• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finlayson looks to World Cup campaign

Finlayson looks to World Cup campaign
    PAUL BURROWES, Observer writer
    Saturday, March 01, 2008

FINLAYSON. I have improved and have a better understanding of the game

AS Jamaica step up preparations for the 'Back to Africa' 2010 World Cup campaign, Nicholy Finlayson will be one of the local-based players itching to prove his worth.

A central midfielder for National Premier League unit, Reno FC of Westmoreland, the 22-year-old has scored six goals so far to make his mark, particularly against Seba last December when he netted both goals in a 2-1 win.

A useful tackler, skilled penalty-taker and a cool-headed distributor, the Petersfield High past student is eager to more than double his goal tally. He has also matured as a player.

"I have improved and have a better understanding of the game. I know what I have to do to perform," said Finlayson, who was part of the Reggae Boyz's tour of Asia last year, and who departed the island earlier this week for a three-week camp in Brazil.

On that tour, Jamaica won only one of four friendlies, beating the weakest team, Malaysia (2-0), and losing to Indonesia (1-2), Vietnam (0-3) and Asian powerhouse Iran (1-8).
    Finlayson has fine-tuned his skills at Reno, the only team he has played for since leaving high school.

"I have good movement with the ball, a good touch and just getting the team organised at all times," he said.
    He, however, is keeping both feet on the ground.

"I just have to work hard in the Premier League and show my talent. I am looking to score a minimum 15 goals," he stated. Comfortable at Reno, Finlayson has no plans to play for other local club: "Reno have a good team spirit, and though I get invitations to other clubs I don't turn up," he said.
    He does, however, want to play abroad.

Jamaica's World Cup-qualifying campaign begins in June this year, 43 years after the inaugural match against Cuba at the National Stadium in Kingston, when Oscar Black and Patrick Blair scored Jamaica's goals in a 2-0 win.

Frank Brown and Black both picked up red cards seven minutes to the end in that match. Neville Glanville, Henry Largie, Delroy Scott, Ashley Welsh, Winthorpe Bell and Donald Clarke also played in that first match on January 16, 1965.
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."
Working...
X