• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quotes of the week

Quotes of the week

By Chris Charles

Nice one, Sir Trev

"I know what it's going to be in the next round - us against Chelsea. I'm going down to Soho Square to check those balls."
    Sir Alex Ferguson on his fears the FA would make a balls-up of the Cup draw. He needn't have worried.

"The 2008 Vodacom Challenge will mark Manchester United's third visit to South Africa and will create a platform for many a rising star to elevate their level of play in order to strive to become a regular member of the Manchester United starting line-up for the new English Premiership season."
    Sir Alex Ferguson, according to the Press Association. Are you sure he said that?

"Can you imagine going to Fergie and telling him, 'By the way, you're not playing at home this week, you are playing in Japan'? I'd like to see it!"
    Wigan manager Steve Bruce on the Premier League's plans to take games around the world.

"It would be like the Harlem Globetrotters."
    Portsmouth boss Harry Redknapp thinks they're all basket cases.

"Is it April 1st?"
    Middlesbrough boss Gareth Southgate can't believe he's not in on the 'joke'.

"I was chasing after him...I wouldn't normally have been anywhere near that part of the pitch, so I guess I owe him a thank you."
    Barnsley hero Brian Howard dedicates his last-gasp winner against Liverpol to referee Martin Atkinson, who denied him a stonewall penalty seconds earlier.

Special delivery coming up

"We went for a walk before the game and a bird dumped right on my head. They say that can be a lucky omen - and it was!"
    Barnsley manager Simon Davey after seeing his side dump Liverpool out of the Cup.

"Everyone seems to think we will be the victims of an FA Cup upset - but then again I've been second favourite for the sack all season!"
    Gareth Southgate, still in the hat, still in a job.

"I don't do heights."
    Sir Ian Botham throws a wobbly after refusing to commentate on England's second one-dayer against New Zealand from a precarious 100ft high television studio.

"It's probably not going to be the most fun conversation to have with your brother."
    Sibling rivalry is alive and well in the Murray household as Andy plans to confront Jamie for criticising his decision to pull out of the Davis Cup.

"I'd done enough fighting in pubs so it was the natural thing for me to do."
    Clinton Woods on his progression from World's End to world champion. "When we arrived, we realised straight away that the team was carrying excess baggage."
    Spurs fitness coach Marcos Alvarez on the spare tyres that greeted him upon his arrival.
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."
Working...
X