• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What a tour!

What a tour!
    Officials say Brazilian stint a huge success

Sean Williams
    Wednesday, March 19, 2008

HOLD A VIBES: The Reggae Boyz dance and chant following their 1-1 draw against Brazilian Serie A team, Coritiba FC, at the Estadio Municipal dos Pinhao last Sunday. (Photo: Sean Williams)

CURITIBA, Brazil - President of the Jamaica Football Federation (JFF) Captain Horace Burrell, and technical director Rene Simoes both agreed that Jamaica's Men's and Women's Senior team tour of Brazil was a resounding success.

Both men - who partnered in a Jamaican dream in the 1990s to qualify the Reggae Boyz to the FIFA World Cup Finals in France 1998 - were full of praise, particularly for a local-based Men's team that just concluded a three-week tour here.

"First of all, I want to commend Professor Rene Simoes for his vision. And in commending Simoes, I would also like to commend my executive for agreeing to support me in the bid to have this trip," Burrell said.

The JFF boss commended the "superb" arrangements that were made for the 24-man group, spearheaded by Simoes himself.

"The arrangements have been superb. I have had the opportunity of speaking to a number of our players and they have all expressed total satisfaction with the arrangements, the level of professionalism, the lessons being learnt, the confidence being gained playing alongside great Brazilian players, some of whom we will hear about before long," Burrell said on Saturday, a day before the team played their final practice game against Simoes' former club, Coritiba, which ended 1-1.

Burrell, reflecting on previous camps to the land of the "beautiful game", said this was the best ever in many respects.

"Based on all the events that have unfolded so far, I daresay this has been the most positive training camps that a Jamaican team would have been involved in. and not only did we have our Men's team, but also our Women's team," said the senior vice-president of the Caribbean Football Union (CFU) and executive member of CONCACAF.

While the Men were outstanding in their seven-match tour - winning three games, drawing three and losing one - Burrell reserved praise for the Women's group on their two-week stint where they won two games and lost two.

"In the case of the Women, we have a team of talented young ladies, but in order to parade their skills on the world stage, they have to be able to be in a position to beat the USA, Canada, Mexico and Costa Rica, which we have not been able to do.

"A trip like this to Brazil... will... give our young ladies a chance to turn the corner as far as that is concerned," noted Burrell.

He expressed great satisfaction with the way in which Brazilians have spoken of the local talent on display in wins over Tigers of Brazil (1-0), Parana Clube (3-2), Atletico Paranaense (2-1).

The home-based Boyz - looking to gain a place in Simoes' final squad for upcoming CONCACAF World Cup qualifying in June against either the Bahamas or British Virgin Islands - had drawn games against Estacio University (2-2), Operario (1-1) and Coritiba (1-1). Their only lost was against Avai FC (0-2).

"We have played a number of practice games. When I compare the results of when we came here for the first two camps (1995 and 1996), it was like cheese to chalk. To make our success here today even more satisfying, it is a group of local-based players who have come here and are the toast of the town, so much so that, some club officials already have made contact with me and are ready to proceed to the other phase, and that is to sign some of our players," said Burrell.

"This is unbelievable. Coming to Brazil where it is the Mecca of football, where there are hundreds of thousands of football players of high quality and to have them interested in our players is indeed a great thing that speaks volume for the local product," said Burrell.

So far four players - captain Rudolph Austin, Ricardo Cousins, Adrian Reid and James Thomas, all of Portmore United - have attracted interest from at least two Seria A Brazilian clubs, Atletico Paranaense and Coritiba.
    Simoes said there was nothing but positives coming out of the tour.

"What I got from this group is what I want from any group: That is to think Jamaican, be Jamaican, and keep the spirit of Jamaica. Before they did show the Jamaican flair, but they didn't show the Jamaican spirit, but they discovered it mid-way the tour, and I let them know that they should be proud to be Jamaicans. I believe in the Jamaican spirit," said the mustachioed Brazilian, who worked endlessly to improve the mental aspect of the men's senior group.

And the players responded in tremendous fashion.
    "This group of players have been so professional. their conduct on and off the field has been great. every hotel we stayed the managers keep saying how impressed they were with the way they behaved. When they go to changing room or hotel, you don't see our players littering the place. And many people are surprised, asking 'are these Jamaican players?'."

Apart from the bunch of players that went to France in 1998, Simoes has never been prouder of a Jamaican group.
    "I feel very proud because I always tell Brazilians that the Jamaicans can play and they can behave themselves, can help each other and have a strength within," he said.

Simoes noted that he has spotted a number of players who will certainly be a part of the Reggae Boyz final squad for upcoming World Cup qualifiers.

"I can guarantee you that some of these players will definitely be in our final World Cup qualifying squad. I have always believed that there were some good players in Jamaica, some people said the local players weren't good, I say no, because I know they are there, all they need is the help," said the Brazilian.

On the final leg of the trip, the team was hosted by the mayor of Sao Jose dos Pinhais, a municipality of Parana state, and there have been agreements in principle to have Jamaica's Under-15 and Under-17 teams visit in July of this year at no cost to the JFF. The women's team is also tentatively down to come to the city for a camp as well, but no timetable has yet been set.
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Now you see a nuh just American coaches have bad impression of Jamaican players?

Great to see the tide is changing and the players realise there is a lot to achieve.

This is great. Based on what them saying this US 120 thousand dollars spent for this tour could be worth millions.

Good looking out Burrell and Simoes.
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Originally posted by Karl View Post
      every hotel we stayed the managers keep saying how impressed they were with the way they behaved. When they go to changing room or hotel, you don't see our players littering the place. nd many people are surprised, asking 'are these Jamaican players?

Comment

Look ma, no litter!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
          Look ma, no litter!
          Oh by the way last night was the tipping point. I am now Antiguan

Comment

WHY?!!!

yuh swap black dog fi.....wait deh...i might run for office one day.....i mean to say....you gone straight from the frying pan into the fire"
            Last edited by Gamma; March 19, 2008, 10:47 AM.

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Well Based on what the Prof. is saying we are
              almost if not ready for Mexico.

Mexicooooooooo we want you

Comment

Originally posted by Gamma View Post
                yuh swap black dog fi.....
                Ohhh you're in trouble now mister this is a DARK day for you

Comment

you may as well confess from now cause Karl say nuh we all guilty
                  • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Working...
                  X