stadium for the Jamacia Super Cricket Cup game between the Trelawny parish team and their Westmore-land counterparts, and like last year during the build-up to ICC Cricket World Cup, I was all but blown away by the beauty of the facility.

As I watched the cricketers parading their skills on the scenic outfield, instead of being elated, I found myself being overcome by a feeling of disappointment, if not sadness. My feelings had nothing to do with the quality of the game that was being played, but more so out of the acceptance that the stadium is being stifled of international cricket for no good reason.

It seems almost nonsensical that after spending US$30 million to construct this magnificent facility, which can rival some of the better cricket grounds in the world, except for the occasional curry goat-style or parish match, this excellent facility has not hosted a major cricket match of either the four-day or one-day variety since drawing such rave reviews during the World Cup.

From all indications, it would appear that the power brokers in Jamaica's cricket, inclusive of many persons who did not want to see the stadium built in Trelawny, and even went as far as to suggest that it would become a white elephant, are now hell-bent on ensuring that this facility becomes a symbol of wastefulness rather than one of pride for western Jamaica.

I am not suggesting that because the Trelawny stadium won such glowing reviews during the hosting of the World Cup opening ceremony, and is considered an exquisite facility, it should automatically take over as the venue of choice here in Jamaica. However, even if only to recoup some of the money spent on construction, I believe it should be sharing international games with Sabina Park.

Based on discussions I have had with persons familiar with the intricate details about the administration of Jamaica's cricket, it would appear that because of the economic spin-off some people get when games are played in Kingston, there is a general reluctance to having games staged at rural venues because of the selfishness of these individuals. And that view apparently holds, even when some games at Sabina Park only attract the proverbial one man and a dog.

While there are not many guarantees in life, I feel absolutely sure that, because of its strategic location between the sugar and bauxite belt - Westmoreland, St Elizabeth Trelawny, St James and St Ann - the Trelawny stadium would be a natural crowd-puller because these are traditionally strong areas when it comes to supporting cricket in general, not just international cricket.

One just need to look back at the type of support that was generated for the World Cup warm-up games at the Trelawny stadium to realise that people on the western side of the island really love their cricket. If they went out and support Kenya, the Netherlands and India, I am sure that even out of just patriotism, they would definitely go out to support Jamaica and the West Indies.

Expensive upkeep
    Based on the most recent reports on the maintenance situation at the Trelawny stadium, it appears to be a most expensive situation. Unless the ultimate plan is to abandon the stadium, it would make good sense to start using the facility to help generate the revenue needed for its upkeep. I am just hoping that Sports Minister Olivia 'Babsy' Grange will quickly realise this.

Unlike their football counterparts, which can fairly claim that the west is not getting any international games because we lack a really suitable venue for proper revenue generation, the Jamaica Cricket Board (JCB) faces no such situation. As former West Indies captain Brian Lara said during the Cricket World Cup last year, the Trelawny Multi-purpose Stadium is a fantastic facility with great potential.

I am sincerely hoping that the members of the JCB from this part of the island will have the courage to speak up in support of the Trelawny stadium when venues are being decided for future international games. They should not allow themselves to be dragged into the belief that Kingston is Jamaica, and that the Trelawny facility is destined to become a white elephant.

NB. Feel free to send your feedback to adrianfrater@hotmail.com

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

How could this facility be used for football?

(NB: I have never been there!)
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

here is the problem ! Although a good article he is positioning this as a cricket stadium. Why not play football there. Mo take some pic and post when you can...

Comment

Saw a match at Sabina over the weekend, one of those Jamaican Super League matches, and the stands were virtually empty. Yes, HL, football is more popular than cricket in Jamaica, any day of the year!

And now we have two stadia! We can't get a half decent crowd into Sabina so we build a nicer one in Trelawny.

I guess we really believe in that build it and they'll come bull!

Jamaica does not need any more cricket grounds, unless somehow we can get Stanford to do some marketing for us. What we do need are some football grounds. The Trelawny stadium needs to be considered a football venue that is ocassionally used for other sports. That might help its prospects.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by OJ View Post
          here is the problem ! Although a good article he is positioning this as a cricket stadium. Why not play football there. Mo take some pic and post when you can...
          Yuh seit, tuh?

Comment

I am just reading your post and OJ's and I see where we are all saying the same thing - use the stadium as a football stadium! The number of cricket fans in Jamaica could not fill the stands at Cornwall College, yet we have 2 world-class facilities. For what!?!?

I'll take and send pics soon!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
              I am just reading your post and OJ's and I see where we are all saying the same thing - use the stadium as a football stadium! The number of cricket fans in Jamaica could not fill the stands at Cornwall College, yet we have 2 world-class facilities. For what!?!?

I'll take and send pics soon!
              Yuh nuh seit!

...& Thanks for the pics!
              Sure the Massive would luv seeing them.

Comment

Village Utd have been refused occupancy of the stadium, which is sad
                Wadadah (peace & love)

Comment

Dem can use it hold PASSA PASSA and DUTTY FRIDAZE dat way it can go till morning

Comment

Not enough time has elapsed for it to be declared a White Elephant... maybe a White Elephant egg..

Comment

support you a lot brethren.
                      • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Working...
                      X