X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why should Benitez be expected to compete

Why should Benitez be expected to compete

Liverpool by raclezer 18 February 2008

with Man utd and Chelsea, the two teams that have dominated British football since Rafa arrived at Liverpool? There is absolutely no reason why he should be expected to compete with these sides, other than from Reds' fans and the Media's over-expectations, which are rooted in Liverpool's extraordinary European success under Rafa. Do not forget that since Rafa first arrived, Liverpool have been considerably more successful than Arsenal - they have finished above them for the last two seasons in the league (by 15 points in 2006), have won the Champions League and the FA cup, and been losing finalists in the Champions League and the Carling cup. This is an extraordinary overachievement for a manager who has been at Liverpool for 3 1/2 years.
    But the real question is, when Man Utd have 8 players who cost more than £12m, and Chelsea have 10, why should Liverpool, who have 2 (Torres, Babel)be expected to compete over a full season? Why?
    There is no reason, other than that Rafa's overachievement has raised the bar so high, people think we're now on a par with these teams. Well, over 38 games, we're clearly not. And people think Rafa should be sacked because of this? It's an absolute joke.

comment on this article | alert a moderator | send to a friend

Latest 10 comments

view all 198 comments

Read members' comments or add your own
    comment by The Benitez Gates
    posted 4 Minutes Ago
    I am convinced rotation is the sole reason we are where we are, it just doesn't work!! Look what happened at Chelsea when Ranieri 'The Tinkerman' was sacked, they hardly totally overhauled the whole team when Mourinho came in but they played far better becasue they were familiar with the other players.

It has to be said that none of the top clubs keep the same starting XI for every single match, but they only swap a couple of players, we excessively chop and change too many players. There is no contiunity in the team, lack of familiarity between the players, or reward for a good performance. How demoralising must it be for a player to have played a brilliant game, got the man of the match award, and then to only be sitting on the bench in the next game, at best!

We don't need to spend a great deal of money to improve our position in the future, just don't rotate to the point we do now. If Benitez had done everything the same in terms of tactics but played our best eleven for a sustained period (only changing players who were banned or injured) we would certainly be higher in the table and we just wouldn't be in the situation we find ourselves in now where all's everyone is talking about is 4th place!

I actually think Benitez is just too stubborn about rotation. It's his way, it's his policy and he's going to keep doing it until he is proven right, but we just know that's not going to happen.
    add comment | complain about this comment

comment by insidethecynic
    posted 4 Minutes Ago
    Benitez has been there for 3.5 years now. It's not a question of "Who's worth £12million or more", not at all, because that greatly discounts the frivolous spending of £5million here and there on players that fail.

Benitez had a decent side when he took over (they won the CL after all). Since then, he's spent Christ knows how much money (I think someone said £130m), and as far as silverware is concerned there hasn't been a great deal of improvement.

THAT's why he'll get the sack soon. The reason he's been given so much money on top of what was already a decent top-4 side was to break into the top 2 or challenge for the title, which he hasn't been able to do.

To be struggling for 4th place after spending that money on an already top-4 side, is frankly disgraceful.

It really is that cut and dry.

comment by 4thecaptain
    posted 4 Minutes Ago
    If Liverpool fans are happy with:

* Struggling to finish 4th.
    * Having decent domestic cup runs but falling short.
    * Dreaming about a CL win.

then

Rafa should stay.

Is that what they really want?

comment by Gaijinpete
    posted 2 Minutes Ago
    Rafa brought us the European cup for the first time in 21 years. Then took us to the final again two seasons later. And in the interim he provided us with what is widely regarded as one of the greatest FA cup finals in the history of the competition.
    So we're not gonna win the league this season. So we're having a shocking run of form. I for one am willing to stick it out.
    Sack him??? Don't be daft.

comment by Arab87
    posted 2 Minutes Ago
    Only as cut and dry as that inside your tiny mind insidethecynic!

comment by Jimmy-the-lips
    posted 1 Minute Ago
    comment by 4ever-reddy
    posted 7 Minutes Ago

Jimmy-the-lips: WENGER;
    1ST FULL SEASON...LEAGUE TITLE AND F.A CUP.

--------
    then he took 4 years to win anything....

Well Arsenal did "challange" for the league title in 2 of the following seasons before reclaiming it in 2002 with a vastly different squad. Its not like we did a Liverpool and disapeared in those years of rebuilding.

comment by Man Utd are the best in the Prem! Not Arsenal or Chelsea!
    posted Just Now
    Yes Liverpool's expectations are too high!

So are Man City's!

comment by whufc1985
    posted Just Now
    Lets not forget that for most of this season, Rafa has been without an assistant manager
    --------------------------------------------

So why has he not either got himself a new one from outside the club or promoted a coach from within the club?

