• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gardner to miss friendly game against T&T

Gardner to miss friendly game against T&T
    By Howard Walker Observer staff reporter
    walkerh@jamaicaobserver.com
    Sunday, March 23, 2008

Reggae Boyz captain, Ricardo "Bibi" Gardner, will miss the international friendly against Trinidad & Tobago on Wednesday because of a request from his struggling club, Bolton Wanderers.

Incidentally, Gardner was substituted in the 46th minute after suffering an apparant rib injury while playing for Bolton in their 0-0 draw with Manchester City yesterday. He was taken to hospital for a scan.
    Gardner was reportedly carried off on a stretcher after landing awkwardly following a challenge from Darius Vassell.

Capt Horace Burrell, president of the Jamaica Football Federation (JFF), while announcing Jamaica's team at a press conference at his office yesterday, said Bolton's request was a tough one to listen to.
    Said Burrell: "Yesterday (Friday), I received a call from the Bolton Wanderers manager and he made a request of the JFF, one which was very tough for us to listen to."

He added: "The matter was discussed with the general secretary, then the technical director, who after long consideration said in the interest of the player and his club and Jamaica, we decided to give him a chance to play for his club this time around.

"They say they are very close to the relegation zone and things are not looking so good," Burrell noted.

Bolton are currently 18th in the 20-team English Premier league on 26 points from 31 games. They are a point behind Birmingham City. The bottom three teams will be relegated to the lower division.

The Jamaican team will also be without veteran defender Ian "Pepe" Goodison, while Ricardo Fuller and Jermaine Johnson were not considered this time around.

Technical director, Rene Simoes, said Fuller was not considered because he already saw him and wanted to have a look at Deon Burton and Luton Shelton and he will have a look at Johnson later.
    Thirteen local-based players, including 19-year-old striker, James Thomas of Portmore United, were selected to complement the 11 overseas-based players.

The other local players are: Goalkeepers: Allien Whittaker (JDF), Duwayne Kerr (Portmore United); defenders: Christopher Harvey (Harbour View), Christopher Jackson (Tivoli Gardens), Obrian Woodbine (Reno), Adrian Reid (Portmore United); midfielders: Wolry Wolfe, Rudolph Austin, Ricardo Cousins (Portmore United), Keniel Moodie (Seba), Hugh Howell (Waterhouse); forwards: Kaemmar Daley (Meadhaven).

The overseas contingent are: Goalkeeper: Donovan Ricketts (Bradford City), defenders: Demar Phillips (Stoke City), Omar Daley (Bradford City), Tyrone Marshall (Toronto FC), Demar Stewart (Royal Whitestar), Oneil Thompson (Notodden Football Club); midfielders: Jamal Campbell-Ryce (Barnsley), Khari Stephenson AIK of Allsvenskan; forwards: Marlon King (Fulham), Luton Shelton (Sheffield United), Deon Burton (Sheffield Wednesday).
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Who will be replacing Bibi and how good is that person

. This was always a premonition or concern if you like for me on the left side of our squad. I am glad this occur for a practice match than the real deal. I hope this side will be taken into account more seriously. Let's see how the side operate without our 2 senior players. I hope Trinidad give our defence a real test or really come to play. I hope the stadium is ramjam...Anybody know of any live free internet feed.

Comment

Yuh nuh answer me question from the other day. What about the right side? You seem to be satisfied with what we have.
      Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

tru man the right side is a natural for us...There is lot of

options....Gerald Neil, Fabian Davis, Tyrone Marshall, Richard Edwards, Zaidie,Khari Stephenson etc. Only Richard Edwards . We can always pull a center back to play right back than left back because most of our centre halves are right footed. Furthermore most teams in concacaf is stronger on their right side offensively.

Comment

Working...
        X