• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Visa setback for Harbour View after 1-1 draw

Visa setback for Harbour View after 1-1 draw
    Howard Walker, Observer staff reporter
    walkerh@jamaicaobserver.com
    Friday, March 14, 2008

Harbour View's midfielder Kemeel Wolfe (left) battles DC United's Helbert Carriero DaSilva (Fred) during their CONCACAF Champions Cup first-leg quarter-final at Harbour View on Wednesday night. The game ended 1-1. (Photo: Garfield Robinson)
    JamaicaN club, Harbour View, left the island yesterday for their quarter-final return-leg CONCACAF Champions Cup without two players after holding DC United to a spirited 1-1 draw at the mini-stadium on Wednesday night.

Striker Rafiek Thomas and midfielder Kemeel Wolfe, who all played in the first leg, won't make the trip because they were refused US visas and coach Lenworth Hyde Snr was not a happy man.

"Two of our players - Kemeel Wolfe and Rafiek Thomas - did not get their visas so they won't be travelling with the team and that's a sour point for the team. I don't know why, but it is a setback for us," said Hyde.

That was a sore point for Harbour View, who turned in a solid performance against their more fancied opponents to earn a come-from-behind 1-1 draw and should enter the second leg more confident.

Devon McTavish gave the visitors the lead in the 45th minute after Argentinean playmaker, Marcello Gallardo's shot hit him and fortunately fell into his path and he made no mistake from close range.

But the Jamaicans lifted their game and deservedly got the equaliser in the 85th minute when substitute Lovell Palmer volleyed home from six metres, after a Robert Scarlett corner caused confusion in the box.

Hyde was happy with the result, although he wanted to keep a clean sheet.

Said Hyde: "We're very satisfied and the confidence showed the longer the game went. I think we played fairly good, although I didn't think we started out well. I must lift my hat off to the guys. it was a team effort and I know we can do much better next time.

"We were feeling out the opponents in the first 10-15 minutes, but we settled down and the longer the game... the more we came into our own and played some good football. We were passing it around and creating some chances.
    Overall it was a generally good game," noted Hyde.

Hyde was looking forward to the second leg with a lot of confidence after Harbour View's dominant second half performance.

DC's coach, Tom Soehn, said he was disappointed because he was looking for a win on the road, but his team showed signs of inactivity.

Said Soehn: "We were looking for a win so we're a little disappointed in the result. It was our first real game and we showed a lot of rust. We tried to close the gap as quickly as we could, but Harbour View were quicker... Obviously they're in the middle of their season and their pressure caused us problems."

Soehn said DC United have been on the road in their pre-season games, which concluded recently at the Texas Pro Festival, and the players are eager to go home and show what they can do.

"We just want to get back home. We are on the road for a while and it will be a different situation in our stadium," said Soehn.

Harbour View - Dwayne Miller, Clifton Waugh, Jermaine Taylor, Ronny Amaguano, Robert Scarlett, Richard Edwards (Keith Kelly 72nd), Donald Stewart, Kemeel Wolfe (Lovell Palmer 70th), Jermaine Hue, Fabian Taylor, Rafiek Thomas (Kavin Bryan 78th).

Subs not used: Michaud Barrett, Oneil Smith, Lance Laing, Marcelino Blackburn

Booked: J Taylor (23rd), Edwards (33rd)

DC United - Zach Wells, Gonzalo Peralta, Mark Burch, Gonzalo Martinez, Bryan Namoff, Clyde Simms, Devon McTavish, Marcello Gallardo, Helbert Carriero DaSilva, Jaime Moreno (Franco Niel 18th, Daniel Stratford 81st), Luciano Emilio.

Subs not used: Quavas Kirk, Domenic Mediate, Jose Carvallo, Rod Dyachenko, Santino Quaranta.

Booked: Burch (53rd), Gallardo (87th).

