• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I felt the vibes to play - Marshall

I felt the vibes to play - Marshall
    published: Friday | February 8, 2008

Robert Bailey, Freelance Writer

Tyrone Marshall (left) heads in the equaliser against Costa Rica at the National Stadium on Wednesday night. - Ricardo Makyn/Staff Photographer

ASH WEDNESDAY has become a special day in the life of national footballer, Tyrone Marshall.

The 32-year-old utility player scored his second goal for Jamaica in their come-from-behind 1-1 draw against Costa Rica in a friendly international on Wednesday night at the National Stadium.

Marshall's first goal for Jamaica was in a 1-0 victory over Trinidad and Tobago in their World Cup qualifier on February 28, 2001 at the same venue.

Substitute, Victor Nunez, gave the visitors the lead in the 80th minute when he broke free of two Jamaican defenders and then slotted the ball past custodian Donovan Ricketts.

However. Marshall came to the rescue in extra time with a well-aimed header that hit the target.

Did well
    "I feel great," said Marshall in an interview with The Gleaner after the match. "I think overall we did well. We dominated the first half, but unfortunately, we didn't get any goals. Demar Phillips had a beautiful bicycle effort that hit the post," Marshall said.

"The crowd was very positive and we kept fighting throughout the game. We showed good team spirit and a lot of character," he said.
    Marshall, who plays for Toronto in the US Major League Soccer (MLS), noted that he was now injury free.

"I'm very satisfied with my performance seeing that I haven't played a full 90 minutes in a long time," he said. "Tonight for me it was all about going out there and concentrating and being smart and this was what happened and I am happy with the end result," Marshall said.

"I must say thanks to the Jamaican public for coming out and supporting us because when I looked up in the stands I felt the vibes to play. I think the next time around it is going to be even better."
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

...and Gardner

Gardner happy for 'tough' encounter
    published: Friday | February 8, 2008

REGGAE BOYZ captain, Ricardo Gardner, believes the rugged encounter against Costa Rica was just what the doctor ordered as the national team continues its preparations to embark upon what is expected to be a tough World Cup qualification campaign.

"It was a very tough game. We weren't at our best, but it is games like these that we need to improve ourselves both as players and as a unit," Gardner said at Wednesday night's post-game press conference.

Rock solid
    Gardner, who plies his trade for English Premier League team, Bolton Wanderers, was rock solid in his customary position at left back, but almost saw the team come out 1-0 losers, were it not for the heroics of veteran defender, Tyrone Marshall, who brought the scores level with an injury-time header.

"We never gave up, we had to fight because we remember that we are not just playing for ourselves, but almost 2.6 million people," Gardner, a member of the team that made history by qualifying for the 1998 World Cup in France, said.

"We would like to thank all the fans for coming out ... we are happy for the support and I know we will improve with each game we play," he said. - K.M.
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Originally posted by Karl View Post
      "We never gave up, we had to fight because we remember that we are not just playing for ourselves, but almost 2.6 million people," Gardner, a member of the team that made history by qualifying for the 1998 World Cup in France, said.
      Den Bibi, what about the diaspora?!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
        Den Bibi, what about the diaspora?!
        Yuh seit!
        Bibi kno nuff a wi live hout-side a di hi-land...

...but, Bibi nuh wake up tuh di fact dat dere his hin-ter-net and cable and other broadcast media outlets?

Comment

Unnun nuh count.. divided allegiance...

Comment

Oh yeah except for MO (wid him green card) ah
            bare american ah post pon dis site No wonder Zeppo just post on yah an nuh bizniz.

Comment

Originally posted by Jawge View Post
              Oh yeah except for MO (wid him green card) ah
              bare american ah post pon dis site No wonder Zeppo just post on yah an nuh bizniz.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Hi mean the number of people who were watching the match not the number of Jamaicans a yard
                The same type of thinking that created a problem cannot be used to solve the problem.

Comment

Working...
                X