The Road to success always under construction - Simoes Ltr

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Road to success always under construction - Simoes Ltr

The Road to success is always under construction (Cicero)
    I already have the team for our first World Cup Qualifier in my mind…………..”

Dear Jamaicans.

It is a long, long time since I arrived here for my first stint as the Jamaica Football Federation‘s Technical Director. My first game was in October ‘94 against the USA and we were beaten by 3 x 0. This was the first and the only defeat that we experienced in that time in the National Stadium.

My second stint, as you know just started this year in January and already we played two games at the National Stadium. The result has been two draws: 1 x 1 against Costa Rica and 2 x 2 against Trinidad and Tobago. Over the years, the “Reggae Boyz” have done so well at the National Stadium that it was renamed “The Office”. I have never been booed with the Reggae Boyz before this last game, but as in life, everything has its first time and our time came.

So at this last game we were booed loudly by the fans who were clearly not happy with the result of the game. I hope that the boos were for me, because the players didn’t take a decision to change the team at half time and in the second half either….I accept that I have to apologise to everyone because this game was seen by many as a derby and in sports, a derby is not a game to experiment, it is a game to beat the rival badly as we did in 1997 by 6 x 2, the largest margin of defeat in all the history of the games between Jamaica and Trinidad.

Even though a National Team never stops experimenting, the derby is different. Look at the Brazilian National Team’s last friendly match against Sweden. We can see that the Coach used six Under 23 players to see their reaction and to continue building the U-23 team for the Olympics. The Coach used an Under -20 player Alexandre Pato as a senior player.

Why? One may ask if Brasil has players like Adriano, Luiz Fabiano, Vagner Love and others? The experiment in national teams never ends; there is a continuous research for a good Chemistry and the right players. It is also so in our case, but I don’t have any doubt the team we will place to face the Bahamas . I have the team already in my mind.

It would be a lost opportunity if I don’t address you on another problem that has become a point of discussion in our football fraternity. It is being said that PORTMORE’ players are the favorites of the national program, because Mr. Reid, the General Secretary and others have voice on team selection

First of all let me make it abundantly clear that the day that happens, I will not be here any more. Please take my word on that and charge me anytime.

Secondly, in 1994 through to 1996, the country complained that the national team belonged to the West. That time we had Theodore Whitmore, Shorty Malcom, ‘Tegat’ Davis, Donovan Ricketts, Durant Brown, Hector Wright, Winston Anglin, Warren Barrett, Anthony ‘Terminator’ Dennis and others. At that time the focus was on Seba, Wadadah and Violet Kickers. The answer I gave then was that they had the best players and I will invite them.

So let us look at the current facts:
    For the training camp for the game against Costa Rica., we had: from Water House, 3 players; Harbour View, 5 players (if Fabian Taylor was not injured it would have been six); Portmore, 6 players; Tivoli, 3 players. From a total of 24 players, 17 were from the capital.

For the Brazilian training camp (without Harbour View players), Water house had 7 players; Tivoli 3 players; and Portmore 8 players. Again from 24 players, 18 were from three clubs.

Let us look at the Brazilian National team for the World Cup in 1970. It was composed of Gerson, Rildo, Jairzinho, Paulo Cesar, Roberto, Brito; six players from Botafogo and then Pele, Carlos Alberto Torres, Claodoaldo, Joel, Edu, all from Santos. Those were the best players and the best team at that time. Why not call them, the best club has to be punished because they have the best?

I will not change my way do things because there is a perception for this or for that. My way is just one and I will follow it….
    We are in the right track in our program. Don’t allow a few to make yoube in doubt.
    May God bless you all.

March 30, 2008

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Simoes has certainly change since his last stint and I am happy that he decided that it is necessary to address some of the issues being bantered about. However, I will suggest to Mr. simoes that he not try to response to ever whimper and whinning by some in the media. The fact is, since his return he has lost one game while using a series of different team selections and he has given quite a few players a run in the squad. Allow the man a chance to develop the team that he feels would give us the best chance to qualify. The football administrators in our country inability to work as one for the betterment of the program is not Simoes fault. We had Bora and decided to do away with him and give Simoes 6-7 months to prepare for our first qualifier. Simoes has been away from the country for seven years he needs time to get to know the current players. Whether the 6-months that he got is enough is another debate that only time will answer.

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
      The Road to success is always under construction (Cicero)
      I already have the team for our first World Cup Qualifier in my mind…………..”

Dear Jamaicans.

Even though a National Team never stops experimenting, the derby is different. Look at the Brazilian National Team’s last friendly match against Sweden. We can see that the Coach used six Under 23 players to see their reaction and to continue building the U-23 team for the Olympics. The Coach used an Under -20 player Alexandre Pato as a senior player.

Why? One may ask if Brasil has players like Adriano, Luiz Fabiano, Vagner Love and others? The experiment in national teams never ends; there is a continuous research for a good Chemistry and the right players. It is also so in our case, but I don’t have any doubt the team we will place to face the Bahamas . I have the team already in my mind.
      Brazil is Brazil!
      ...for example, currently there is a debate on whether or not Alexandre Pato is not the best forward Brazil has.

