Great article, lets find a better Tappa or Boyd, BENZEMA not

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great article, lets find a better Tappa or Boyd, BENZEMA not

Zidane, Messi not Maradona. I have been at fault proclaiming France has their new saviour but didnt compare him to Zidanne on the football field but the impact that he will have on France.

Let Karim be Karim

February 13, 2008 – 7:04 pm

These are the words of Sam, the character played by Rob Lowe in the hit US show, the West Wing. The episode looks at decisions made by the fictional President Bartlett, and whilst being closely scrutinized in his every decision, Sam defends the President in the face of criticism, and instead argues that the President is his own man, and should be allowed to be judged on this and only this, and not, on comparisons to former Presidents.
    I recently read an article in a top European football magazine that claimed Karim Benzema, the young Lyons forward, is the ‘next Zidane’. Throughout the years, and those who follow European and world football closely will no doubt know, comparisons between footballers of the present with those of the past should be taken with a pinch of salt.
    There is no doubt, based on the last three years, that Benzema is a potentially world class player. Just before Christmas last year, he had scored 11 goals in 11 games. His characteristics are reminiscent of Henry, Trézéguet and Anelka in one. The pace and class of Henry, the strength in the air of Trézéguet, and the finishing and off the ball movement of Anelka. These are Benzema’s current characteristics. So why is he touted as the next Zinedine Zidane?

Taking a young player and then comparing them to someone as great as Zidane is often a troublesome task. Having just turned twenty, Benzema hasn’t yet played five years at senior level, but we are already faced with numerous comparisons, most frequently with Zizou. Comparing is troublesome in two regards: firstly, one tends to over-hype the player; secondly, in over-hyping the player, you take away the actual qualities for which he should be being praised.
    Allow me to demonstrate. Take Diego Maradona. The great, fantastic, twinkle-toed Argentinean has had his name associated with so many players in the last 10 years that it is as if ‘El Diego’ has been reincarnated ten times. After USA ‘94, Maradona’s career ended, with his last match against Greece in a tournament that had made him so famous after his two goals against England in Mexico eight years prior. The genius of Maradona in that match lingers as a beautiful memory, and one can still recall Peter Reid and Terry Butcher having rings run around them by the devious little Argentine. But after USA ‘94, Argentine football went through a crisis. Who would replace the left-footed master? How would Argentine football deal with the loss of the man that would juggle oranges and apples as if it were a ball during keepy-uppy?
    A host of names have been groomed as the ‘new Maradona’. In 1996, a young, stocky but slight playmaker called Ariel Ortega came onto the scene. However, Ortega just fizzled out. Next came three young pretenders; Pablo Aimar, Javier Saviola and Juan Roman Riquelme. All three moved to Spain, and of the three, only Aimar had any success, when at Valencia, winning two La Liga titles. Riquelme and Saviola had terrible experiences at Barcelona. Saviola was loaned out to numerous clubs during his time, and was only this season permanently dispersed with to Real Madrid, a club where he has barely played. Riquelme, despite his intermittent brilliance in the 2006 World Cup and the preceding season in Villarreal’s run to the Champions League semi-finals, had troubles too. In the last two years, Riquelme has demonstrated his breath-taking ability but the difference is that Maradona showed his capabilities consistently throughout his career while Riquelme bloomed late and now finds himself back in Argentina.
    Despite Aimar being so close to fulfilling the ‘new Maradona’ iconic status, his career did, like Ortega, Saviola and Riquelme’s, fizzle out. This is where the problem lies. Players cannot be compared or asked to fill a void left by ‘greatness’, because the greatness itself is so unique.
    More recently though, the closest comparison to Maradona is the young protégé Lionel Messi. In 2004, at a Fifa gala, Maradona himself earmarked a certain Carlos Tévez as his heir. Then only a year later we have Messi as the prodigal son. Messi has so many similar characteristics to ‘El Diego’; short, left-footed, close control, crafty off the ball play, dribbler in tight spaces. He even tried his own ‘hand of god’ and eerily scored an almost identical goal to Maradona’s sensational second against England in Mexico.
    Messi and Maradona, these two similar footballers in nearly everything they do must, however, be separated. If we continue to comparing the two, there is a risk that neither of these footballers is being appropriately respected. Both players should in fact be remembered for their individual characteristics and achievements of their own era. Of course, comparisons will continue, and at 20, Messi already has someone compared to him in the form of Argentine Sergio Agüero, who plays for Athletic Madrid. It will surely never stop.
    So what should the world make of the new Zidane? In comparing Benzema to Zizou, not only are the specific characteristics of what Benzema is about being overlooked, but the Lyons man is being put forward as a solution to the fact France have lost one of their and football’s greatest ever players.
    Not one player will have the same guile, balance and delicacy of Zidane. The Frenchman was unique because his characteristics were so different to any other footballer. Observing Zidane during a match was like watching ballet on the football pitch; his soft touch on the ball, the manner in which he danced through challenges using excellent skill and exquisite technique to glide across the green grass. Even the simplest things were made beautiful by Zidane, and time just never seemed a problem. Zidane was the master at creating time in a game that flows at top speed.
    Benzema’s 16 goals in 24 games should be celebrated as his personal achievement. Any comparisons between Zidane and Benzema seem extremely far-fetched. Benzema is tall, pacy, skilful and turning into a natural goalscorer. Zidane on the other hand was elegant, exquisitely gifted in technical ability, a playmaker, and above all, not a great goalscorer per se, but instead, a scorer of great goals.
    This is not to say that Benzema will not be a special player who could perhaps even emulate the French hero of Zidane. He is already a prodigious talent and has demonstrated his immense ability for Lyons this campaign. Consequently, there is great interest from the continent’s top clubs who have been observing this remarkable talent.
    There is interest from Arsène Wenger and Sir Alex Ferguson and along with Arsenal and Manchester United, Benzema is being courted by Real Madrid and Barcelona who have both made enquiries.
    Instead of facing the same old problem that we have with the title of the ‘new Maradona’ (regardless if it is Maradona who always names a new protégé every year), football pundits and football fans alike need to realise that the sport is changing. Goalkeepers now act as sweepers, defenders are more technically astute, midfielders are more versatile, and strikers are a dying breed. Instead, as Ian Rush has pointed out, the old school centre-forward is replaced by the three-pronged roaming attacker, who can play on the wing, through the middle, and rotate between midfielders. Manchester United and Roma demonstrate this most aptly.
    Football is changing, both on the pitch and off it. At least on the pitch, it’s in a very progressive way, and with every superstar who comes onto the horizon, they are more likely to have something new in their game because of the way football has developed. No one can replace Zidane, Cryuff and Maradona. No one is trying to. They are greats of their time, masters of their abilities, and teachers of the future - but comparisons with the youth of today are unfair.
    We are blessed. Footballers are naturally evolving whilst the games evolves itself. This being the case, let’s enjoy Karim Benzema and the class he espouses. Let’s let Karim be Karim, and no one else.
    Can Benzema cut it at Man Utd or is his flair best suited to Arsenal?
    Share your views by leaving a comment below.
    var sb_url_to_rate = "http://www.footballingworld.com/2008/02/13/let-karim-be-karim/";var sb_rated_title = "Let Karim be Karim";try { var sb_rated_creation = new Date(Date.parse('Wed, 13 Feb 2008 19:04:10 +0000')); } catch (e) {}var sb_recommendations_url_prefix = "http://www.footballingworld.com";7 Comments so far (Add 1 more)

