• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lindy Delapenha still a legend in Middlesbrough

Lindy Delapenha still a legend in Middlesbrough

Saturday, March 01, 2008

Dear Editor,
    I am a Middlesbrough football club supporter living in Middlesbrough. I read with absolute fascination your tremendous article on Lindy Delapenha. The link to your site was sent to me by a friend from "The Boro" as I am working on an oil rig in the North Sea at the moment. My late father used to ooze with pride whenever Lindy Delapenha's name was mentioned in conversations in pubs and bars of our hardworking steel town.

My father once told me a story that is folklore in "The Boro" which I'm sure Lindy can well remember. He took a penalty at our old ground (Ayresome park), he hit the ball so hard that it went through the back of the net! The goalkeeper, being quick-minded, grabbed the ball from the back of the goal and put it in the spot for a goal kick. Thus kidding the ref that it had missed! The ref sided with the keeper, and despite claims from Lindy and his teammates, gave a goal kick!

Lindy is still a legend in this area, and you have to imagine back in those old, dark times that it was very unusual to see a black person, let alone a black football player in the north of England, unless a team from London was playing at our ground. Our public embraced him like a son. He even married a local lass. If you pass this on to Mr Delepenha or tell him that he will never be forgotten in Middlesbrough, I would be very grateful.

God bless you, Lindy, you most certainly were Jamaica's greatest footballer. Indeed, "a man ahead of his time"!
    Peter Mc Dermott
    28 St David's Grove
    Ingleby Barwick
    Middlesbrough
    Cleveland
    TsS7 5HE
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

wow... very nice letter... lindy surely made his mark...
    'to get what we've never had, we MUST do what we've never done'

Comment

den suppose Lindy was...well...black!?!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Allrightythen!! If he's (as you intimated) not "black," then what is he?
        "The contribution of forumites and others who visit shouldn’t be discounted, and offending people shouldn’t be the first thing on our minds. Most of us are educated and can do better." Mi bredrin Sass Jan. 29,2011

Comment

Delapenha: First non-white to play English Division 1 football

Delapenha

This is the third in a series of the "20 greatest Jamaican athletes of the Century."

LINDY DELAPENHA (Football)

WHEN Lindy Delapenha started playing professional football in the English First Division over 50 years ago, he was the first non-white player to do so.

A pioneer in his time, Lindy represented Portsmouth as a striker and won a league championship medal in 1949.

Portsmouth won back to back Division I titles in 1948 and 1949. But Lindy only played four matches in the first year and all of 24 in his second year with the club.

In 1949, two years after a scout spotted him playing for the British Army in Egypt, Lindy was regarded as one of the most lethal strikers in English football. He played at both the inside right and outside right positions.

After a successful stint with Portsmouth, Lindy was transferred to Middlesborough for 1500 pounds in 1950. He played with distinction for the Division I club from 1950 to 1955, scoring a record 22 goals in 1952. That record still stands.

Middlesborough was relegated to the second division in the mid-50s and Lindy stayed there until 1958 before moving on to Mansfield Town to play Division III football. He was transferred for 6000 pounds.

Getting on in age at the beginning of the 60s, Lindy wrapped up his professional career in 1963 with non-league side Burton Albion, helping the club to win the Southern League Cup in 1963 by scoring the winning goal in the final.

After returning to Jamaica in early 1965, Lindy not only played Sugar Estate cricket, but represented Boys' Town at football, taking the club from Division III to Division I, before moving to Liguanea/Mona. Shortly after he became director of Sports at JBC (raidio and TV) and was instrumental in brimging English Division I football and horseracing, among other things, to television in the late 60s.

An old boy of Wolmers' and Munro where he represented the latter at football, cricket, track and field, hockey, boxing and gymnastics, Lindy went on to represent Jamaica in golf for many years in the Heorman Cup.

For his outstanding contribution to football, Lindy Delaphena was inducted to the Jamaica Sports Hall of Fame last year.
          "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Little piece on Lindy included - http://www.comeonboro.com/interviews/140010.php

------

Lindy told some terrible stories about what he went through in English football.

Comment

I would like to know too. I thought all these years he was Black. Dennis Hall now is another matter. . .
              "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

Little known fact - Lindy played professional cricket!

http://www.middlesbroughcc.co.uk/pag...l/glances.html

Comment

Ricardo who ??

Comment

Working...
                  X