Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ronaldo and Adebayor are set do battle once again

'Expect key battles all over the pitch'

Manchester United and Arsenal meet in the FA Cup for the fourth time in a decade on Saturday.

With the sides widely considered to be best in the Premier League and also slugging it out for the title, the tie at Old Trafford is set to be an almighty battle.

Here, former Arsenal left-back Nigel Winterburn looks ahead to the game.

Recent matches between the two have been terrific, both sides have a healthy respect for each other while maintaining their belief that they can win.

There is always passion in these games and I think there will be lots on Saturday - there could be a few goals, too. Both sides really like to attack and play exciting football.

It is very difficult to pick out specific key battles because they will be going on all over the pitch.

Of course, Cristiano Ronaldo and Emmanuel Adebayor - the Premier League's joint top scorers - have been tremendous, but both teams are littered with superb players.

And it could even be that a mistake, rather than a moment of brilliance, will decide the outcome.

LAST FIVE FA CUP MEETINGS
    11/03/99 Semi-final: Man Utd 0-0 Arsenal AET
    14/03/99 Semi-final replay: Arsenal 1-2 Man Utd AET
    15/02/03 Fifth round: Man Utd 0-2 Arsenal
    03/03/04 Semi-final: Arsenal 0-1 Man Utd
    21/5/05 Final: Arsenal 0-0 Man Utd AET Arsenal won 5-4 on penalties

Home advantage could help United, as 70,000 fans can give you a big lift, but I really think this game is too close to call.

I feel that both sets of players are quite evenly matched and it is the unpredictability of this encounter that makes it so engrossing.

Also, it will be fascinating to see the team selections.

When the league was so tight, I would have thought both sides would have played near full-strength teams.

But now Arsenal have opened up a five-point gap on United, manager Arsene Wenger may choose to rest one or two of his players.

However, beating one of your top rivals in any game can give you a psychological edge over them for the next time.

And, of course, Manchester United will host Arsenal again in the Premier League in April.

So there is no chance Arsenal will field an under-strength team like they did in the Carling Cup, while United need to re-establish their rhythm and form after a disappointing couple of weeks and I expect them to put out their top team.

It is an intriguing conundrum and it will be fascinating to see who actually lines up on the day.

I have a feeling this could be a really exciting game

Nigel Winterburn

The other factor is that both sides have huge games coming up in the Champions league only a few days after their FA Cup match.

It is really difficult to say that whoever wins on Saturday, if there is a victor, will inflict significant damage on their rivals' wider hopes - as well as knocking them out of the FA Cup.

But I would say that after the last couple of weeks that the pressure is more on Manchester United than it is on Arsenal, although that can change very, very quickly.

You can be sure, though, that neither side will be playing for a draw - their sole focus will be to win as I'm sure neither club wants a replay. It would be an additional fixture they really could do without.

Sometimes, people misinterpret a habit of scoring late in matches as luck but it is these two sides' desire, drive and determination to win, right until the very end of a match, that is responsible for those goals.

Don't expect caution to be thrown to the wind, in a win-or-bust move. But I have a feeling this could be a really exciting game and I am really looking forward to it.
    Sunday, August 28th, 2011. We will never forget !!
Working...
X