There we go again with the expensive travel arrangements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• There we go again with the expensive travel arrangements

This time we are also eliminating potential players at the expense of travelling to Brazil. These camps should be held locally and thus we could continue with the 1st set of players selected. Furthermore the travel expenses could be better put to use for high intensity and very nutritional training sessions. Some of this expenses could also use to fix some of our bad playing surfaces. It is full time we can bring the brazillian concept to jamaica without extra travelling and accomodating expenses. I guess the J.f.f is not broke as we were make to believe...Good luck

held locally for us to play against which teams? using what facility?

You don't realize how much it would cost to set up all the practices games in Jamaica.

Comment

You should try running for JFF presidency next time. Or better yet, apply for the TD Job. Something tell me you are Crenston Boxhill in disguise
      President of the FACCAC - Fans Againts Clueless Crenston and Cronies (cronies include Mosiah and Sicko)

Comment

If you disagree with his views, explain why. Saying he should run for JFF president is not the way. We all should run for president because we all have our views about everything football-related, except Jawge, who defers to Simoes 100%.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Well No Mercy is actually on to something here. I dont have a problem with the brazilian trip however it begs the question of how on one hand a remote site in st.Elizabeth is demonised as a rediculous idea while at the same time we are flying thousands of miles to Brazil at huge expense. Now before you all kill me for saying that I am not saying Braxzil is a bad idea but I am saying St. Bess was a good idea and should not have been discarded based on location. Now some here will say well we are going to play games in Brazil and I will say yes but its more than that. Its been away, bonding and all those other things. if this was about playing games we could take the womens team on a university spring tour in the U.S and they would get adequate or better preparation.

Comment

Originally posted by OJ View Post
            Well No Mercy is actually on to something here. I dont have a problem with the brazilian trip however it begs the question of how on one hand a remote site in st.Elizabeth is demonised as a rediculous idea while at the same time we are flying thousands of miles to Brazil at huge expense. Now before you all kill me for saying that I am not saying Braxzil is a bad idea but I am saying St. Bess was a good idea and should not have been discarded based on location. Now some here will say well we are going to play games in Brazil and I will say yes but its more than that. Its been away, bonding and all those other things. if this was about playing games we could take the womens team on a university spring tour in the U.S and they would get adequate or better preparation.
            Simoes probably has a lot more links and assistance in Brazil, so a spring tour in the US would probably be much more expensive than the trip to Brazil.

Comment

I understand that the mayor of some town (Curitiba?) has been able to secure free accommodation for the team, so that's a good thing. But for me, I need to see more that a PROGRAM is in place for anyone to follow.

People, I know you don't want to hear this, but Simoes, Burrell and Reid will not be around for ever. Time we start to build in some continuity. Going to Brazil for camps cannot be the answer. So, I am not against the camps, but...

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by No Mercy View Post
                This time we are also eliminating potential players at the expense of travelling to Brazil. These camps should be held locally and thus we could continue with the 1st set of players selected. Furthermore the travel expenses could be better put to use for high intensity and very nutritional training sessions. Some of this expenses could also use to fix some of our bad playing surfaces. It is full time we can bring the brazillian concept to jamaica without extra travelling and accomodating expenses. I guess the J.f.f is not broke as we were make to believe...Good luck
                Just looking at the facts -

1. Time! - As time constraints within which to have the TEAMs properly prepared. - It is NOW time thing!

2. First rate facilities (including but not limited to fields and opponents) are not in JA...but in Brazil.

3. St. Bess facility which I have visited - could not at the present time be used for the preparation of a good school team (...oh yes, that includes the Munro College field - my old school which at the same location when I was last in school - 1965 had fields that were no just so-so better but ONE MILLION TIMES better than the crap field I saw last year). The Academy has no space suitable for a field on its grounds! ...and there is no field there!
                "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Mo that is unfair as they just took over and most people on here are already talking about qualifying for 2010.

For me if we qualify then that is good but if we don't then a so it go. I want to see concrete in things in place by two years time.

Burrell and Reid might be around for ever, the first thing we should be thinking about is worthy replacements and not fall into the Boxhill trap again.
                  • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

What exactly is unfair? You lost me.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

sorry I read it a different tone as you said "Time we start to build in some continuity"

My main concern is not so much the institutions that is paramount but based on what I see see from the FAs without Burrell, Reid or some other dictator who has not been in local football politics in their knees we are DOOMED to be back in the 70s, no matter what Simoes achieve.
                      • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

What role did the Brazillian Embassy play or foriegn ministry play. For all I know the trip could be free, afterall them want to buy out we sugar industry amognst other things.

Comment

Boyz must bond quickly to succeed in Cup campaign

Boyz must bond quickly to succeed in Cup campaign

file - René Simoes

GORDON WILLIAMS, Contributor

Ricardo 'Bibi' Gardner has heard all the talk.
                          He's seen some hard evidence too: the larger pool of player talent; a proven coach and administration are back; sponsors are climbing on board; and the recent match against Costa Rica which showed the spellbinding vibes, that once rattled the most experienced opponents, have returned to 'The Office'.

