• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Liverpool 1-2 Barnsley

Liverpool 1-2 Barnsley

By Chris Bevan

Liverpool manager Rafa Benitez could not stop his side crashing out

Barnsley sent Liverpool crashing out of the FA Cup thanks to Brian Howard's dramatic injury-time winner at Anfield.
    Ryan Babel set up Dirk Kuyt to put the Reds ahead and only some super saves by Luke Steele kept Barnsley in the game.
    The Tykes levelled when Stephen Foster headed home Martin Devaney's cross and although Liverpool poured forward they could not find a way past Steele.
    Harry Kewell hit the bar for the home side before Howard's low shot into the bottom corner won it for Barnsley.
    Liverpool had already been held by Luton Town of League One in the Cup this season and also had to come from behind twice against non-league Havant & Waterlooville in the previous round.
    But the way Rafa Benitez's men started this game did not suggest they would suffer any sort of shock result against Simon Davey's side, who are in the bottom half of the Championship.
    The home side had all the early possession and Peter Crouch forced an early save out of Steele after Yossi Benayoun had teed him up in the area.
    Steele, only signed on an emergency loan from West Brom on Valentine's Day because Barnsley's other keepers were injured or ineligible, was fast becoming a thorn in Liverpool's side on his debut.
    606: DEBATE

Are you watching Liverpool?, are you watching Yorkshire?, are you watching England?, are you watching THE WORLD?

nardiello'sonionbag

He made two more stops in quick succession, saving acrobatically from Xabi Alonso and collecting Babel's low shot.
    The former Manchester United goalkeeper was finally beaten on 32 minutes when Babel pulled the ball back for Kuyt, who took a touch before burying his shot into the back of the net.
    Steele also did brilliantly to keep out a Crouch header on the stroke of half-time and Barnsley capitalised when they equalised out of nowhere after the interval.
    Devaney produced the cross of his life from out wide on the right and Foster rose highest to nod the ball past the flailing figure of Charles Itandje, who could only help it into the net.
    The Barnsley defence was soon back under pressure with Bobby Hassell and Foster clearing a Benayoun shot off the line before Howard's block kept out Crouch's follow-up.
    And Liverpool threw everything at the visitors, forcing Steele into another smart stop from Benayoun before he tipped a Lucas header on to the bar.
    There was drama at the other end too when Itandje somehow escaped without penalty after colliding with Kayode Odejayi as he chased down a long ball on the edge of the Liverpool penalty area.
    But Liverpool were still looking like the only winners and the visitors were defending desperately when Kewell saw his rasping shot come back off the bar late on.
    There was still time for one last Barnsley attack, however, and Howard made it count as he collected the ball on the edge of the area and fired into the bottom corner to clinch a famous victory.

BBC Sport Player Rater man of the match: Barnsley's Luke Steele 8.55 (on 90 minutes). Please note that you can still give the players marks out of 10 on BBC Sport's Player Rater after the match has finished. Player Rater
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

mi just talk to q him seh livapool really wasn't interested in the fa cup, the bpl or evewn carling cup...this season was strictly about cl....

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

yeah right! the fa cup is my favourite title since i was a boy. if liverpool isn't interested in it then maybe I should...rahtid is lunch arready?!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

them never seem interested inna the wining the league either.
        • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Times rough without another $20 mil striker. Maybe they can get a Barnsley striker for that amount.

Comment

any way..gunners not interseted in the fa cup either...

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

yuh nuh

Comment

LOL!!!!!!!!!!

yo a tell mi se because Nigerian who illegally get Togan citizenship de pan di bench mek unu nuh tek it serious?

Arsenal
                • 01 Lehmann
                • 31 Hoyte
                • 10 Gallas
                • 05 Toure
                • 30 Traore
                • 27 Eboue
                • 04 Fabregas
                • 19 Silva
                • 13 Hleb
                • 09 Eduardo
                • 26 Bendtner
                Substitutes
                • 21 Fabianski,
                • 06 Senderos,
                • 16 Flamini,
                • 22 Clichy,
                • 25 Adebayor
                Karl commenting on Maschaeroni's sending off, "Getting sent off like that is anti-TEAM!
                Terrible decision by the player!":busshead::Laugh&roll::Laugh&roll::eek::La ugh&roll:

Comment

Originally posted by Yuttie View Post
                  LOL!!!!!!!!!!
                  yo a tell mi se because Nigerian who illegally get Togan citizenship de pan di bench mek unu nuh tek it serious?
                  Togan?!? Is that a tribe from some distant Star Trek galaxy? Or do you mean to say Togolese?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

togolese!!!.....togolese.!!!..is why wi send yuh tuh college again?!!!

Comment

stop change di issue...hehehe...
                      Karl commenting on Maschaeroni's sending off, "Getting sent off like that is anti-TEAM!
                      Terrible decision by the player!":busshead::Laugh&roll::Laugh&roll::eek::La ugh&roll:

Comment

Looking forward to 2 sales in the summer , liverpool to DIC and crouch To Aston Villa.

how much chance im get assain ?
                        THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

The only think I can say about Liverpool's current season - FINISHED!
                          "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Reggae Boy sinks Liverpool

Since Ive just recovered from the shock defeat yesterday, there is a silver lining. It was one of our own Boyz that helped to sink Liverpool, Jamaica's Jamal Campbell-Ryce on Barnselys left wing.

As a Jamaica supporter first, and a Liverpool suppurter second, I found something to feel good about.

Well done JCR.

Comment

gwaan dream.

you have big problem money can't solve. you win the league since you sell Cisse, Bellamy, the spaniard, them yet? You have big problem that a 20 million pound striker can't solve. You going to have to compete with New Castle fi defense in the summer cause they like you will be looking for every available second tier defenders out there.

Comment

Working...
                              X