X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• John Barnes Comes Home

John Barnes comes home

by Delly's
    The eighth and final leg of the Digicel Kick Start Football Clinics tour will commence in Jamaica on Thursday, February 14 at the Barbican Football Field in Kingston. Digicel, the largest sponsors of football in the Caribbean, conceptualized the Digicel Clinics to offer talented young Caribbean footballers a once in a lifetime chance to learn invaluable footballing skills from one of the territory’s greatest ever footballers, while at the same time being given the opportunity to realize their dream of becoming professional footballers.

Led by former England and Liverpool star John Barnes, who takes on the role of Head Coach for the Clinics, the Digicel Kick Start Football Clinics began in Guyana on January 7, 2008. During the three-day Jamaica Digicel Clinics, Barnes will coach the National Under-20 team on Thursday February 14 and Friday February 15, instructing the team on the importance of technique, discipline, attitude and practice. On Saturday February 16, the 3rd day of the Digicel Clinics, an Under-20 team, voted by the public, will participate in a short training session with Barnes and after which they will play a friendly match against the National Under-20 side.

The Jamaican public now have the opportunity to choose the team who will have the chance to not only train with Digicel Clinics’ Head Coach John Barnes, but who will also be observed by Barnes for consideration to be a part of the Sunderland select six. Digicel customers can vote for their favourite team by texting the name of the team to 444-2429. Voting ends on Monday February 11.

Here are the 12 teams nominated to be a part of the Jamaica Digicel Clinics: Arnett Gardens, August Town, Boys Town, Harbour View, Portmore United, Reno, Seba United, Sporting Central, St. Georges, Tivoli Gardens, Village United and Waterhouse.

At the end of February John Barnes will select the six most talented footballers who will be offered the once in a lifetime opportunity to travel to the UK to take part in one week’s training at English Premier League side Sunderland AFC’s Academy of Light. Barnes explains just what he will be looking for in the select six:

“Not only am I looking for skill, which is in abundance in the Caribbean, but I’m also looking for players with the right mental attitude. Disciplined footballers whose passion in addition to their skill, drives them to success and to make better team players. I will be looking at both the players in the National team as well as the players from the voted team.

“The Caribbean is an untapped market for future footballers in the English Premier League and by choosing six players to go to Sunderland and train for a week at a Premier League Academy, it will give them just the opportunity they need to learn valuable football skills to help them realize their dream. I am looking forward to coming home to Jamaica and seeing what these boys have to offer”.

The Jamaica Digicel Kick Start Football Clinics, at the Barbican Football Field in Kingston, will start on Thursday February 14 and end on Saturday February 16 with a match between the National U-20 and the voted team.
    Wadadah (peace & love)

John Barnes should just take Ricardo Cousins,Ashton Bennett

and Troy Smith to Sunderland .

Comment

maybe we can get him fi lace up too while we at it.
      • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Working...
      X