• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• “Goal: South Africa 2010 and Beyond”

“Goal: South Africa 2010 and Beyond”
    January 8, 2008
    Dear Jamaicans,
    On this first contact with you, I’d like to thank all of those who have showed me support and friendship upon my arrival, and even before I landed on the island.

You have been fabulous. You’ve touched my heart and given me valuable extra pay. No money in the world could pay for so much love. However, since my arrival, I’ve heard a few comments that have concerned me. These were loving comments, but dangerous ones considering the arduous job we have ahead of us in order to reach South Africa 2010.

Some of the comments were:
    “Simoes Is Back, Now We’ll Qualify Again.” “He’s The Man. Now We Have A Complete Package; Captain Burrell, Horace Reid, And Rene Simoes, We’re Ready. The Messiah Is Back.”
    It is obvious that, as a human being with many faults and some egocentricity, these statements make me happy. They are a sign that I represent something to some people. But the truth is, that I don’t agree with any of these affirmations.
    We did not qualify to France 98 due to individual work, nor due to the work of a select few.

Our qualifying in 98 was the result of the sum of quality, the incredible Jamaican potential, and the unifying of a Nation in the pursuit of a common objective.
    Cpt. Burrell, Horace Reid, the members of the JFF and myself are only the catalysts of people and their potentials. If we had any merit, it was being able to identify what many couldn’t see.

We are much stronger united than when we are working individually.
    To illustrate my point, I'd like to share a story I read a long time ago and believe to be a true one.
    “ There once was an argument about two ex-prime ministers. They had both been in power at different eras, and one was an authoritarian and a centralizer, and the other was democratic and a unifier. In the midst of the argument a woman who had voted for each man respectively started describing their differences.
    ‘The first man invited me to dinner and convinced me he was the most capable man, the most intelligent and basically the right man to govern the country. The second man also invited me to dinner and convinced me that he was not only intelligent enough, but that he was capable of uniting the country so that everyone, including myself, could govern the country together.’”

The reason I was so worried about all the comments I heard is I am certain I am like the second man in this story. I don’t say this to look conceited or advertise my qualities. This is just the only way I know how to work, and I believe that success only has any value if it is achieved this way. Otherwise, there is no collective flavor, and the celebration has no taste or seasoning. It’s someone else’s success.

The first time I came to ‘Jamaica land we love’, it was due to Capt. Burrell’s refusal to accept NO for an answer. This time around it is different. I wanted to come even though many people told me I was crazy and I was making the wrong decision.

I’m here now, because I believe in the Jamaican potential to achieve things when united. I’m here because I believe in the great Jamaican internal strength, something I’m yet to see in many nations, including my own.

“But, coach,” you may be asking, “if this is true, why don’t Jamaicans win everything we compete in?”

Because Jamaicans have a hard time working collectively; One for all and all for one. My experience has shown that this is a cultural aspect. Jamaicans are brought up to be proud individuals and worry about themselves. When I arrived here in 1994, I went to a game and gave an interview in which I said the teams looked like teams of seals. There were eleven on each side, but each only played for itself like in a circus. I’ve never seen a seal throw the ball to another. In conversations with many executives they told me their greatest difficulty was creating mutual cooperation among employees. Because of the lack of teamwork, there was a lot more waste of time and resources than there would have been if they all worked together. In addition to that, we live in times in which one’s victory is the other’s defeat. Everyone is fighting among everyone and none is accepting his neighbor’s advancements.

This reminds me of another story. I had a player whose performance declined abruptly and I couldn’t understand why. I asked everyone if they knew of any problems going on with this particular player. I even asked Horace Reid if he knew what was going on. He answered that the player had asked him for a loan to get a new car. Extremely puzzled and somewhat disappointed by this request, I approached the player and told him there would be no loan. I knew he had a car with only six months use. It took him a while to speak out, but finally he explained: “Coach, so and so has just bought the brand new model to my car, and I can’t fall behind.”

What we need to understand is that, the best victory we can have is not defeating an opponent, but overcoming our difficulties and repairing our faults in order to always be the best we can be.

We have a lot of work ahead of us. A lot of time has been wasted, but it is no use trying to blame anyone . All we can do now is roll up our sleeves and get down to some serious work.

My first order of business will be assessing and diagnosing Jamaican football’s present situation. Then I will draw up a plan with strategies to take us to South Africa in 2010. In fact, this is what I think the program should be called “Goal: South Africa 2010 and Beyond”. In order to make this initial assessment I will need to talk to many people . I will need open minds and hearts in order to identify our true reality.

At the first press conference we had upon my arrival, I sent a few direct messages that I would like to emphasise once again.

