• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Confident Man U aiming to overhaul front-runners Arsenal

Confident Man U aiming to overhaul front-runners Arsenal

Arsenal's young forward Theo Walcott - file

LONDON
    Manchester United are confident of overhauling Arsenal and defending their Premier League title after the Gunners' double setback last week.

Arsenal's lead was cut to three points with 11 rounds left in the season after they drew 2-2 with Birmingham City and Man United routed Newcastle 5-1.

The Gunners also lost striker Eduardo da Silva for the season after he broke his left leg.

"Everybody in the squad is determined to get to the top of the league as quickly as possible and I'm sure it will happen," Man United midfielder Park Ji-sung said. "The league is so close so it's possible, we'll end the season on the same points as Arsenal. In that case, games like the one against Newcastle ... can certainly help us (improve our goal difference)."

Arsenal lead with 64 points, followed by United with 61, Chelsea with 55, and Everton with 50. Liverpool and Aston Villa have 47 points.

Arsenal host Aston Villa and Manchester United goes to Fulham on Saturday.

United manager Sir Alex Ferguson is not taking 19th-place Fulham lightly, mainly because of their well-travelled manager Roy Hodgson, who is the third man to take charge of Fulham this season.

"Working in different climates with different cultures definitely broadens your education," Ferguson said.

Arsenal conceded an injury-time penalty against Birmingham, but the match was overshadowed by the severe injury to Eduardo.

The Croatian international broke his leg and sustained an open dislocation of his left ankle after a tackle by Birmingham defender Martin Taylor. He will be sidelined for about nine months.

Arsenal has only dropped four points in all competitions at Emirates Stadium this season and has yet to lose a league game there. Although the Gunners visit AC Milan in the Champions League second round on Tuesday after last week's 0-0 draw, Aston Villa manager Martin O'Neil isn't expecting them to let up.

"The truth is, I would love to say that they would take their eye off the ball, but it is simply not there," O'Neill said. "They have the squad to cope with it, despite the horrific injury to Eduardo."

Wary of Villa
    Arsenal striker Theo Walcott, who scored both goals against Birmingham, is wary of Villa forward Gabriel Agbonlahor. Both have played in England's U-21 side and both are known for their pace.

"With Gabby, you can overcook a pass and he'll still get there because his pace is just phenomenal - really, it's a joke," Walcott said. "He's a clever player and he's got a good finish on him, which helps."

Chelsea visits West Ham on Saturday, looking to regroup after losing 2-1 to Tottenham in the League Cup final last week.

Amid reports of a fallout between captain John Terry and assistant coach Henk ten Cate the day before the final, there's also speculation that owner Roman Abramovich is unhappy with manager Avram Grant.

British newspapers reported Thursday that the Blues have lined up FC Barcelona coach Frank Rijkaard to replace Grant next season. Grant became Chelsea manager in September when Jose Mourinho left.

As well as the Premier League, Chelsea is in contention for two more trophies. It hosts Olympiakos in the Champions League on Wednesday after a 0-0 draw in Greece and then plays Barnsley in the FA Cup quarter-finals on March 8.

"We just have to put what has happened behind us and make sure we move forward and everything from here goes well," Chelsea midfielder John Obi Mikel said.

Tottenham hopes winning its first trophy since 1999 will lead to stronger form in the league. Spurs are in 11th place and travel to Birmingham on Saturday.

Liverpool can only realistically aim for the Champions League. They travel to Inter Milan on March 11 with a 2-0 first-leg lead, but captain Steven Gerrard is disappointed with the team's league form.
    "In the position we find ourselves now, fourth is the least that's acceptable," Gerrard said. "But we have bigger ambitions than that."
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Being confident about doing some future thing is good for moral.

Actual making it happen is something else.

Hope the BoyU players and fanz can deal with disappointment?
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Hold on a minute. Did Arsenal just pick up a 4-0 from Man U or not? Karl, what wrong with you man? You drinking, smoking, or what? I think you meant morale not moral. Right?
      "Jah Jah see dem a come, but I & I a Conqueror!"

Comment

Originally posted by Westman View Post
        Hold on a minute. Did Arsenal just pick up a 4-0 from Man U or not? Karl, what wrong with you man? You drinking, smoking, or what? I think you meant morale not moral. Right?
        What's up, boss!
        Yuh figet seh it was a GUNNERS at half-throttle?
        Remember you have a deeper squad...and we needed to rest some of our players.

Our best available squad plays Champions League and EPL! That makes a difference in both of those leagues.

Just remember there is areason BoyU has lost more games in the EPL than has the YOUNG GUNNERS!
        Last edited by Karl; February 29, 2008, 04:51 PM.

Comment

I guess you will never concede a thing; whether it is PNP crimes or Arsenal being outdone. You are the official ostrich of the Treasure Coast.
          "Jah Jah see dem a come, but I & I a Conqueror!"

Comment

Actually, two.

An injured Eduardo and a hurtful Gallas will put things in place. Starting on Saturday versus Aston Villa.
            And Karl is right. There is a reason why the Young Gunners have lost only 1 game......away. And BoyU, Blues and Pool have lost more. ????????

Comment

Originally posted by Jamaica2099 View Post
              Actually, two.

An injured Eduardo and a hurtful Gallas will put things in place. Starting on Saturday versus Aston Villa.
              And Karl is right. There is a reason why the Young Gunners have lost only 1 game......away. And BoyU, Blues and Pool have lost more. ????????
              It really says alot when a side can lose 4 games compared to Arsenal's 1 and is only 3 points behind.
              "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Originally posted by Lazie View Post
                It really says alot when a side can lose 4 games compared to Arsenal's 1 and is only 3 points behind.
                Young GUNNERS drew too many games! ...and they were games we dominated, - Only exception I can remember is our draw with Chelsea. - and thus should have won easily.

Comment

Originally posted by Karl View Post
                  Young GUNNERS drew too many games! ...and they were games we dominated, - Only exception I can remember is our draw with Chelsea. - and thus should have won easily.

Unuh draw wid Chelsea this season? What about game you should have lost?
                  "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Working...
                  X