• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ricketts calls for more camps

Ricketts calls for more camps
    published: Thursday | March 20, 2008

Kwesi Mugisa, Staff Reporter

Members of Jamaica's football squad to Brazil at Norman Manley International Airport yesterday. - Junior Dowie/Staff Photographer

THE JAMAICA Football Federation's (JFF) head of delegation to Brazil, Michael Ricketts, hopes the organisation will be able to put on similar excursions in the future as he believes that will go a long way to improving the local talent base.

"It was a successful trip and you could see that the team continued to get better the longer we stayed and they were really strong towards the end," Ricketts said following the return of the local-based men's squad at the Norman Manley International Airport yesterday.

"I think more camps of that nature would be beneficial. It does not have to be that far away, but it would really help the players to develop," he said.

A 42-person contingent, 17 male players and 25 female players, left the island a little over two weeks ago to take part in a camp organised by national technical director, Rene Simoes.

During the tour the women, who returned to the island last week, won two games and lost two while the local men's squad had an even more impressive showing, winning three games, drawing three and losing one.

Some of those results came against highly ranked Brazilian opponents which included Coribita, the club promoted to the Brazilian top flight under Simoes last season, Parana Clube and Atletico Paranaense.

Impact
    In fact, the local-based Boyz are said to have made such an impact that some members of the squad including captain Rudolph Austin, Ricardo Cousins, Adrian Reid and James Thomas, all of Portmore United, are being sought by Brazilian outfits.

The team, which is expected to be joined by an overseas-based contingent this Sunday, will begin its preparations to take on Trinidad and Tobago's Soca Warriors at the National Stadium next Wednesday. Technical director Simoes did not arrive with the team yesterday.
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

'We're better now'
    Boyz say after gruelling three-week Brazilian tourHoward Walker, Observer staff reporter
    walkerh@jamaicaobserver.com

Thursday, March 20, 2008

Jamaican players (from left) Christopher Jackson (Tivoli Gardens), Newton Sterling (Waterhouse), Damion Williams (Portmore) and Hugh Howell (Waterhouse) on arrival at the Norman Manley International Airport from Brazil yesterday. (Photo: Joseph Wellington)

The local-based Reggae Boyz returned from a three-week training stint in Brazil yesterday saying they have learnt the art of ball possession and mental toughness.

The 24 players, neatly attired in full black with their Jamaica Football Federation (JFF) logo, proudly displayed a trophy won on tour as they emerged from the tunnel at the Norman Manley International Airport.

Michael Ricketts, the head of delegation, along with assistant coach Theodore Whitmore and physical trainer, Junior Samuels, returned with the team.

JFF president Capt Horace Burrell and technical director Rene Simoes should arrive on March 21, while general secretary, Horace Reid, was scheduled to return home today.

Meanwhile, captain Rudolph Austin said the trip was a resounding success and he could see improvement in the team's performance.

Said Austin: "It was a successful trip that we learned a lot from... We learned the importance of keeping the ball, because when we lose the ball it's very hard to gain it back and we learn that you have to be at your best at all times," he added.

"Our philosophy... was not to lose the game before the game. Those are the things that we have learnt and they have helped a lot," Austin stated.

He added: "The togetherness and vibes were very good and it helped because at the start of the tour some of the players felt pressured and coach told us that pressure is good, so we must take it in a positive way, so the players just free (themselves) up and started expressing themselves..."

Austin, 21, a hard-tackling midfielder from Portmore United, is one of four players that impressed Brazilian clubs Atletico Paranaense and Coritiba, Simoes' former club.

"I'm happy because it would be a dream come true because you are in Brazil and a club is interested in you. Some of the clubs that we played are showing interest but negotiations are ongoing," said Austin.

Austin, who is awaiting a work permit after impressing at a trial at Stoke City last year, said whichever deal comes first he will accept it.

Incidentally, all four players here involved are from Portmore United. Austin apart, the others are young striker James Thomas, defender Adrian Reid and midfielder Ricardo Cousins.

Glenmuir High student, 19-year-old Thomas, said he gained a lot of experience.

Said Thomas: "The trip was a very good one... because of the experience, the Brazilian style of football and I learnt a lot from it.
    "I was confident... I just worked hard and it paid off. From this experience I'm a better player. I learn to move the ball quickly in attack and the transition from attack to defending," he noted.

Reid said he was now a tougher player mentally and contrary to what critics think about the training trip, it was very important.

"The trip wasn't a waste of time. It was a good experience for the local team. At first we weren't playing... how we wanted... because we never jelled, but in the last part it came together and we started playing like a team," said Reid.

"Not many players outside... get to play in Brazil and a player like me from the Caribbean might get an opportunity. If it comes through I will surely go and play," he added.

The Boyz played seven matches on tour, winning three, drawing three and losing one. They defeated Tigers 1-0, Parana Clube 3-2 and Atletico Paranaense 2-1; drew with Estacia University 2-2, Operario 1-1 and Coritiba 1-1, and lost 0-2 to Avai FC.
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Working...
    X