• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reggae Girlz, Boyz in action again

Taken from www.jamaicaobserver.com

Reggae Girlz, Boyz in action again
    Sean Williams with the Reggae Boyz in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
    Monday, March 03, 2008

RIO DE JANEIRO, Brazil - Jamaica's men's and women's football teams will be in action today as their training camp in Brazil picks up pace.
    The local-based Reggae Boyz will face Estacio, a professional university team based in Caxias-Xerem at 3:00 pm (1:00 pm Jamaica time) in their second game since arriving in Brazil for the three-week training camp as they prepare for their CONCACAF World Cup qualifying campaign which starts in June against either The Bahamas or the British Virgin Islands.
    Jamaica's senior Reggae Girlz go through their paces at Tigers of Brazil grounds in Caxias-Xerem on Saturday. (Photo: Sean Williams) The senior Reggae Girlz, who are also in Brazil for a two-week camp, will play their first game of the tour when they tackle the Tigers of Brazil at 1:00 pm.
    Technical director of Jamaica's football, and the man who spearheaded Jamaica's unprecedented qualification to the World Cup Finals in France 1998, said he again expects the local-based group to deliver favourably and looked back at the performance in Saturday's first game of the tour as a yardstick worth taking seriously.
    "We showed maturity (in first match), but that's not enough. What we discussed is that don't lose the game before the game. I told them to read the game and talk. I am so happy now because they are now taking note of what we have been discussing and that shows that they are becoming more professional. I don't look for win or lose, I look for lessons and international experience," noted Simoes.
    As far as the women are concerned, the Brazilian noted that while the Girlz are superbly talented, they still require an indoctrination in the fundamentals of the sports.
    "We have started to work with them, but they don't have so much knowledge about movement, but we are working patiently with them. I can see something similar with the Brazilian girls when I took them over, they didn't know much about the game, but they have been impressive with skills on the field; but that is not all," Simoes warned.
    He said the crucial course of action at this time is to build the confidence level of the Girlz as they go into their Group A CONCACAF Olympic qualifying tournament, noting that the time of properly preparing them effectively is short.
    "I can see that they will have more confidence when they play the games against Mexico and US. but you never know as sometimes underdogs can be the real teams in some competitions," Simoes said.
    No starting 11 has been named for either team.
    In the meantime, Simoes has released a schedule of games for the men's 24-man team and the women's 19-member group.
    Men's: Leave tomorrow for Catarina to play Avia in a locally televised game against Avai at 1:00 pm on Wednesday (Brazil time); leave for Parana on Thursday then face Operario (televised) at 1:00 pm on Sunday; face Parana Club at 3:30 pm on next Tuesday; face Athletico Paranense next Thursday; tackle Coritiba (Simoes' former club) next Sunday.
    Women's: Face CEP at 3:00 pm on Thursday; face Fluminense U-16 boys; face SAAD of Sao Paulo.
    Some games times are still to be determined.

What a ting, di Prof. come back and JA is in
    Brasil learning football (akin to UTECH students being sent to MIT and CALTECH).

You just can't go higher than learning football in Brasil. I hope all these young people make good of this opportunity. It will be something to say you trained in Brasil under Brasilian coaches.

Prof. Simoes, let me say thank you very much.

Comment

Working...
    X