1. <LI class="comment c0 c-y2008 c-m02 c-d14 c-h16 alt" id=comment-1496>
      Fantastic little article this! I don’t like it when players are compared myself, they are all individuals. I don’t see Ronaldo as better or the next George Best, I see him as future best player in the world and that alone. Some players do play similarly but thats bound to happen, its football, there are only so many different techniques to grace.
      1. Jim on February 14th, 2008 at 3:24 pm
      <LI class="comment c1 c-y2008 c-m02 c-d14 c-h15" id=comment-1490>
      The will be only one and one zenedine zidane.that guy was great. his skill on the ball…but who knows what would have been him if he remained in his (Algeria).maybe even africa would not have had the opportunity to know him
      2. Dennis Ong'ayo on February 14th, 2008 at 2:14 pm
      <LI class="comment c2 c-y2008 c-m02 c-d14 c-h02 alt" id=comment-1487>
      Thank you all for your kinds words.
      Redondo was indeed class, although i think his similarities to Maradona were often a bit far fetched because he was a holding midfielder, as you point out, and Maradona - well he was more attacking. remember the set up for Rauls goal at Old Trafford when he nutmegged Henning Berg?
      i just found it again on youtube:
      www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhJc0M-lIis
      i just had a discussion with my friend about how football is changing and there is so much quality out there that is being unearthed. But it all seems to be in attacking genres and this i feel is sad because defending is just as much a part of football as attacking. recently, only Ezquiel Garay and possibly Sergio Ramos are pinpointed as the next best things.
      3. ravin on February 14th, 2008 at 1:19 am
      <LI class="comment c3 c-y2008 c-m02 c-d14 c-h01" id=comment-1486>
      Ronaldo, Rooney, Anderson and Tevez already play together!
      4. Ted on February 14th, 2008 at 12:49 am
      <LI class="comment c4 c-y2008 c-m02 c-d14 c-h00 alt" id=comment-1483>
      Good article, making several valid points.
      Ps: You forgot to mention the wonderful Fernando Redondo…he was one of the first Argentinian players to be labelled & tipped as the next Maradona.
      He was a very good player in his own right, although his later years were sadly blighted by injury.
      I’d have loved to have seen him play at his peak - as a replacement for Petit - alongside Vieira in the Arsenal engine room.
      5. Magneto on February 13th, 2008 at 11:42 pm
      <LI class="comment c5 c-y2008 c-m02 c-d13 c-h20" id=comment-1480>
      Great article …
      Benzema seems like a really complete striker, so I am not sure how and why he has been likened to zidane …
      anyways, although he would be a great acquisition for arsenal, I doubt we can match the bidding budgets of the chelseas, barcas, real madrids, and manus .. these teams are ever read to overdo themselves in throwing huge sums at players, and wenger would never spend that much on a player …
      6. goonarosa on February 13th, 2008 at 7:49 pm
    2. Exellent post, He is definately going to be considered one of the best stikers ever to have graced the game of football. Also agree with young up and coming players being tagged “the next”
      Just hope United grab his signature before all the others big clubs and Euro 2008 send his price rocketing. (somehow doubt it with the likes of Madrid and Barcelona and Chelsea intrested)
      The prospect of Ronaldo, Rooney, Anderson and Tevez playing to gether would be a mouth watering prospect.
      7. hattrick on February 13th, 2008 at 7:30 pm
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...w-kit-0708.gif the wisdom and courage of my mind and the strength and vigour of my body", to enable them to enjoy a better life. I ask God's blessings on our nation. I ask for His guidance on the government that I will lead as we face the challenges of the future. I know that we can't even walk without Him holding our hands. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...aa20b58a33.gif

