X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MoBay stadium ... more hopes and promises

MoBay stadium ... more hopes and promises

Western Bureau
    By the time today's edition of The Star hits the streets, the 30th renewal of the popular Milo Western Relays, which is unfolding at the unfinished Catherine Hall Stadium, in Montego Bay, should be well on the way to delivering the type of excitement we have grown accustomed to over the years.

While I will certainly miss the dazzling speed of 100m world record holder Asafa Powell and his MVP teammates Sherone Simpson and Michael Frater, who are either on their way to Australia or are already there for a training camp, I still believe there should be enough quality, especially in the high school section, to make this year's event another memorable occasion.

While I am indeed pleased to be able to see yet another staging of the Milo Relays, my real joy is seeing the construction work now taking place at Catherine Hall, which will ultimately result in the erection of two major spectator stands - a grandstand and bleachers, changing room, bathroom facilities and some of the other facilities we have been yearning for over the years.

With the current construction at Catherine Hall slated to be completed by the end of this coming September, it now seems a safe bet that this will be the last year that athletes and spectators at the Milo Relay will have to deal with the current inconveniences, such as makeshift bathrooms and lack of spectator stands to facilitate comfortable seating.

small mercies

While some people might be thanking God for small mercies in regard to the ongoing construction work, which will transform the Catherine Hall stadium into a proper facility, a far cry from what it has been in the six years since it has been home to the Milo Western Relays, I must admit that I am personally not too thrilled.

As I said in a previous column, when ground was broken at Catherine Hall over a decade ago, the understanding was that we would be getting a 20,000-seat facility, which would automatically render the facility capable of hosting international football and top-flight athletics. However, with the projection that we will only be having a mere 7,500 seats come September, I strongly believe we are being short-changed.

While I have learnt over the years not to take information out of the Urban Development Corporation (UDC) seriously, I somehow want to hope that their latest promise to have a third phase of construction at Catherine Hall to cover additional seating, floodlights and an indoor centre, will become a reality.

long-term wishes

With somewhere in the region of US$20 million already allocated by the Venezuelan government, through facilities such as the San José Accord, to complete the stadium, I definitely would support a probe on the scale of the Cuban ligh bulb saga, if when the Catherine Hall stadium is completed, we don't have a modern stadium we can all be proud of.

Personally, I am looking forward to the day when I can go down to the Catherine Hall Stadium and watch the Reggae Boyz in action under floodlights in an international game. It has also been one of my long-term wishes to see a major track and field meet unfolding under floodlights before a full house right here in Montego Bay.

With the era of inconvenience at the Catherine Hall facilities now seemingly on the verge of ending, I would like to congratulate Ray Harvey, the meet director for the Milo Relays and his dedicated group of volunteers, whose tireless work over the years has kept the relays on track. Milo should also be commended for its unwavering sponsorship support, which is now up to J$1 million.

However, as I said at the top of this article, as an avid track and field fan I am sincerely hoping that today will be one of much excitement at the Catherine Hall Stadium as we get ready to embrace the dawning of a new era come next year. I sincerely wish all the athletes the very best as they pursue individual and team glory.

Feel free to send your feedback to adrianfrater@hotmail.com
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

No worry, what couldn't get done under PJ fi years nah tek Bruce one year.
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Working...
    X