• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well Scaly we need your help!

Manchester United, Chelsea set sights on Arsenal
    published: Wednesday | March 19, 2008

Alex Ferguson - File

LONDON (AP):
    MANCHESTER UNITED and Chelsea can make Arsenal pay for their poor form in the Premier League.

With the Gunners on a run of four straight draws, defending champions United can move three points clear at the top of the standings by beating struggling Bolton today.

Chelsea also get the chance to draw level on points with the Gunners when they try to avenge their defeat in last month's League Cup final and beat London rivals Tottenham.

The two matches will bring all 20 Premier League clubs up to 30 matches with eight more to go and the next round of games at the weekend includes Manchester United-Liverpool and Chelsea-Arsenal.

Eyes on Liverpool
    "There are big games coming up and (Liverpool) is one of them, especially when you consider Chelsea are playing Arsenal on the same day," said United manager Alex Ferguson, whose team laboured to beat last-place Derby 1-0 on Saturday.

"But when you see what happened at Derby, not taking our chances, you realise you can't take anything for granted. Sure, there are big weekends ahead, but the other matches are just as important."

Arsenal are going strong in the Champions League, winning 2-0 at AC Milan to knock the defending champions out and reach the last eight. But their form in the league - draws with Birmingham City, Aston Villa, Wigan and Middlesbrough - is puzzling manager Arsene Wenger.

"There's no obvious reason for it," Wenger said after the Gunners needed a late equaliser for a 1-1 draw at home to Middlesbrough. "It is very frustrating because both Chelsea and Manchester United won 1-0 and they did not have the greatest of games either."

United also know what it's like to lose to teams they should beat easily. The Red Devils lost 1-0 at Bolton in November, but Gary Megson's side is now in a slump, getting knocked out of the UEFA Cup last week and now in the relegation zone after losing 1-0 to fellow strugglers Wigan.

Bolton no walkover
    Ferguson is still wary.
    "They've got Kevin Davies up front and he'll do everything he possibly can to unsettle us," Ferguson said.

"He's a physical lad and we have to deal with that, but I think Nemanja Vidic and Rio Ferdinand have the height and ability to do that. Of course, losing Jussi Jaaskelainen is definitely a big blow for Bolton because he's one of the best goalkeepers in the division, but they have experience in Ivan Campo and Kevin Nolan.

"If we perform well and take our chances, then we'll win the match. But it's important we respect our opponents. Some of our football recently has been terrific and there's good penetration in the team. It's encouraging that we're making so many chances. Perhaps the forwards just need to relax a little in front of goal. Then the goals will come."

Despite their stunning loss to League Championship strugglers Barnsley in the FA Cup 10 days ago, Chelsea are also in the Champions League quarter-finals and have moved to within three points of both Man United and Arsenal in the Premier League title race.

Playing very well
    "We're right in the mix and in a great position," said Chelsea captain and centreback John Terry, who scored the winner in Saturday's 1-0 victory at Sunderland. "A few months ago, we were 13 points behind, but we are quietly coming up on the rails and playing very well."

The Blues could have first-choice goalkeeper Petr Cech back in the line-up and manager Avram Grant has to decide whether to start Nicolas Anelka or Didier Drogba in attack at White Hart Lane.

Like United against Bolton, Chelsea aim to make up for a loss earlier in the season. Spurs beat the Blues 2-1 in the League Cup in February but Chelsea beat Tottenham 2-0 in the league a month earlier.
    Tottenham have beaten Chelsea only once in 35 league games going back to 1990.
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Sorry screw u guys

I hope we win every game, Have u ever helped up ?

This is not a good samaritan game.

Comment

Originally posted by Scaly View Post

heheheheh .... come now Scaly, they allowed your team fi score 5 pon dem.
      "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

awrite den...lose it fi spite wi!!!!

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

OK! - Win!
          ..but why di heat?
          "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Spurs = 4; Chelsea = 4
            Not a bad start...but you missed the chance to WIN!

Anyway ---- Thanks!
            Now cheer for us!

Comment

Yeah my apologies. BIG UP YUHSELF MR. SCALY!!!! Totenham was one of my favourite side back in the 80's. I think next year you guys will be a serious threat moreso than Livafool. During the summer, Ramos will spend some money and get the players he wants.
              Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

Originally posted by Jangle View Post
                Yeah my apologies. BIG UP YUHSELF MR. SCALY!!!! Totenham was one of my favourite side back in the 80's. I think next year you guys will be a serious threat moreso than Livafool. During the summer, Ramos will spend some money and get the players he wants.
                For Spurs to better next year that sieve-like defending has to be eliminated! ...and those who think it is the backline only that does not do a good job of defending are in a dream world! ...the TEAM defending needs corrective action!

Comment

Karl, trust me, Ramos a go tek care of that during the summer. A perfect example of TEAM defending is the Empire. Do you see how our frontline pressure the man on the ball and go back to tackle when they lose the ball?
                  Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

Originally posted by Jangle View Post
                    Karl, trust me, Ramos a go tek care of that during the summer. A perfect example of TEAM defending is the Empire. Do you see how our frontline pressure the man on the ball and go back to tackle when they lose the ball?
                    In yesterday's game a ball went in from the left wing to a Bolton attacker ... who would be one on one with the keeper, luckily a certain Tevez was there to deal with it.
                    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Working...
                    X