Mexxx, you asked the other day who were the skilful U20 players currently in Jamaica. Well, I have heard about some 13 and 14 year olds that are supposed to be phenomenal, but I haven't seen them so...The ones I have seen have not been anything special.

This weekend, John Barnes will get to see some of our best, well, at least according to those who selected them for him. Not sure if there was a perfect way to do that, so I won't worry about it.

The youngsters who have impressed me somewhat are Eric Vernon (PMU), Keammar Daley (Meadhaven) and a midfielder from HVFC who has quietly been doing his thing. His name is Girvan Brown.

Hopefully, if I get a chance to see the players who will be working out with John Barnes I will come away pleasantly surprised.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Thanks much Moses, while commuting to work today I thought

about taking a vacation to Jamaica and travelling the country to see our young ones rolling ball. That day dream included you driving me around the country side checking on our Pepsi under 16 ballers. You provide car, I provide gas and food and JUICE (de two kind)

AnyWHO, the bottom line for ALL GREAT accomplishments starts with the instructor and pupil. The great institutions of learning always gather the best students and they have the best teachers with a fostering surrounding. Same applies to football.

WE NEED GREAT TEACHERS

We need fostering facilities (good is starting point)

We have motivated pupils

Simple formula, takes time to implement and one has to be vigilant.
      http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...w-kit-0708.gif the wisdom and courage of my mind and the strength and vigour of my body", to enable them to enjoy a better life. I ask God's blessings on our nation. I ask for His guidance on the government that I will lead as we face the challenges of the future. I know that we can't even walk without Him holding our hands. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...aa20b58a33.gif

Comment

The first thing you would need to do is rid yourself of this Pepsi U16 nomenclature. That is oh so KINGSTON! Country people nuh know nutten bout dat. A country, yuh eedah U14, U16 or whatever. And no, it's not COLTS!

I'm fine with the rest of your dream.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

I saw this kid called Jonothan playing for
          a prep school from Reading. The kid was the only one I saw ready for a pro youth team (by INT'L standards) excellent first touch, wicked one one drbbling skills, passing and vision I could not assess properly. This kid was head and shoulders above all his peers (was about four teams there, I saw two games).

That's just one talent thrown by the wayside ; maybe he is at Cornwall now (this Oct 06). I would seriously want the Brasilians to look at this kid; if they say I made a bad call then it's so, I doubt it though

I would want tthis kid to be groomed by professional coaches before he is spoilt by high school football (yeah, yeah curse at me all you guys want, don't care. The truth is the truth; I want Ja to be tops in the game)

Comment

Working...
          X