X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mascherano Looking Forward To Argentine Invasion

18/02/2008 13:00
    Mascherano Looking Forward To Argentine Invasion

Liverpool midfielder Javier Mascherano has admitted he is relishing Tuesday’s Champions League encounter with Inter, especially as it gives him the chance to get one over on his Argentine compatriots from Milan.

The knock-out stage has pitted the Merseyside giants with Inter in a mouth-watering tie with the Italians looking to clinch their first European crown since 1965- the year they controversially knocked out Liverpool in the semi-final.

With Mascherano poised for a starting berth in midfield, he will come up against Julio Cruz, Hernan Crespo, Javier Zanetti and Nicolas Burdisso as the Reds look to make up for the huge disappointment of crashing out of the FA Cup to Barnsley at the weekend.

"For me this game is extra special because of the number of Argentine players in Inter” said Mascherano. “We know each other well and will do even more to try and reach the next round.

"I want to dream of going forward and looking to reach another Champions League final. If we can knock out Inter in this round we will have removed one of the big candidates to win the European title.

"But this year I think the Champions League is very open. There are many candidates for the title and I wouldn't be giving anything away if I included Manchester United, Barcelona, Real Madrid and Chelsea.

"But Liverpool are always very competitive, very strong, in the Champions League and we know we will be able to beat Inter and go through."
    Mathew Burt
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."
Working...
X