Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• finally...some STRAIGHT talk

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/st...507845&cc=5901

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

"Most of the squad for this month's friendly against Guatemala were young, in keeping with Olympic soccer rules that limit participants to under 23, with three over-age players allowed."

I wonder if this is the squad that Argentina will be playing us with?
    Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

Things that make you go hmmmm.......
      Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

Charles Hughes...the long ball game

Much of if not all the English FA handbook this guy and that is where they goti it wrong for sure. Also the winning forumula

Comment

Is the premise of the logic flawed?

As I have heard it the foundation of the logic behind the long ball is...

The fastest way to get into a shooting position and hence to a goal is to get the ball from the defensive third to the attacking third as quickly as possible hence giving more chances over a 90 minute period. That time is enabled through the DIRECT play or long ball to forwards (wingers also who then cross) in a shooting position.

Inferior skilled (some call it technique or touch) teams with tall players use this strategy the best, hence Norway was successful with it in World Cup and European Championships.
          http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...w-kit-0708.gif the wisdom and courage of my mind and the strength and vigour of my body", to enable them to enjoy a better life. I ask God's blessings on our nation. I ask for His guidance on the government that I will lead as we face the challenges of the future. I know that we can't even walk without Him holding our hands. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...aa20b58a33.gif

Comment

bottom line...how many long ball teams have won the world cup?

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

His foundation is flawed. Charles Huges who wrote the FA manual dont believe in the concept of possesion, or tempo but direct play. He will argue that 70% of goals are scored in the final third and you get there by playing direct not by build up. Therefore if you follow is premise players who can dribble have close skills are luxury! players who can get the ball forward quickly or penetrate often which then requiries one to recover the ball higher up the pitch is golden. If you understand these factors then you understand what has hampered the BRITISH game. Speed Brawn Strength but not skill. Just look at the league the teams who play football have players outside of this mind set. All I am saying is the architect of this was Charles Huges and addiles is right.

Comment

one ( the winnning formula is the title of Charles Huges video series) not that England has the winning formula

Comment

Originally posted by Jangle View Post
                  Things that make you go hmmmm.......
                  Double mmmm?
                  Yuh seit!
                  Continuity!
                  From this U-23/Olympic squad they are building for the future.
                  That's how it should be - U-17s ----> U-20s/U-21s---->U-23/Olympic----National Senior TEAM.

What is with our nonsense of failure to expose our young (consistent diet of international competition through our year and over years) via the age-group TEAMs and 'less than best available' on our national senior TEAM?
                  "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Italy....

Originally posted by Gamma View Post
                    bottom line...how many long ball teams have won the world cup?
                    maybe, strong defense counter attack with long ball...score.

anywho, me not a proponent of long ball as you well know, I just think the premise of the long ball is incorrect
                    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...w-kit-0708.gif the wisdom and courage of my mind and the strength and vigour of my body", to enable them to enjoy a better life. I ask God's blessings on our nation. I ask for His guidance on the government that I will lead as we face the challenges of the future. I know that we can't even walk without Him holding our hands. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...aa20b58a33.gif

Comment

The question is how many long ball goals has Brazil scored compared to those that required 10 touches from the defence? The facts might astound you!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Mexxx View Post
                        ...me not a proponent of long ball as you well know, I just think the premise of the long ball is incorrect
                        This is a joke right? Your team is under pressure .. one of your midfielder intercepts a pass, looks up field and see his winger have all the space in world .. what should he do? Use the long ball that could lead to goal on the counter? Or follow your philosophy and claim the premise of long ball is incorrect and pass it back to the central defender?
                        "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Come on, Lazie. I doubt very much that that is Mexxx' thinking.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

that is not the point....it is the PHILOSPHY of the long ball. a good team scores from any opportunity so if there is a man open and the defence and clear it to him and does i wouldn't call that a long ball philosphy.

i am familair with the "touches statistics" vis a vis a goal being scored but this does not take away,or add anything.

donovan ricketts seems to have been from the "long ball school"

Comment

I think it is quite interesting to know that Brazil's last few goals in the world cup when they were successful were by the long ball method. I haven't personally checked but some "knowledgeable" person told me this. Of course, the fact that Brazil may have scored in that manner does not mean it has embraced that philosophy. That's not what I am suggesting.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Working...
                              X