Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nii Lamptey - Boy wonder's lost years

Boy wonder's lost years

He was the new Pelé who, after being horribly abused by both his parents, fled from Ghana to Europe to make a spectacular start to his career. But then personal tragedy and football's unscrupulous money men ruined his career. Only now, at the age of 33 and with the junior school he founded in his homeland offering a message of hope, does he finally feel free to tell his remarkable story

Sunday February 3, 2008
    The Observer

Even Pelé himself said it. Nii Odartey Lamptey, player of the tournament ahead of Alessandro Del Piero and other future stars in the Under-17 World Cup of 1991, would be 'the next Pele'. The world's most famous footballer had first seen him play in the Under-16 finals in 1989 and after two sightings gave his verdict: 'Lamptey is my natural successor.'

(continue)
    "Donovan was excellent. We knew he was a good player, but he really didn't do anything wrong in the whole game and made it difficult for us."
    - Xavi

"The best gift you can give your child is education."
    Brilliant line from a man who from his own admission lacked the formal education that is so often taken for granted. His education comes from the experiences that life has provided him. But he is wise enough to realise that without a formal education those learning experiences that living provides can be a lot more difficult without something as basics as reading and writing.

Also, it was interesting to read his views on Ron Atkinson. His opinion of Atkinson supports the cliche, "one man's hero is another man's villain". Atkinson is now basically in the football world's wilderness because of his insensitive remarks about former French and Chelsea star Marcel Desailly.

Comment

Originally posted by Brush View Post
      Also, it was interesting to read his views on Ron Atkinson. His opinion of Atkinson supports the cliche, "one man's hero is another man's villain". Atkinson is now basically in the football world's wilderness because of his insensitive remarks about former French and Chelsea star Marcel Desailly.
      Good point.

I remember being disgusted by Atkinson's comments when that story came out.

But ultimately man's deeds matter more than his words.
      "Donovan was excellent. We knew he was a good player, but he really didn't do anything wrong in the whole game and made it difficult for us."
      - Xavi

Comment

one question though...what has prevented him in all these years from learning to read and write?

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Last time I saw him was against Brasil
          in 93. Didn't know he had so much problems, I hope he can put some closure on them all.

Comment

Working...
          X