Referee: Phillip Jordon (T&T)
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Harbour View get a late lifeline

Harbour View get a late lifeline
    published: Friday | March 14, 2008

Harbour View's Rafiek Thomas struggles to keep the ball as he is sandwiched by DC United's Argentine playmaker Marcello Gallardo and defender Gonzalo Martinez in action from the quarter-final of the CONCACAF Champions Cup at the Harbour View Mini Stadium on Wednesday night. The game ended 1-1. - Ian Allen/Staff Photographer

Kwesi Mugisa, Staff Reporter

IT'S A dead heat between Caribbean club champions Harbour View and the United States' DC United heading into the decisive second leg of the CONCACAF Champions Cup at the RFK Stadium in Washington DC next Tuesday.

Despite what many will consider to be an uphill battle, coach of the Jamaica outfit, Lenworth Hyde, is confident that the flurry with which the team finished Wednesday night's game could just give them the momentum they need to get over the hump.

Down 1-0 at the break courtesy of a Devon McTavish goal on the stroke of half-time, the 'Stars of the East' rallied to net an 85th-minute equaliser which came from the boot of Lovel Palmer.

Work hard
    "I'm pretty confident. The way we finished the game makes me positive that we will be able to go up there and give a good account of ourselves," Hyde said.

"We didn't start well, but the players lifted their game in the second half and we will be going up there to try and acclimatise and work hard."
    Conditions in the second leg could be tough as in addition to being away from home and on a much bigger pitch, the temperature could go as low as -1 Celsius in the US capital next week.

Another cause of concern for Harbour View is that slippery midfielder Kemeel Wolfe and striker Rafiek Thomas, who featured in Wednesday's starting line-up, will not make the trip as they do not have U.S. visas.

On Wednesday night, DC United, despite dominating the first half, were a bit lucky to take the lead in the 45th minute as the clear chances had fallen to the home team in the early going.

DC went ahead when a powerful shot to goal by Argentinean Marcello Gallardo, rebounded off Luciano Emilio and fell into the path of McTavish, who was always favoured to beat Harbour View custodian Dwayne Miller four yards away from goal.

Before that attempt, Miller came up big when he dove full stretch to keep out a well-struck free kick by Gallardo taken from just outside the area.

Better round
    In a much better second half for Harbour View, front man Fabian Taylor could have pulled the team level in the 73rd minute but, sliding in, he just could not get enough of touch to put away a hard cross hit along the ground by Thomas.

Palmer, who came on in the 80th minute, had an almost immediate impact as, after seeing his 82nd-minute shot bounce just wide of goal, he was on hand to put away a Robert Scarlett corner which had bobbled around in front of goal.

Despite being disappointed to have conceded the goal, DC United coach Tom Soehn feels confident heading back to Washington.

"Usually we are a pretty tactical side. I don't think we showed that today.

Credit Harbour View - they were fitter than we were and their pressure caused us problems," Soehn said. "But we are excited to get back home. We have been on the road for a while, and it will be a different thing when we get to our stadium."

Harbour View 1
    Lovel Palmer 85th

DC United 1
    Devon McTavish 45th
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Just a quick glance and they have already started with the errors. Good ting we all saw it on tv, and better yet, I was there in LIVE and LIVING COLOUR.

sigh

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Is Scarlett or Hue take the corner?

Comment

Did they say Hue? Den is Scarlett.

sigh

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Can't understand how DC United press team can get this correct and we can't. Do our writers just listen to the radio or ask somebody who was at the event?

Comment

Somewhat starnge that Wolf can't get a Visa, given the fact that he went with Portmore United when the played in Houston.

Comment

The same Wolfe? Remember is 3 a dem.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Yes, I think it is the same one and I am almost sure he scored a goal. He started on the left and Morrison and Austin were in the middle. Woolery came on as a sub. I will look to see if I can find a match report to confirm that it is him.

Comment

All three went and played.

Woolry and Raffe came on as subs.

http://www.concacaf.com/competitions...report/751.pdf

Comment

Working...
                    X