To the Jamaican People:
    We did it, together, once. We can do it, together, again! I, once again, invite everyone to dream, plan, work hard, sometimes fail, re-plan, work even harder and achieve success, together.
    To the players:
    No overseas player will have a guaranteed spot in the national team simply because he plays abroad, and no local player will be discarded simply because they play in the national league. I also mentioned that they will need to re-invoke the Reggae Boyz Family spirit in order to be part of the team. The group will be formed not by the best players, but by the strongest and most suitable for the family. Now, if the player is strong, suitable and happens to have great technique and ability, all the better. But I must re-emphasize that technical ability and talent alone will not be a passport into our family.

In order to strengthen this family spirit, we must have a house for the players. We can renovate the one we already have, buy a new one or even get one by means of donation. Either way, we definitely cannot stay in hotels. A family can only prosper in a real ‘home’.
    We must create a new Reggae Boyz fever. A few days ago I read an article by my friend, Tony Becca that worried me. He wrote about the lack of public attendance at sporting events of all types. The sad reality is that if we don’t start giving more value to our sports, we will lose our children and youngsters to computers that, although have brought great advancements in many areas, are forming a generation of sedentary and virtually emotional persons.

We must go back to playing 25 games a year. This will not only give the team more experience and market value to local players, but it will also form players ambassadors of this country that is full of entertainment and tourism.

We will have to make sure that all the administrative departments of the federation work at the highest level of excellence. The opponents in the World Cup qualifiers no longer see us as a weak team. Jamaica draws respect now, and that means we are in high level- much more difficult- competition. At this stage, there is no room and there will be no tolerance for administrative mistakes.

I was very happy to hear that Leighton Mcnight and Gary Synclair would be taking over the financial aspects of the Federation. This is a sign that there will be great credibility, transparency and seriousness throughout or journey. This is a key point for all the investors to come back on board the largest publicity vehicle there is – FOOTBALL.

All the sponsors of the Road to France project collected their dues. All were winners. The performance of some industry employees improved due to their contribution to the program. The workers felt pride and that improved their performances. This was told to me by a high executive at Grace Kennedy. Running a program of this magnitude does not come cheap, and it is only possible with the cooperation of the private sector. This cannot be the sole responsibility of the government. The government already has too much on its agenda, like education, health, transportation etc. However, the government’s participation is also essential . Afterall, the 1998 World Cup did bring a lot of direct and indirect benefits to the government. According to information I got from the Tourist Board, these benefits amounted to millions of US dollars. For example, Jamaica had always wanted a booth in the Charles de Gaulle airport, even when they offered to pay for it they never got it. During the World Cup, that wish came true, and free of charge.
    We will give full support and do whatever necessary to ensure the success of Dr. Dawes with the coaches’ school. This was a point in which we were not successful during the last program but that can change now. It is very important that our coaches are better qualified in order to guarantee that the local clubs will produce ever more high quality players.

Women’s football is now a reality around the world. Women, with their great tenacity, have been breaking barriers, and overcoming prejudice every day. Thirty years ago it was unthinkable that a woman could be prime minister; it would be insanity and a disrespect to the men’s private club in politics. But now we see they’ve done it, and with the talent and technical ability of Jamaican football, I have no doubt that, very soon, they can become a great power in CONCACAF. Let’s plan this evolution carefully.
    We need an airline that will guarantee flights around the world so we can advertise Jamaica as well as develop our players and aid clubs in future player transfers to foreign teams.
    It is necessary that the media feel equally responsible for the success or failure of the program. I’m here with open arms, mind and a heart full of hope and understanding that all will be rewarded for their achievements. In 1998 we had some battles, but I must highlight the good work done by the media in Jamaica’s qualification. Each in their way and time gave a contribution. In the present situation it will be required that we have more dialogue and understanding, making sure, at the same time, that no one loses principles and convictions in what he does, says or writes. Time is short untill June. I will try to have the best and most constant dialogue possible.

With our dear Dr. Heather Little-White in charge of the nutritional area of the program, we will need greater support and sponsorship for our players. The scientific aspects of football are being more and more explored, we’re forever on the run, and it is imperative that players are provided with good nutrition and supplements (vitamins, amino acids etc.).

Our players will have to understand that one of their major responsibilities, as public personalities, is help in the moral formation of all children and youth of this country. It is not enough to be a player, they must be role models so that our society will be inspired to be more active and put on more walks like the one I saw on the papers days ago showing banners expressing ZERO TOLERANCE TOWARD VIOLENCE. I wasn’t shocked to see that banner. I’ve seen the same banners waved in Brazil and around the world.

These banners will not disappear until we’ve all become conscious of our social responsibility to the solution of this problem without thinking it is only the problem of a few. Our players and technical staff must understand this and act accordingly.
    After assessing and diagnosing we will have fit all the points above in a strategic manner that I believe will be vital for the success of this program. I’ve always believed in hard work and dreams and I want to invite you to do both with me once again. Dreams are the oxygen that move me. They don’t cost anything and are very good for your health.

May God, in his infinite goodness, fill us with the wisdom and humility to recognise that, with Him, nothing is impossible.
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."
Working...
X