The Trinis should have picked up 6!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Trinis should have picked up 6!

At half time, most people around me thought the Trinis were going to pick up a 6-0 by the final whistle. That was how Jamaica had run rings around this weak T&T delegation. Yes, T&T had a goal disallowed under strange circumstances, and who knows what would have happened had it been allowed to stand, but certainly, for most of the game, including the last 20 minutes, it was all Jamaica. Trinidad did have some good moments, and their number 10 was a handful for our defenders. Substitute Telford gave them some life and a goal.

The Trinis had no answer for the blinding speed of Shelton, Daley, Phillips and Woodbine, in particular. Had it not been for some poor crossing, some selfish and unintelligent play by some of our players and desperate T&T defending, it could have been 4-1 at halftime. Easy!

Luton did not make a mistake with his first touch, a vast improvement. His passing decisions still need some work.

The goal from King was sheer master class – control, spin, curling shot to the far corner. Worldclass! Held up the ball well and got his teammates into the game.

Phillips was his usual excited self, working well with Woodbine on the left. A sizzling shot from open field that came within inches from the crossbar in the second half was his best moment.

Oneil Thompson was decent in midfield, showing off some unusual skill from time to time. His clumsy challenge on top of the 18 gave away a freekick that I do believe led to the first Trini goal.

Austin was okay in midfield, not his usual dominating self, and misfired on some of his passes. Did not have an opportunity to unleash that cannon ball.

Omar Daley was his usual lively self in midfield, overlapping well and supplying decent crosses from time to time.

Demar Stewart did not inspire confidence in defence. Many thought it was his fault why T&T appeared dangerous in attack as he lost his opponents on a regular basis.

Adrian Reid also appeared a little out of sorts. A comical moment was when he and Stewart simultaneously went for and misjudged a high T&T clearance, almost resulting in a T&T player running unchallenged to goal.

Marshall was his usual solid self. He just might be our leading goalscorer this campaign.

Shrek really had little to do in goal. He cannot be blamed for the two Trini goals and his distribution was calm and sensible all night.

Then there were the changes – off went King for Burton, Thompson for Khari, Daley for Cousins (PMU), Shelton for James Thomas (PMU) and Phillips for Wolfe (PMU). Burton continues to display his absolutely amazing first touch and missed the upright by a foot or so. He holds up the ball well, supports the play, passes to his teammates, but he continues to get a cussing from the fans. I wonder what would have happened had he scored. Khari was solid in midfield, Thomas didn’t get the ball very much and I can’t remember Wolfe’s contribution. I do remember the contribution of Cousins, however, and it was not pretty. What should have been a simple cross into the area from the right channel was turned into some seal-like crap, resulting in a turnover to the Trinis. Then he attempts a spectacular clearance on top of his own 18, missed, fell on his ass as some Trini capitalizes and hits a saveable but deflected shot that ties the score.

I thought the defence appeared bumbling, making up for errors by their raw speed and strength. Then again, how hard is it to push a Trini off a ball?! Midfield was particularly lively, with Red Bull-like energy from Phillips, Austin, Daley and Cousins (hrmph!). Forward line was busy too, but I am not happy with the communication between King and Shelton. I would certainly give it some time to develop, however. For me, Fuller was not missed!

Find of the game – Obrian Woodbine. I recall this young man terrorizing a Munro daCosta Cup team two years ago while playing for Frome. Good to see him develop. He looked comfortable out there and another speed king.

Saw Gardner in the stands. Good to see him walking around comfortably after reports about bruised ribs.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

The defense line looked shabby, any a dem went on the tour to Brazil?
    Six days I work for my children, on the seventh day they work for me.
    Mitty

Comment

Adrian Reid and Obrian Woodbine were in Brazil. Even though Woodbine's exploits did not make the headlines as the Portmore players' did, I heard from his fellow Brazil tour teammates that he did very, very well down there. He was not bad yesterday either.

A second look at the game could change my opinion on some players!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

I wonder if Simoes going to consider putting Oneil Thompson in the Defense. I think he and Shavar could be a solid partnership. He could then move Khari or someone else beside Austin.

Comment

Khari and Austin cannot play together as their game is too similar.

I am still not convinced about Austin...too slow on the ball and often times indecisive when pressured. He is a one trick pony...if him nuh get fi unleash his bomb his contribution will go unnotice.
          He went on trial twice and still did not get a contract. Base on that fact he should not be a shoe-in for the national side...I rather see Khari starting.
          Last edited by Mitty; March 27, 2008, 11:55 AM.
          Mitty

Comment

Originally posted by Mitty View Post
            Khari and Austin cannot play together as their game is too similar.