But the captain of Jamaica's national football team, who will lead the Reggae Boyz on its World Cup qualifying campaign, is still hoping for what he believes is the most vital ingredient for the country to make a successful run to 2010 in South Africa. "The togetherness we have to get back," Gardner explained following Jamaica's 1-1 draw with Costa Rica earlier this month.

"That is what we had (when Jamaica qualified for World Cup 1998) and that is what got us through ... That's the most important thing."

With Jamaica's World Cup qualifying campaign due to start in a few months, Gardner believes there is real urgency to recapture that mood as well.

get it together
                          "We need to get it together now," he said.

In Jamaica's favour is the return of Brazilian technical director René Simoes and a Jamaica Football Federation (JFF) administration led by Captain Horace Burrell, a combo that helped guide Jamaica to World Cup '98. But, unlike the 'Road To France' campaign, which offered a significant role to home-based players starved for recognition, many of the country's best are now scattered across top leagues in Europe and North America.

The mixed blessing has made the bonding process much tougher.

"It's another approach," admitted Theodore 'Tappa' Whitmore, Gardner's World Cup teammate and a current national assistant coach who was in charge of the Boyz for two recent friendly internationals.
                          "This time we look on our team with one or two (local players). We started with not a lot of foreign-based players (in the '98 campaign).

When (Simoes) came here before all our players were local-based players. So that again, you can look at it as a plus and a minus for us as well.

"The minus again would be the time to work (with players). You know the FIFA ruling, you're allowed players three days before a game. So you have to take all these things into consideration to get the players gelled."

As members of the squad which qualified for France, Whitmore and Gardner, now armed with nearly a decade of professional football knowledge, have first-hand knowledge of what they are talking about.

Experience tells the longtime Bolton Wanderers player, a teenaged wonder of that successful run in '98, that the talent of the current Reggae Boyz roster, which included 14 overseas based professionals for the Costa Rica game with several more waiting for their chance, means Jamaica is loaded.

"There are different types of players and I think we have more experience now internationally, which we didn't have before," Gardner said. " ... The quality now is great."

Whether the team is cocked and ready to fire remains to be seen.

However, the captain is confident that the right mix will be found in time.

"I think we'll continue to improve and improve like we did in the previous campaign as well, in '98," Gardner said. " ... It's just the more we play together and the more we train together we'll continue to learn each other's movements. We'll definitely continue to improve on our way."

Players sense that the 'Back To Africa' campaign has already ignited overall passion and commitment.

"(The crowd) came out and showed their support," Tyrone Marshall said after scoring the late equaliser against Costa Rica in front of a near-packed 'Office', the Reggae Boyz' home at the National Stadium. " ... Whoever steps on the field and wears the (Jamaica) jersey (is) always going to give their best."

But despite arguably a superior talent pool to choose from for the 2002 and 2006 World Cup qualifiers, Jamaica misfired badly, failing to get to Asia and Germany. Some observers traced the disappointment to players, coaches and administrators focused more on individual reputations than team goals. Either way, the unity, so tangible on the 'Road To France', was lost along the way.

According to the captain, the re-injection of Simoes into the national setup should help restore that immediately.

"He (Simoes) believes in his way," Gardner explained. "So he continues to be strict and continues to be straightforward in what he is doing. He just continues to get the things across to the players as prompt as possible."

But even though Simoes brings his stamp of authority, Gardner, one of three surviving World Cup '98 veterans selected for the Costa Rica match - along with Ian 'Pepe' Goodison and Donovan Ricketts - is relying on his own maturity to help solidify the current team as well.

"I just try to enjoy the game as usual and try to lift my players," he said.
                          He welcomes the leadership role, but cautions that his personality may make his style appear a bit different.

happy to lead
                          "I'm just happy to be the captain really," he said. "I'm just happy to be out there leading my teammates, leading my country and playing my heart for each other; just trying to go out there and do 110 per cent. It's a pleasure."

But Gardner also expects a significant contribution from senior players like Ricketts and Goodison, who have both captained Jamaica in the past and have their own leadership styles.

"It's very important," Gardner said. "I mean we can look at younger players and we can get things across to them and you know they'll look up to us as well."

He has reason to believe the latest crop of Reggae Boyz are bound to listen.
                          "It's just respect really," Gardner said. "We respect each other. They respect me, I respect them. So we'll just continue to do it together."

He has seen some promising glimpses. Although disappointed because he felt that the Reggae Boyz were "capable of doing a lot better" against Costa Rica, the late comeback to earn a draw underlined the commitment of the team," said Gardner.

"(It showed) we will fight for each other to the end," he explained. "We didn't give up."

That resiliency is just the ingredient the captain is looking for. It's the one piece of the puzzle the Boyz desperately need.

Gordon Williams is a Jamaican journalist based in the United States.
                          "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Are you really saying that we will never be able to survive without Burrell and Reid? Is that a good thing?

I agree that the parish FA bosses leave a lot to be desired, so perhaps we must begin there. But that's exactly what I am saying. Our football administrators all have to raise the level, but our current administrators must be instrumental in raising that level for them!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

These things are not always linked, Assasin. Simoes has secured free accommodation and we are to play his former team. Not sure about the cost of travel or any other thing.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Working...
                              X