Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jamaica's Shelton seeking right bounce in the Championship

http://www.jamaica-star.com/thestar/...s/sports1.html

When the curtain falls on the current English football season, it's unlikely Jamaica national player Luton Shelton's late January goal against Manchester City will be highlighted among the campaign's best.

But it surely is one of the most freakish for 2007/2008 ... possibly of all time.

What appeared a simple tap-in helped shock the English Premier League (EPL) powerhouse into defeat and propelled Shelton's lower-rated Championship club Sheffield United into the fifth round of the prestigious F.A. Cup knockout competition.

Yet, at least briefly, all that seemed overshadowed by the controversial - almost comical - circumstances surrounding the goal. While a defender swung and missed at the football as it snaked its way across the goalmouth, distracted by a deflection caused by one of several balloons thrown into the penalty area by City's own fans, Shelton made no such mistake. He calmly controlled the correct round object and slotted it home to give Sheffield United a stunning early lead.

More than a week later, recalling the details of the incident drew a chuckle from the 22-year-old.

"Actually, the ball crossed from one of our players, Lee Martin, hit the balloon first and the (opposing) player misjudged the ball and the next balloon and it ended up coming on my foot, so I just did what I had to do and just finished the goal," Shelton explained during his recent visit to Jamaica for the international friendly between the Reggae Boyz and Costa Rica.

Lucky break

Sheffield United's Luton Shelton (right) scores during their English FA Cup fourth round match against Manchester City at Bramall Lane Stadium, Sheffield, England, Sunday, January 27. - file

"I didn't even see the ball that well ... I picked up the cross, but I didn't know that the guy was gonna miss or misjudge the ball. Then the ball ended up on my foot."

It was a lucky break.

"There was a bit of fortune about it," then Sheffield United manager Bryan Robson admitted after the game.

But Shelton received a let-off from referee Alan Wiley as well. According to FIFA's Laws of the game, because the ball was touched by an "outside agent" - the balloon - while in play, the goal should not have been allowed.

It doesn't matter now. Shelton is hoping to ride his latest bit of blessing through the rest of the season, his second at Sheffield United since leaving Helsingborgs IF in Sweden just, over a year ago. Already, the forward has witnessed the rapid, roller coaster nature of professional football life up close. Almost everything has been a continuous change, including the styles of play, managers and living environment, since he last played for Harbour View in 2006. Shelton has been forced to catch on quickly.

"In Sweden, the game was a bit slower, a bit. It's not that bad. Good football is played there," he said. "But when you get to England, it's a bit fast, so you have to try and get up and do what you have to do. I'm a quick player, I could get involved, but the way that they play football is like playing off people's shoulder and I'm not used to it that much, yet, so I have to just try and adapt and when I adapt, I just do what I have to do."

That includes taking on additional responsibilities on the pitch, which were not demanded of him in the past. But he has embraced those as well.

"I've been learning a lot since I got there because I know I wasn't a very good defending person, like trying to defend and track back," said Shelton, who has scored four goals in 16 appearances for the club in all competitions this season. "I learned that sometimes ... you have to track back and make (the defensive effort) important for your team. I've learned that.

" ... I used to be just strictly an attacking player. Now I'm a bit defensive and attacking and I really like that."

Shelton also understands how unforgiving the professional game can be. Past accomplishments mean little in a business based on performance and immediate results. Manager Neil Warnock guided Sheffield United to the EPL a couple years ago. In the second half of the 2006/2007 season Sheffield United brought in Shelton from Helsingborgs IF for a fee of £1.85 million. But the club could not avoid demotion from the EPL and Warnock was soon gone. Also leaving before the current season was Shelton's national teammate Claude Davis, who was acquired by EPL club Derby County. Robson was booted last month, a casualty of Sheffield United's mediocre Championship form.

Still struggling

And, despite his heroics on January 27 in front of the home crowd at Bramall Lane, Shelton, who signed a three-and-a-half-year contract, is still struggling to nail down a regular starting spot in the team. He scored against Colchester the week after the City game, but missed the Costa Rica match because of injury. He was a late substitute in the Blades' 0-0 draw with Scunthorpe on February 9, but never left the bench the following weekend in the F.A. fifth-round match against Middlesbrough, the first under new manager Kevin Blackwell.

With mostly substitute appearances prior to the City game, Shelton admitted to wondering if he would be on his way out of Sheffield United before the January transfer window closed. Now it seems Shelton will have to prove himself all over again. But he is comfortable with his support system. Shelton said he gets along fine with his club mates and lives in close proximity to several Jamaican players in England. His focus is on approaching each challenge with a simple formula: He scores, he plays.

"Now is a new year and I tell myself I'm gonna work as hard as possible, make sure I stay in the team, the first eleven, playing all the time," Shelton said. " ... I'm actually trying to keep it at that, try to score a goal a game, take every 90 minutes with even one goal or see how many I can get after the one."

A lot is riding on his effort in England, including his role in the national team with World Cup qualifiers looming. But Shelton is not lacking confidence. Following a match for Jamaica in Atlanta, United States, a couple years ago, the youngster made an eyebrow-raising comment that club football was harder than the international game. At the time, Shelton was still playing for Harbour View. But with 14 goals from 24 games for Jamaica, he still believes he can excel on the biggest stage.

"I think, no matter what, every time I play, I've never had a problem playing against any defender," he explained. "If I turn up and say I want to run right throughout the game and do what I have to do, well, no one can stop me."

Shelton's technical abilities - including ball control and finishing - still need much work if he hopes to lead the Reggae Boyz' frontline, which includes English-based Marlon King and Ricardo Fuller. His speed gives him a definite edge.

"I don't think anyone in the (English Championship) league is as quick as me," Shelton said.

Add a good bounce or two - like he received on January 27 against City - and he should be just fine.

Gordon Williams is a Jamaican journalist based in the United States.
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Originally posted by Lazie View Post
    Following a match for Jamaica in Atlanta, United States, a couple years ago, the youngster made an eyebrow-raising comment that club football was harder than the international game.
    not to me!

Originally posted by Lazie View Post
    "I don't think anyone in the (English Championship) league is as quick as me," Shelton said.
    without a doubt, despite Karl's protestations.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
      not to me!

without a doubt, despite Karl's protestations.
      Just not ready to make say he is the fastest. Damn! He has not even played against the very fast EPL players...so how do you expect me to make that judgement?
      "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Originally posted by Karl View Post
        Just not ready to make say he is the fastest. Damn! He has not even played against the very fast EPL players...so how do you expect me to make that judgement?

Comment

Working...
        X