• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big up St.Georges United and Everton King

Digicel Foundation officially opens $8.5M Lynch Park

Everard Owen, Observer correspondent
    Saturday, March 15, 2008

Buff Bay, Portland - Lynch Park, the home of St George's Sports Club, was officially opened last Saturday by Captain Horace Burrell, president of the Jamaica Football Federation (JFF) and Digicel Foundation's executive director, General Robert Neish.

The cost for getting the facility ready was $8.5 million, $5.5m of which was donated by Digicel Foundation.

Captain Burrell, who was the guest speaker, said history was being created in the parish, and particularly in the town of Buff Bay.

"St George's has made a mark in the field of football. They have made Jamaicans develop a different level of respect for football in this parish," Captain Burrell said after observing a minute's silence for the passing of Courtney Brown, president of the St Elizabeth Football Association.

He added: "Watching them play at Harbour View I was amazed at the level of football in this parish and they have had a number of players called up for national duties and that is testimony to how well St George's has performed and has been developing as a football club. They have been doing well and have surprised a number of the big teams."

The JFF boss also had high marks for Digicel, currently "the biggest sponsor that the Caribbean Football Union has ever had", as the telecommunication company donated the lion's share of the project that enabled the promoted premiership club to host matches in the top flight.

General Neish, who heads the Digicel Foundation, lauded Everton King, president of St George's Sports Club, for a well presented plan and timely execution of the project.

It is a "dream come true" for King, who announced that they are already looking at expanding the facility to greater serve the needs of Jamaicans at the eastern end of the island.

"The facility will be available for schools that reached the Inter-Zone of the daCosta Cup. We are looking to improve the facility with more stands and lighting to host late games, as this facility is the only one in this eastern region with stands.

"Since the facility is in operation schools have been using the facility for athletic meets," King said, while imploring the players to do well and take care of the facility.

The opening was capped with a media team playing a St George's Invitational as well as a Digicel aggregation versus St Thomas Masters.
    St George's Invitational won the first game 1-0.
    Last edited by Karl; March 15, 2008, 10:37 AM.
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Excellent move. Good to see the progress of the club. They, along with the folks at sporting central, seem to have a clear vision for their club.

Comment

Proud a mi brethren King me a tell you. The funny thing he was never a football man, a community man and he cared about the youths was alway there. A professional and brethren who nuh ramp fi tell you bout you "clath" if you nah deal right even if you a him brethren.

Maybe like Burrell this more of what we need in Admin
      • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Working...
      X