All the players could arguably be "best available" at that time!

Point is the Brazilian youngsters by performance DEMANDED a LOOK-IN!

It would be a lost opportunity if I don’t address you on another problem that has become a point of discussion in our football fraternity. It is being said that PORTMORE’ players are the favorites of the national program, because Mr. Reid, the General Secretary and others have voice on team selection

First of all let me make it abundantly clear that the day that happens, I will not be here any more. Please take my word on that and charge me anytime.

Secondly, in 1994 through to 1996, the country complained that the national team belonged to the West. That time we had Theodore Whitmore, Shorty Malcom, ‘Tegat’ Davis, Donovan Ricketts, Durant Brown, Hector Wright, Winston Anglin, Warren Barrett, Anthony ‘Terminator’ Dennis and others. At that time the focus was on Seba, Wadadah and Violet Kickers. The answer I gave then was that they had the best players and I will invite them.

So let us look at the current facts:
      For the training camp for the game against Costa Rica., we had: from Water House, 3 players; Harbour View, 5 players (if Fabian Taylor was not injured it would have been six); Portmore, 6 players; Tivoli, 3 players. From a total of 24 players, 17 were from the capital.

For the Brazilian training camp (without Harbour View players), Water house had 7 players; Tivoli 3 players; and Portmore 8 players. Again from 24 players, 18 were from three clubs.

Let us look at the Brazilian National team for the World Cup in 1970. It was composed of Gerson, Rildo, Jairzinho, Paulo Cesar, Roberto, Brito; six players from Botafogo and then Pele, Carlos Alberto Torres, Claodoaldo, Joel, Edu, all from Santos. Those were the best players and the best team at that time. Why not call them, the best club has to be punished because they have the best?

I will not change my way do things because there is a perception for this or for that. My way is just one and I will follow it….
      We are in the right track in our program. Don’t allow a few to make yoube in doubt.
      May God bless you all.

March 30, 2008
      The 2nd point is the way it should always be ONLY THE BEST!

Aside:
      I have no quarrel with Simoes' selected players. I just wonder about the method of the substitutions?

However...I have to believe that teacher Simoes previously saw performances - (possible in that Brazil tour and in the EPL???) - that made him come to the conclusion that his student-subs could handle the assignment! Unfortunately the students did not live up to the expectations of the teacher. It happens at times!
      Last edited by Karl; March 31, 2008, 08:51 AM.
      "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Criticism isn't necessarily a bad thing, especially when Simoes has made concessions.
        The Reggaeboyz is to Simoes what Simoes is to the Reggaeboyz.
        A coach/TD that has the record for qualifying the most countries was dismissed, Simoes stint at T&T......
        His job wasn't finished in the first half!

Blessed

Comment

Originally posted by Brush View Post
          Simoes has certainly change since his last stint and I am happy that he decided that it is necessary to address some of the issues being bantered about. However, I will suggest to Mr. simoes that he not try to response to ever whimper and whinning by some in the media. The fact is, since his return he has lost one game while using a series of different team selections and he has given quite a few players a run in the squad. Allow the man a chance to develop the team that he feels would give us the best chance to qualify. The football administrators in our country inability to work as one for the betterment of the program is not Simoes fault. We had Bora and decided to do away with him and give Simoes 6-7 months to prepare for our first qualifier. Simoes has been away from the country for seven years he needs time to get to know the current players. Whether the 6-months that he got is enough is another debate that only time will answer.
          In terms of putting together a TEAM and working with the core group of players - neither Bora or Simoes have had 6 months! We must start being fair to our coaches! Actual time available to spend with TEACHING...making TEAM should be used.

Imagine a coach appointed a year before qualifiers and meets his TEAM - actual players who will start...3 or 4 days before his first qualifier? Can anyone really claim that coach had 1 year to prepare?
          "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

fair argument and fair response from the TD.

Comment

Rockman here is the question. What was the job?

Comment

What did our youths do not to deserve a chance?

In most other team throughout the world they include 18 and 20 year olds even if them have better players. Do you think Plato is the best striker in Brazil?

Simply yes or no will do.
                • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Where were you when we a pick up 7-1 in the middle east?
                  • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

I do not understand what the issue is. Is this not the time to experiment..and to look at players who would not otherwise have a chance to play in games of this nature..to build a stonger base of players?? Who cares if you would have beaten T&T 6-0 in a friendly if you get knocked out in the first/second round of quailfying....friendlies are just what they are titled.

Comment

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
                      What did our youths do not to deserve a chance?
                      Wrong question!
                      What has the JFF and the clubs done to develop these players?

In most other team throughout the world they include 18 and 20 year olds even if them have better players.
                      Yes, they do!
                      Why?
                      Most countries in the world are not in the TOP OF THE WORLD grouping or even in the next 25 grouping (i.e. 26-50)...and do not follow best practises as far as development of players is concerned. In a nutshell most countries in the world, as does our Jamaica, have NONSENSE POLICIES in place.