The problem that rafa has imo is that he likes to rotate the team so much. He likes to make 4, 5, 6 or more changes in each game. His under use of crouch surprises me, especially when you consider that kuyt has scored 3 goals i think all season. He has also signed some very average players that should not even be anywhere near a club as good as urs, such as penant, your back up goalie charles (dont know his surname) his persistent use of harry kewell. Im sorry liverpool fans, he has spent a hell of a lot of money since he has been here and while has been on the whole a good manager for you, you are still no nearer from winning the league. I mean lets be honest, he got very lucky to win the champs league and the fa cup. (especially the fa cup, how we didnt beat you i will never know)

The problem is,who will you go for if rafa gets the sack.

comment by StamfordHeaven
    posted Just Now
    I cant believe you lot really want Jose after all the grief/insults/abuse you used to post about him.

Hypocrites.

comment by Slimzer0
    posted Just Now
    great article and def some valid points. Have to admit Liverpool have been unlucky in key areas and I watched the game on sat, which in all honesty could have easily ended up 6-2 to Liverpool, luck is a huge thing in football and Liverpool are not getting any.
    THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Yuttie, where is your list of players?

Comment

Alonso
      Josemi
      Garcia
      Sissoko
      Agger
      Nunez
      Pellegrino
      Gonzalez
      Kuyt
      Bellamy
      Crouch
      Aurelio
      Pennant
      Arbeloa
      Fowler
      Mascherano
      Reina
      Anderson
      Paletta
      Padelli
      Roque
      Peltier
      Nabil El Zhar
      Brouwer
      Hansen
      Flynn
      Insua
      Duran
      Huth
      Idrizaj
      Antwi
      Carsson
      Kromkamp
      Morientes
      Barragan
      Anderson
      Ajdarevic
      Zenden
      Lucas
      Veronin
      Simon
      Nemeth
      Mihailov
      San Jose
      Kacaniklic
      Pacheco
      Purie
      Alexandrov
      Torres
      Benayoun
      Babel
      Awang
      Amoo
      Bouzanis
      Pouriez
      Skrtel
      Karl commenting on Maschaeroni's sending off, "Getting sent off like that is anti-TEAM!
      Terrible decision by the player!":busshead::Laugh&roll::Laugh&roll::eek::La ugh&roll:

Comment

Will Liverpool ever win the title again?

The similarities with our situation during the 70s/80s in uncanny but with one big difference: United never believed that because they were once great, that they now had a divine right to be great again.

I started supporting United in about 1980, at the time; I was faintly aware that the club was glamorous, played attacking football and had once been successful. As I grew up in London, I was the only kid in my school that supported United (and had never been to Manchester before!). It was a painful experience as we always bought great players but kept losing. My school mates supported Le Arse, Spurs, West Ham and they all seemed to do better than us. I still remember that day that city battered us 5-0!!

Anyway, please confirm that I’m wrong, but all the way through that period, no United fans ever thought that our past ensured that we would always be successful in the future. I looked through football history and saw that sides like Huddersfield or Wolves had been successful, maybe United was like that. Through the entire reign of Big Fat Ron, I don’t think United really ever seriously challenged for the title, even the year when we won the 1st 10 matches, I never truly believed we would win. Liverpool was just too strong. And even during SAF's early years there was very little hope.

Before Liverpool can move forward, they really need to take a reality check. All this talk of being a top 4 club genuinely gives them deluded thoughts which then distort expectations. Let’s give an example. The odd cup win during Ron Atkinson's tenure gave the team and fans hope. Its felt like progress. Even with SAF and the famous Mark Robbins campaign of 1985; it was a critical step the club had to take to make progress. Fast forward to this new side of ours, even SAF was humble enough to know it had to win something to get moving and so the emphasis on the League cup in 2006.

Liverpool need to understand that they are not a elite club right now. they have to scrap for results, every game has to be like a cup final. They need to win trophies ... evidently it will not be the Premiership or the CL (2005 was a fluke). Yet, they act like they are bigger than even United! Rafa's selection policy at the weekend when he dropped the team’s best 4 player’s smacks of delusion and arrogance. Who the **************** does he think he is? The FA cup should have been Liverpool's number 1 priority.

Poetic justice has been done. Liverpool deserves all this humiliation. They have idea's way above their station; someone at the club needs to take a huge reality check and a big dose of humility. the quicker they accept that right now they belong to a set of clubs (Everton, Man City, Aston Villa, Liverpool, Blackburn), below the elite top 3, they can then begin to make progress.

They must qualify in 4th place. But to do so, they need to take their envious eyes off United, Le Arse & Chelskum and focus on their reality. No club has a divine right to succeed. It can only be down to hard work, belief, passion and after all of that, then genuine talent, skill and leadership.

Dropping players for the FA cup so they can play in Europe …. Rafa WAKE UP mate!
        Karl commenting on Maschaeroni's sending off, "Getting sent off like that is anti-TEAM!
        Terrible decision by the player!":busshead::Laugh&roll::Laugh&roll::eek::La ugh&roll:

Comment

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEZ8Y...0/index18.html

Comment

[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/Antares/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-2.jpg[/IMG][IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/Antares/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-3.jpg[/IMG]

Comment

[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/Antares/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-4.jpg[/IMG][IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/Antares/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-5.jpg[/IMG][IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/Antares/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-6.jpg[/IMG][IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/Antares/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-7.jpg[/IMG][IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/Antares/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-8.jpg[/IMG] http://img526.imageshack.us/img526/4896/funnyxx5.gif

Comment

Working...
              X