I am still not convinced about Austin...too slow on the ball and often times undecisive when pressured. He is a one trick pony...if him nuh get fi unleash his bomb his contribution will go unnotice.
            He went on trial twice and still did not get a contract. Base on that fact he should not be a shoe-in for the national side...I rather see Khari starting.

Austin went on trial and GOT a contract. He didn't have the caps to qualify for his work permit.

If Oneil Thompson and Morrison can play in the same midfield with Austin, there is no reason Khari can't. Is Downswell start play Khari as a defensive midfielder. Before that he has always been an attacking/goalscoring midfielder. If we are playing with two pacey attacking flackers, nothing wrong with having two deeper players in the middle.

Comment

some body sour yes

Comment

dat doan sound right, but then again, yuh is a trini.

was good to see a policeman hold his ground against some idiot in a trini diplomat vehicle whose driver was attempting to go up the wrong way of a one-way street. as an upstanding citizen, i was ready to turn back and help out if need be!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

well at least you know that we sent a weak team !!

Comment

Apparantly

Comment

Austin went on trial and GOT a contract. He didn't have the caps to qualify for his work permit.
                      And even if he gets the caps, he might not be able to get a work permit as Jamaica is ranked in the 100s.
                      "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post

Luton did not make a mistake with his first touch, a vast improvement. His passing decisions still need some work.
                        That is very good news! I've been saying all along that Shelton needs to improve his first touch and decision making. One down, one more to go. He has the potential to be our best striker if his first touch, vision, and decision making improves.

Comment

[quote=Mosiah;91529]
                          At half time, most people around me thought the Trinis were going to pick up a 6-0 by the final whistle. That was how Jamaica had run rings around this weak T&T delegation. Yes, T&T had a goal disallowed under strange circumstances, and who knows what would have happened had it been allowed to stand, but certainly, for most of the game, including the last 20 minutes, it was all Jamaica. Trinidad did have some good moments, and their number 10 was a handful for our defenders. Substitute Telford gave them some life and a goal.

I agree with the assessment of the first half, but based on the commentary I heard from the commentators in the second half it was clear that the boyz had a few moments but the tables had turned in Trinidad's favor after half time.

The Trinis had no answer for the blinding speed of Shelton, Daley, Phillips and Woodbine, in particular. Had it not been for some poor crossing, some selfish and unintelligent play by some of our players and desperate T&T defending, it could have been 4-1 at halftime. Easy!
                          You have to learn in this game called football that there is no woulda, coulda, shoulda scenario. You play to your strengths and the opponents weaknesses. No excuses. This game clearly shows that this team still needs alot of work. Simoes doesnt have the luxury of time to prepare for the qualifiers. You can thank Boxhill for that. He must be the worst president ever in the JFF history.

The only bright light to this whole game is that Fuller was no where near this team.

Comment

[quote=Warlord;91607]
                            Originally posted by Mosiah View Post

I agree with the assessment of the first half, but based on the commentary I heard from the commentators in the second half it was clear that the boyz had a few moments but the tables had turned in Trinidad's favor after half time.

You have to learn in this game called football that there is no woulda, coulda, shoulda scenario. You play to your strengths and the opponents weaknesses. No excuses. This game clearly shows that this team still needs alot of work. Simoes doesnt have the luxury of time to prepare for the qualifiers. You can thank Boxhill for that. He must be the worst president ever in the JFF history.

The only bright light to this whole game is that Fuller was no where near this team.
                            Wah Fuller duh yuh?
                            Just asking!
                            "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Please fill me in as I must have missed something. I did not know he was offered a contract.
                              Austin went on trial the first time and did not get a contract. He was invited a second time and was offered a contract knowing he lacked the requisite match appearances for his national team. I can understand if the club did not know he did not have the necessary caps to secure a contract on the first trial, but the second... you sure they didn't offer him a contract knowing he could not execute it.
                              How Demar Phillips a play fi Waterhouse one day and the next day him de a England a play ball. Am I missing something there too?...Please fill me in.

I wish him all the best and I hope he gets the caps so he can qualify for a foreign contract. But, he needs to add a forward passing element to his game... I would start a more experience Khari in front of Austin.
                              Mitty

Comment

Working...
                              X