Tottenham 2 Chelsea 1
    Liverpool 2 Inter Milan 0
    Sportsmail's gift gallery
    West Ham's fancy dress Christmas party
    The best goal celebrations ever
    YANKS OUT: Liverpool fans show their fury in banner firm
    Mascot mayhem
    Viewing room: See the latest photos and video

Manchester United striker Wayne Rooney has come out in support of the rotation of players, the same system Liverpool manager Rafael Benitez has been criticised for using.

The Liverpool boss has been pilloried for most of the season for his rotation policy, but now former Everton striker Rooney has admitted that United boss Sir Alex Ferguson does exactly the same and it works.
    Read more...
    Benitez will be forgiven a wry smile at that, because he has long insisted in the face of fierce opposition that all top clubs rotate their players.
    Benitez said on the subject: "When I change players it is rotation, when other managers do it, they call it resting people."

And now Rooney has come out in support of rotation, as it is revealed that Fergie has not named the same side for successive matches since August.

Despite an injury to Ryan Giggs, Ferguson was able to name Paul Scholes, Owen Hargreaves and Carlos Tevez among the substitutes in midweek in the 2-1 aggregate victory over Lyon in the Champions League, with Cristiano Ronaldo's 30th goal of the season winning the second leg 1-0.
    Rooney said in an interview on UEFA.com: "Last season we had a lot of injuries and we had a few players who played a lot of games and they were tired.

"Now we have a big squad so hopefully the rotation policy will help us. I think we are a lot fresher.

"A lot of players have not played so many games this season. We brought players in, the squad is bigger and we have not really got any serious injuries at the moment."

After brushing aside Roma 7-1 in the Champions League last eight at Old Trafford last year, United ran out of steam against AC Milan in the semi-finals, a combination of fatigue and injuries taking their toll.

It is a situation Ferguson is clearly determined to avoid in a bid to keep his squad fresh.

While the defence is largely settled he rotates his midfield and attack, with summer arrivals Nani, Anderson and Tevez giving him plenty of options.

Ronaldo, now the Champions League's joint leading scorer with six goals, believes the side is "more mature" than last year and Ferguson's ability to keep a harmonious squad while ringing the changes backs that up.

For the record, Benitez is approaching 300 changes to his side, match by match, from the first day of the season. He is now on 298 and will almost certainly top that on Saturday against Newcastle
    Last edited by Karl; March 7, 2008, 12:21 PM.
    THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

heheheh .... suh Rooney supports the rotation .... so what? Fergie rotate ... look where Manu is. Rafa rotates ...now look at where Liverfool is?
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Originally posted by Lazie View Post
      heheheh .... suh Rooney supports the rotation .... so what? Fergie rotate ... look where Manu is. Rafa rotates ...now look at where Liverfool is?
      Look at Liverpool's results...and with 'should have won draws' they would be right up there in the mix!

Again - They are not as bad as their points total show! ...and I still pick them to win one against BoyU! They have the skill, strength and the players!
      "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Originally posted by Karl View Post
        Look at Liverpools results...and with 'should have won draws' they would be right up there in the mix!
        I'm not into the assumption thing Karl ... I'll leave that to you. I deal with facts.
        "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Is only FRAUD is saying Rooney backs RAFA!

Blessed

Comment

EPL - Never thought of checking to see how many times the YOUNG GUNNERS have played the same aggregation?

Zero?

The answer please? OJ? Mexxx? gamma? Lazie? ....
            "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Originally posted by Karl View Post
              EPL - Never thought of checking to see how many times the YOUNG GUNNERS have played the same aggregation?

Zero?

The answer please? OJ? Mexxx? gamma? Lazie? ....
              Stop yuh foolishness Karl! Which team plays the same team every game?

Comment

There is a big difference. A man will be on form and playing good in one game and then the next for Rafa he may not even be on the bench, event though he is not injured.

Fergie have the player on the bench and if needed he is plugged into the game but in most cases there is no mystery to fergie selection. He has a first team and rotate in other players. Let me ask how many times have you seen a fit Rooney, Tavez, Ronaldo not on the field togather and they are not injured?

If one is not on and is on the bench I gurantee you you'll them before the end of the game.
                • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
                  There is a big difference. A man will be on form and playing good in one game and then the next for Rafa he may not even be on the bench, event though he is not injured.

Fergie have the player on the bench and if needed he is plugged into the game but in most cases there is no mystery to fergie selection. He has a first team and rotate in other players. Let me ask how many times have you seen a fit Rooney, Tavez, Ronaldo not on the field togather and they are not injured?

If one is not on and is on the bench I gurantee you you'll them before the end of the game.
                  Not true! The only position Fergie don't mess with is the defense. He will rotate his midfielders and the strikers.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazie View Post
                    Stop yuh foolishness Karl! Which team plays the same team every game?

Comment

Lazie all his Best strikers are in the squad with the execption of injury. Not so with Liverpool. Fergie will often run his top strikers off the bench into games.

Once in a while he will give a border line midfielder a chance but as Liverpool is doing you don't see fergie going out to buy a million man who all want game.
                      • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
                        Lazie all his Best strikers are in the squad with the execption of injury. Not so with Liverpool. Fergie will often run his top strikers off the bench into games.

Once in a while he will give a border line midfielder a chance but as Liverpool is doing you don't see fergie going out to buy a million man who all want game.
                        Last week against Fulham, Rooney nor Ronaldo started. When Aston Villa got 4-1 ... Ronaldo was on the bench. There are games Rooney came off the bench ... there are games Tevez come off the bench.

The difference between Fergie and Rafa is that Rafa will make wholesale changes, thinking he has a good players throughout the team.

Comment

You nuh realise there is a difference. They are on THE BENCH unless they are injured and if the game get tough he will send them out.

Manu pretty much have an established 14 players who take part in most a the games, Liverpool don't have that and they will change format from one game to the next for no apparent reason. Player get rewarded based on how they play at Manu on a week in week out basis, I don't see such consistence at Liverpool.

Comment

nuh argue wid em sass, it's obvious that ManU has an established defence and strike force Rooney, tevez, and Ronoldo when fit... the central and the right side have been rotated...

After the injury crisis, Scholes, Saha, Carrick, Giggs, Park and Hargreaves were all injured; Anderson, Nani and Fletcher stepped up....when the rest came back, the three later remained as they had proven there worth.

Unlike Rafa who did just a switch man laka a gear stick
                            Karl commenting on Maschaeroni's sending off, "Getting sent off like that is anti-TEAM!
                            Terrible decision by the player!":busshead::Laugh&roll::Laugh&roll::eek::La ugh&roll:

Comment

them only a talk how it look pon paper without seeing the real thing.

Mek them show me pool injury list. Only man pon pool side that sure a them game is Toress, Gerrard and the goalie, oooh I figet key MAYBE.

Show me the sick players list from Liverpool first 11 that can match Arsenal or Manu.
                              Last edited by Assasin; March 7, 2008, 06:57 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X