X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mascherano seals permanent move

Mascherano seals permanent move

(AFP) Friday 29 February 2008

Liverpool on Friday secured the services of Javier Mascherano on a long-term basis after the Argentinian midfielder signed a four-year contract with the club.

The announcement brings to an end a protracted and controversial saga over the future of the 23-year-old, who joined Liverpool on loan in January 2007.

Mascherano previously played for West Ham but rights to the player were owned by the Media Sports Investments consortium. Liverpool did not disclose how much they paid to MSI to make Mascherano's loan deal permanent but the player had been valued at around £18 million.
    News that Liverpool have produced the funds necessary will come as a relief to manager Rafael Benitez, who had feared that other clubs would come in for a player regarded as one of the finest defensive midfielders in the world. Mascherano described the completion of the negotiations as the best moment of his career to date.

He said: "I am very, very happy and now I can concentrate just on playing football. I said all along that I wanted to stay at Liverpool and now that I have signed I can say this is the best and the biggest moment in my career so far.

"From the first day I arrived at Liverpool the feeling was good and I knew this was where I wanted to play my football. It's good news for me and my family that everything is sorted and I know where my future is going to be. I just want to do my best for the fans and the people of the club.
    "I am at a top side and I know I can win titles here. That's the big thing for me. I want to be at a club where we can win trophies and have success."

Benitez added: "We must be really pleased with the situation now. He has been a key player for us since he has been here and now we know he can be a key player in our future.

"From the start we knew Javier was a player with quality and a fantastic mentality. We knew the player when he was in the reserves at River Plate but was playing for the senior national team and we had been monitoring his career since then.

"He is young but he has great experience having played for his country. We knew he would be a good signing for us. It's clear that he is one of the best midfielders in the world but he can get better with us. We now have a lot of good options in the centre of midfield and that's good news for the club."

Chief Executive Rick Parry said the Mascherano signing was proof that Liverpool had not become paralysed by the uncertainty over the future ownership of the club, with American owners George Gillett and Tom Hicks reportedly considering selling out to Dubai Investment Capital.

"It demonstrates that life at the club goes on despite all of the speculation to the contrary and it also demonstrates in very large measure the ongoing commitment of the owners who once again have come good when funds have been needed."
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Xcuse can stop mek xcuses now!
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Good for Liverpool!
      "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Liverpool will be one of the favs to win the UEFA cup next season.
        Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

POOOL big again.

whe X deh?
          • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Next season ? what about this season ? write us off at your own peril.
            THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

Originally posted by X View Post
              Next season ? what about this season ? write us off at your own peril.
              Obviously you missed the message, unless a mistake him mek. Liverpool a play UEFA Cup this season?
              "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

back to reality....

Hicks ready to block Gillett sale
                Liverpool co-owner Tom Hicks
                Hicks is thought to have first refusal on Gillett's shares
                Tom Hicks says he is prepared to block any attempt by co-owner George Gillett to offload his stake in Liverpool.

Reports suggest Gillett may be ready to sell his shares in the club.

But Hicks told the Fort Worth Star-Telegram newspaper: "Not only am I not going to sell, my partner cannot sell without my approval.

"So I kind of have the ability to determine the outcome of what is going to happen, and I am right in the middle of that."

He added: "For a lot of reasons I can't discuss, I haven't been able to fix it yet. But I am preparing to be in a position to fix it."

606: DEBATE
                What is your view of Hicks's stance?

American pair Hicks and Gillett beat off competition from DIC to take over Liverpool in February 2007 and own 50% each.

But since then, they have become increasingly unpopular among Reds fans, drawing criticism for their treatment of manager Rafael Benitez and their financial management of the club.

Dubai International Capital has recently revived its interest in the club but to take control, it must buy all of one man's shares along with at least some of the other's.
                Karl commenting on Maschaeroni's sending off, "Getting sent off like that is anti-TEAM!
                Terrible decision by the player!":busshead::Laugh&roll::Laugh&roll::eek::La ugh&roll:

Comment

Working...
                X