X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ferguson furious after Cup exit

Ferguson furious after Cup exit

Ferguson demanded answers after referee Atkinson's performance

Manchester United boss Sir Alex Ferguson pointed an accusing finger at referee Martin Atkinson after the FA Cup quarter-final defeat by Portsmouth.

Ferguson felt United had a penalty turned down when Sylvain Distin blocked Cristiano Ronaldo, before Sulley Muntari's late winner from the spot.

He told MUTV: "It'
    s absolutely ridiculous. I cannot explain it.

"Managers get sacked because of things like that and he's going to referee a game next week."

United had substitute keeper Tomasz Kuszczak, on at half-time for injured Edwin van Der Sar, sent off for a foul on Milan Baros that led to Muntari's 78th minute spot-kick.

Ronaldo also revealed a lack of protection from officials had made him "scared" to play his natural game.

He said: "Sometimes I say that this is the best league in the world, but sometimes they don't protect the skilful players. "After what happened to the Arsenal player Eduardo da Silva, I am scared to do my skills.
    The treatment Ronaldo is getting, I'm worried about him.
    - Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson

"The referee against Portsmouth was unbelievable. In the first five minutes, there were three fouls and he took no action and then he failed to give a penalty. It's difficult to play like this.

"Sometimes they just protect the defenders and I am thinking about having to change my game because it is difficult to play like that.

"Diarra did not even try to play the ball when he tackled me and he wasn't even booked. It's a joke. So often, there were fouls and the referee did nothing."

Ferguson added: "Keith Hackett (general manager of the Professional Game Match Officials Board) has got a lot to answer for in this country. He's not doing his job properly.

"He should be assessed like everyone else is assessed. I'm assessed as a manager, the players are assessed, referees are assessed. Martin Atkinson will referee next week, no problem. But his performance today should not be accepted in our game.

"I agree with Sepp Blatter, the standards in our game as opposed to the Continent, the tolerance level, is behind Europe. I think it's a big problem."
    Ferguson said after his side's hopes of repeating their 1999 Treble were extinguished: "The game was decided by the decision not to give us a penalty. They had great confidence to hang on knowing the referee was on their side.

"Lassana Diarra had eight or nine fouls in the match. It's incredible. I've got to agree with Arsene Wenger. Someone is going to get a serious injury in our game. He's had one himself with Eduardo.
    "It's not a nice thing to talk about but, the treatment Ronaldo is getting, I'm worried about him.

"Keith Hackett is in a nice, comfortable position and does nothing really. I don't think he makes a contribution to the referees' performances in our country.

"That should be addressed. He's not doing his job properly. That guy will go and referee next week no problem. You see his favourites always get the games and that's disappointing."

Elated Portsmouth boss Harry Redknapp contemplated a Wembley appearance in the semi-final, saying: "It's fantastic. To come here was the worst draw of the lot. It was a great performance.

"We came here the other week and got slaughtered but we've come back and turned it around. We worked, we had a plan and we stuck with it.
    "You always have to ride your luck, they are a fantastic team. They are different class. We deserved our luck.

"It's a great day, great for the fans, I am delighted for them. "
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

FA Cup: Man Utd 0-1 Portsmouth

Man Utd 0-1 Portsmouth

By Phil McNulty

Sulley Muntari scores Portsmouth's winner from the spot

Harry Redknapp's FA Cup curse struck Manchester United again as Portsmouth won a dramatic quarter-final clash.

Sulley Muntari scored the winner from the spot with 12 minutes left after Milan Baros was upended by United's substitute keeper Tomasz Kuszczak.

Kuszczak, who replaced Edwin van der Sar at half-time, was sent off and Rio Ferdinand took over in goal.

United went close to scoring, Sylvain Distin denying Michael Carrick on the line and Patrice Evra hitting a post.

Interview: Portsmouth boss Harry Redknapp
    Interview: Man Utd assistant boss Carlos Queiroz

The surprise win took Portsmouth back to Wembley for the first time since 1939 for the semi-finals and ended United's hopes of repeating their 1999 treble triumph.

For Redknapp, who has previously knocked United out of the FA Cup with both Bournemouth and West Ham, it was another victory over Sir Alex Ferguson to savour.

Paul Scholes, Carlos Tevez and Owen Hargreaves all returned to United's starting line-up after the Champions League victory over Lyon - and they met with stubborn and well-organised Portsmouth resistance.

United were understandably furious after six minutes when Cristiano Ronaldo was clearly bundled over by Distin as he raced into the area, but referee Martin Atkinson ignored the appeals, to the clear disgust of Ferguson.

Pompey rarely threatened, but United keeper Van der Sar was in some discomfort as he scrambled to save a long-range shot from Niko Kranjcar.

United missed a glorious chance to break the deadlock after 18 minutes when Tevez and Wayne Rooney led a counter-attack, but the England striker was blocked by defender Sol Campbell.

The rebound fell for Tevez, but Glen Johnson made a superb recovery to block his goal-bound effort on the line.

James had been well-protected by his defence, but he needed to be sharp to drop to his right and save a low drive from Tevez.

It had been a very satisfactory first half for Portsmouth, but United had a problem in the interval when Van der Sar withdrew through injury and was replaced by Kuszczak.

Pompey almost came unstuck in a goalmouth scramble after 57 minutes, when Tevez was blocked by defenders on the line and Ronaldo's subsequent shot snaked just inches wide.

United were taking control, and Evra should have done better than cross behind Tevez after being sent clear into the area by Rooney.

Ferguson made a double change after 67 minutes, sending on Anderson and Carrick for Tevez and Hargreaves.

And Carrick was the central figure in a remarkable escape for Portsmouth three minutes later.

Ronaldo's brilliant back-heel played him into area and a goal looked certain as he rounded James, but Distin made a miraculous recovery to make the clearance.

United were turning up the heat, with James stretching to make a superb save from Evra, turning his shot on to the post.

After surviving a second-half siege, Portsmouth broke out to take the lead in remarkable circumstances.

Kranjcar broke down the right and played in substitute Baros, who was felled by Kuszczak.

The Pole was shown the red card by referee Atkinson despite the fact that Rooney and Anderson were patrolling the goal-line.

Ferdinand went in goal as replacement, but he stood no chance as Muntari drilled home home the penalty with the minimum of fuss.

BBC Sport Player Rater man of the match: Portsmouth's Glen Johnson 7.40 (on 90 minutes).
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Working...
    X