Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Call me if you need me, says Andy

GORDON WILLIAMS, Contributor

Former national captain Andy Williams is eager to end his retirement from inter-national football and rejoin the Reggae Boyz for the World Cup 2010 qualifying campaign.

Williams, 30, who last played for Jamaica in the 2005 CONCACAF Gold Cup, quit the national team immediately after that competition, expressing frustration with the then local football administration.

However, he said prior to the arrival of current technical director René Simoes, he informed the Jamaica Football Federation's president Captain Horace Burrell and general manager Horace Reid of his desire to wear the national colours again.

"(Returning) has been in the back of my mind for the past two, three years," Williams admitted yesterday from the Florida training camp of his Major League Soccer (MLS) team Real Salt Lake.

He said he has followed the team's progress, but that after watching the Reggae Boyz' most recent games on television, his appetite to return has grown significantly.

"By seeing the games, I realised I missed it to a point," he said. "Watching it is different than reading about it in the papers."

Williams, a skilful playmaking midfielder nicknamed 'Bomber' for his thunderous shots on goal, said based on feedback from the JFF bosses, they were happy with his decision to return. However, he said he has not been made any promises he would be recalled, the JFF insisting that decision rests with Simoes. Williams said he has not heard from the technical director, but he will accept whatever decision the Brazilian takes regarding his international future.

"I'm sure there will be a couple more friendlies," explained Williams, who represented Jamaica in the 1998 World Cup in France and has earned more than 80 senior caps for his country along with a dozen goals.

"If (Simoes) is happy with what he has, I'll be OK with that. But if he needs me, I'll be more than happy to represent the country."

That wasn't the case when he retired in 2005. Although Jamaica had a decent run in the Gold Cup in the United States and also won the Digicel Caribbean Cup during the last JFF administration, Williams, who was the captain at the Gold Cup, said the environment surrounding the national team was not healthy.

"We kept declining and the professionalism wasn't there," he said. "Everything was never in order. It wasn't a fun environment for the players."

As the team's leader, he felt the most pressure.

"I was the captain and the players kept coming to me and complaining," he added. "But (when I passed on the complaints) nothing was done. Nothing was getting taken care of at the time. It became frustrating."

He does not see any problems rejoining a programme currently run by the same team - led by Burrell and Simoes - that orchestrated the 'Road To France' success. And although he didn't "want to bash" the last JFF administration led by Crenston Boxhill, he knows the current one has the experience to get the job done.

Yet it was not always perfect between Simoes and Williams in the past. During the 1998 World Cup, Williams was unhappy with his limited playing time in France. He vented his frustration, but later admitted that his actions, which he blamed on youthful anxiety to do well, were rightly frowned on by Simoes. The fences were eventually mended and he has since matured. Williams has nothing but respect for the Brazilian and is ready to join him in another World Cup qualifying bid.

"If I can help, I will," he said.
    Sunday, August 28th, 2011. We will never forget !!

Creston Boxjuice.

"We kept declining and the professionalism wasn't there"

Comment

Kaka would retire if Boxjuice was head of the Brazilian FA.
      Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

Andy is very Classy Guy

This is very nice and classy of you Andy.

I wish you nothing but the best and you can wear J'can uniform anytime.

Comment

. . .and you can wear J'can uniform anytime.
          As Bricktop would say, he can wear the Jamaican shirt anytime if he buys one online.
          "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

Massive, from what I've seen Andy definitely has more to offer the Boyz before he finally calls it a day. At 30 y.o. he is still young and we could more than use his experience on the field... especially in midfield. We need a player to settle things and direct traffic and I believe that's where Andy comes in. I'm 100% for calling him back even if he only plays one half, though I believe he will be able to give way more with good conditioning.

Comment

Andy Williams will up his game--to claim the starting role for Jamaica.

The Jamaican approach to football needs a player with his skills. He is very good at holding the ball to allow plays to develop.

Need no reiterate that he has a nose for goals.
              The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

sensi, i am with you there... andy williams can make a positive contribution to the reggaeboyz... 100% for calling andy into the squad...
                'to get what we've never had, we MUST do what we've never done'

Comment

Frankly, I would have no problem with his recall, if he is still playing good ball. I would not want to see Simoes call him of past performance.
                  "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

Dat soun right yes

Comment

Who is better for the reggae boyzsc now Ryan Johnston or

Andy Williams....Nobody should be left out as long as they are actively playing at a competitive level..

Comment

Working...
                      X