• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• World Cup vet Simpson offers help to local 'ballers

World Cup vet Simpson offers help to local 'ballers
    By Howard Walker Observer staff reporter walkerh@jamaicaobserver.com
    Saturday, February 16, 2008

Former Reggae Boy, Fitzroy Simpson, who was a key player during Jamaica's historic World Cup qualification in 1998, wants to take Jamaica to the pinnacle - this time, through his sports management company, Power Goldberg.
    Simpson, 38, is in the island with the directors of Power Goldberg, Jonathan Power and Mel Goldberg, to provide a window of opportunities for Jamaican sports personalities.
    Former British athlete Jamie Baulch is the other partner in the firm which allows clients to concentrate on their sporting performance with the knowledge that all other matters are being dealt with by a team of trusted experts.
    Simpson, who played for Jamaica between 1997-2002, is one of three UK football advisors for the company.
    "It's a window of opportunity. Without question we're the biggest sports management company in Europe. We represent high-end clients and we were instrumental in bringing Mr (Fabio) Capello to the England management job," Simpson told the Observer recently.
    "There is a window of opportunity which we are presenting. Mel Goldberg himself is here, along with Jonathan Power, to see what Jamaica is all about and... how we can help it.
    "I know the talent which is here. There are a lot of Ricardo Gardners and Ricardo Fullers still here. What these players didn't realised is that there is an organisation willing to represent them and manage them," said Simpson.
    He added: "It's a long-term process; not just getting them into clubs, but other things."
    Some of the 'other things' include career management, transfers, contract negotiations, commercial management and media endorsements, and legal services.
    Capello heads a list of sports personalities contracted to Power and Goldberg, which includes Turkish manager Fatih Terim; former Liverpool striker Craig Bellamy now at West Ham; Brazilian player Vagner Love of CSKA Moscow; Sheffield United player Lee Hendrie; Olympic diver Leon Taylor, and young Argentina defender Paulo Ferrari.
    "I want to provide a window of opportunity because we're serious players in the game," Simpson reiterated.
    "I watched Reno versus Seba. unquestionably there is talent, but I wanted Goldberg to see first-hand and they are more than impressed," he stated.
    As to the players who have caught his eye so far, Simpson remained tight-lipped. "That's strictly confidential," he said.
    Simpson, who currently plays for Eastleigh in the Conference South, which is one step below the Conference League, England's lowest division, said he was impressed with the Reggae Boyz against Costa Rica on Ash Wednesday inside 'The Office'.
    Said Simpson: "It was absolutely a positive start for us. It was refreshing to see the stadium full where I'm use to it being. It was fantastic. It was a great step for us."
    But for Jamaica to be successful in the World Cup bid, Simpson said it must be a united effort.
    "My public appeal is for everyone to think positive... let us all push in the right direction. I'm begging, just support Captain (Horace Burrell) and (Rene) Simoes; encourage the likes of Theodore Whitmore.
    "As long as the stadium remains as it was, the opposition will be terrified. We don't need any negativity. It starts in the media; let us stay positive," said Simpson.
    Simpson, who has played for Swindon Town, Manchester City, Bristol City, Portmouth, Hearts, Walsall, Telford United, Havant & Waterlooville, told the Observer he has no plans to retire soon.
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Good going Simmo, but when you playing one league below conference, you are already retired

"Simpson, who has played for Swindon Town, Manchester City, Bristol City, Portmouth, Hearts, Walsall, Telford United, Havant & Waterlooville, told the Observer he has no plans to retire soon."
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

I know. Hell, Scaly plays in some non-descript leagues right now but I am sure he ain't going around the place saying he has not considered retirement.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Working...
      X