Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wanted - capable leaders out west

Wanted - capable leaders out west

While scouting the Jamaica Football Federation's (JFF) website for the fixtures for the third round of the 2007-08 Cash Plus National Premier League (NPL) Football Competition earlier this week, I happened to come across a document outlining the federation's principles and objectives, and it made interesting reading.

Two sections of the document caught my attention and piqued my interest:
    (1) To promote and develop the game of football in Jamaica in every way, and through the game of football, develop national pride, unity and culture.
    (2) To improve standards and enhance the image of the game of football by taking such steps as shall be deemed necessary or advisable for preventing infringements of the game, as laid down by FIFA and the International Football Association Board.

Now, in light of what I have seen happening here in western Jamaica, especially in the parishes, of Hanover and Westmoreland, it would appear that the JFF's mandate does not extend to this part of the island. In my opinion, the image of the game is taking a real battering in these two parishes, as it would appear that development has either been placed on the back burner or tossed out through the window completely.

The 2007-08 domestic football season is now rapidly approaching the home straight and despite having a high-profile sponsor in Sandals, the Hanover FA is yet to start its major domestic competition, while those of Trelawny and St James are now in full stride. Surely, development must be suffering in Hanover.

dismal situation

To make the situation even more dismal, I was recently in dialogue with a top Hanover football official and was shocked to learn that the parish did not have a youth competition. In fact, he admitted to me that, had it not been for the Social Development Commission and the Inter-Secondary School Sports Association, there would be no youth football in that parish.

While I am not an authority on Hanover's football, back in my playing days as a youngster at Village United in the mid-1970s, I clearly remember Hanover as a vibrant parish with a solid domestic programme. That programme produced quality players such as Phillip Hall, Lance Livingston and 'Shrimpy' Young. The parish was also represented at the NPL level by teams such as Rectory, Sandy Bay and Negus.

I have no doubt that Hanover has people with the capacity to lead their football, as one cannot sincerely question the knowledge, expertise and general competence of the likes of Samuels, Craig Oates, Emerson 'Diggy' Henry and Anthony 'Follies' Williams. I believe if Hanover's football is to regain respect, these gentlemen need to come forward either individually or collectively and take the proverbial bull by the horn.

In regard to the Westmoreland situation, I think the JFF needs to investigate the running of that parish, as it would appear that while the majority of affiliates want to see the back of incumbent president Everton Tomlinson, because of the solid base he has built up with coopted members with voting privileges, it seems it is almost impossible to unseat him.

In the area of youth football, Westmoreland is widely seen as a big joke. In fact, a few years back, the parish had an Under-12 competition, which initially had three teams. On the opening day of the competition, one of the teams pulled out and the unthinkable happened - the opening game became the final as well. Now, if that is development, somebody please tell me what is rubbish.

For a parish with a proud history in both western Jamaica and national football, producing numerous national players, a skilled administrator like Frank 'Bim' Williams, a coach of the class of a Wendell Downswell, and a top-flight club like Reno FC, what is happening in Westmoreland cannot be acceptable. The people of the parish need to rise up and demand more.

Personally, I strongly believe that if Hanover and Westmoreland are to return to a path of progress, they need to invest in new leaders with vision. Based on the JFF's accepted mandate, they should be guiding the process through a system of checks and balances. Unfortunately, friendship seems to have got into the way. However, since I have no such constraints, I will keep on burning this fire.

NB. Please feel free to send your feedback to adrianfrater@hotmail.com
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."
Working...
X