There is a reason why they are outside TOP OF THE WORLD grouping.

Perhaps, it is your looking at the many strugglers why you ignore the "best practises" of the achievers. Do not worry...many fanz do that looking at 'mass' while overlooking the elite.

Do you think Plato is the best striker in Brazil? Simply yes or no will do.
                      Well he plays outside of Brazil and he certainly is not, in my opinion, the best striker in the world.

Is he the best Brazilian striker?
                      Maybe not! ...but then Brazil, as do TOP OF THE WORLD teams look to having 5 or 6 TOP WORLD strikers! He could very well be one of BRAZILs top 6 strikers...but again you are 'fishing'...

...your question suggests you do not understand what the Brazilian coach and that also applies by extention to top international coaches, are looking for when selecting group of players to represent them...and the country which they coach.

The top international coaches...and all top coaches...look for the best technical and tactical players who fit within those top coaches concept of how they want the TEAM to perform.

It means that although top quality technical and tactical players are required...arguably the very best in the country at a particular position may not fit within the "best possible team" the coach envisions. Besides in top coaches minds as they preparre for tournaments the TEAM is seen as a "i" & "ii" collection of individuals.

i - The best take-the-field X1.

...and...

ii. - The best collection of individual players that fit TEAM concept and the total number of players the rules of the competition allows and how, if and when contingencies arise, that mix shall give the coach best TEAM grouping...best take-the-field grouping from each pre-match set of available players.

To move on:
                      You may not understand the difference between "best striker" and "best forward" ...but from the little I have seen of him, in my opinion - Plato is simply one of the best forwards in the World! He is in the Brazilian TEAM because he deserves to be there! He was not given a bly! He, by a series of performances at the lower levels i.e. outside of the Brazilian TEAM level, earned his place!
                      Last edited by Karl; March 31, 2008, 12:24 PM.

Comment

Simoes have time !

Him nuh si dem crucify Jesus.

Simoes, yuh nuh have time fi ah respond to rabble.. juss duh yuh job.

Comment

Well Thomas deserve to be in the Jamaican team based on his performance in Dcup and the under 21 league if the lower leagues count.

Brazil can be looking to have 5 forwards including their youngster but Jamaica shouldn't?

Tell me how is Plato one a the best in the world? At this point in his career who is he better than? Let me hear that crap now.

You make up your rules as you go along. Simoes come as a coach and look for his best, should he make the mistep of the JFF and others affect is job? Unnu so use to substandard that unnu accept that excuse everytime.

Simoes a big man him say "I Am to blame" everythime mi turn round unnu make excuse fi some coach a say a true them a nuh foriegner, a tru nuh money nuh deh, this that and the other and accept and buy into the no developement. As the Commish say police fi stop use them gun and "use them brain" Nuff a we fall inna that trap. We use to Arsenal and Manu too much because them can buy players from others when them short inna any area. Simoes don't have that luxury he has to make a judgement call and develop his players. He knows players going to fail but give them a chance to develop if them have talent..

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Moravek View Post
                            I do not understand what the issue is. Is this not the time to experiment..and to look at players who would not otherwise have a chance to play in games of this nature..to build a stonger base of players?? Who cares if you would have beaten T&T 6-0 in a friendly if you get knocked out in the first/second round of quailfying....friendlies are just what they are titled.

...but you may care on - did I give my players best possible chance to show me what they have? ...and or - did I give then a fair chance at 'learning' & 'growing'?

...and a host of other things!

...it also means you would have to look at the down side - Did I do that most terrible of all things a teacher could do - Put the wrong concept(s) in the students mind?

...then later having to ask the student to 'erase that'...and insert the 'correct'?!

Some students once the teacher has 'marred'...for life remains confused...and or have to take just that moment to reconnect with 'the correct'. That is 'bad'!

Could the matter of the performance and the crowd reaction 'stay' with the students for life...and could the teacher have used another method and prevented that 'possible life-long scar'?

Just asking!

Comment

I think many over analyze what a coach may be thinking or a player for that matter. At the end of the day it is very simple. A coach needs to see players in action..not just in practice..not in just closed door situations. He must give the players he has invited an opportunity to show themselves in these types of games. Period..end of Story. And in Jamaica's case...it is all the more important to broaden the player base.

Some players will do well...some others will not cope with the crowd and freeze. But if you keep bringing them along, exposing them in games and they have the attributes needed to contribute...then they will be fine. Not all players can manage though after a number of these games though and that is how you are able to better define your player pool.

With all this said...friendlies are a good practice for players and coaches. They give you so many opportunities you would otherwise not have to look at players and how they react in situations. But I wouldn't place to much importance on results in these fixtures. How many games have Jamaica won that actually counted for something...like WC qualifying...these are the games that matter and should be judged.

Comment

Working...
                              X