Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This is Boxhills legacy.

Simoes fires warning to overseas-based pros

Developing a local league to express itself.

Sean Williams
    Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Former technical director of Jamaica's football, Brazilian Clovis de Oliviera (left), in discussion with present boss and fellow Brazilian, Rene Simoes (centre) prior to Saturday's match-up against Tigers of Brazil. At right is goalkeeper coach, another Brazilian, Chico Santos. (Photo: Sean Williams)

RIO DE JANEIRO, Brazil - Technical director of Jamaica's football, Brazilian Rene Simoes, has fired a warning to overseas-based Jamaica professionals not to take their status with the national set-up for granted.

Simoes, on his second stint in charge of the national football programme, said players based in foreign lands should be prepared to work hard to keep their places as the Reggae Boyz embark on their 2010 South Africa World Cup qualifying campaign.

"I have to spread the message to the foreign-based players, that if they are not willing to play their part to go to 2010 then you are out of the programme," the Brazilian said Sunday from the team's base in Caxias-Xerem, just about 25 miles outside the city of Rio de Janeiro.

Simoes' comments came in the wake of an impressive performance by a home-based team that defeated second division Tigers of Brazil of the Rio de Janeiro State Cup 1-0 on Saturday.

"I am very impressed with the local players. For example (Adrian) Reid, our central defender. The game he played yesterday (Saturday) was impressive and he reminds of a very slim central defender who played for the Brazilian national team in the 1960s. Reid is a good player," Simoes said.

He singled out praise for midfielder Rudolph Austin, striker Keammar Daley and right-back Oraine Simpson.

"Even though he is very short (Keammar) Daley, he had the better of very tall defender who couldn't take the ball from him. Also (Oraine) Simpson was good," said Simoes, who has the home-based group here for a three-week training camp.

In the game against the Tigers, Jamaica dominated the contest of the state's Division Two leaders and after a series of missed opportunities, Newton Sterling found the winner in the 90th minute from a well-worked goal.

The Brazilian paid tribute to the local leagues in Jamaica, especially the Cash Plus Premier League, for facilitating the emergence of these so-called home-based players.

"The local league in Jamaica is very special and corporate Jamaica should sponsor local leagues because if they do, they will be indirectly sponsoring the national programme. The money they put there (local leagues) is money they are putting in the national teams," Simoes said from the team base camp Sunday.

Simoes said he is determined to see as many of the local talent on his quest to find a group to possibly complement the foreign-based cadre of players as CONCACAF World Cup qualifiers for South Africa 2010 draws closer.

Jamaica will open their account in the second round against either The Bahamas or the British Virgin Islands on June 14.
    Last edited by Karl; March 4, 2008, 10:06 AM.
    THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

What is Boxhill's legacy?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

I hope Simoes is correct on that central defender...as I am not impressed with the top 3 contenders - i.e. Claude Davis, Ian Goodison (in my opinion based on the latest JA match - hopeless!) and the extremely TEAM orientated and very smart "Young Granny" Marshall - (Hey!...he is younger than his father the original "Granny" Marshall) - who I think will be killed for pace once we advance outside of CONCACAF.
      "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

"I have to spread the message to the foreign-based players, that if they are not willing to play their part to go to 2010 then you are out of the programme,.
        A so it fi go, no positions should be guaranteed. Saying a man fi start just cause he is an overseas professional will invoke complacency.
        Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

Di Prof ah keep ebry body pan dem toes, kah if a man slip him slide. Dis yah camp should doh wondahs fi di local balla dem.

Comment

But yuh boasy...

"Once we advance outside of CONCACAF"

One step at a time....

Comment

What about the expense ?

Comment

Boxhill legacy

The local league in Jamaica is very special and corporate Jamaica should sponsor local leagues because if they do, they will be indirectly sponsoring the national programme. The money they put there (local leagues) is money they are putting in the national teams,"
                THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

o please, yo think mi figet yo poetry's as to why Boxhill should remain... damn you had some poems for CB to go as well....damn X, ur a bigger comic than i thought, LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                  Karl commenting on Maschaeroni's sending off, "Getting sent off like that is anti-TEAM!
                  Terrible decision by the player!":busshead::Laugh&roll::Laugh&roll::eek::La ugh&roll:

Comment

Working...
                  X