• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Simoes urges support for local-based talent

Simoes urges support for local-based talent
    SEAN A WILLIAMS, Assistant Sports Editor
    Friday, February 08, 2008

Jamaica's technical director, Rene Simoes (left), speaks at a post-match press conference while Costa Rican coach Hernan Medford looks on at the National Stadium on Wednesday. (Photos: Garfield Robinson)
    Technical director of Jamaica's football, Brazilian Rene Simoes, has urged the Jamaica Football Federation (JFF) to prioritise a programme of sustainable development and international exposure for home-based talent.

Simoes, who was addressing a post-match press conference after the Reggae Boyz and Central American outfit, Costa Rica, played to a 1-1 draw at 'The Office', stressed the importance of developing the local talent pool that he claims will contribute to the general upgrade of the programme as Jamaica look to qualify for South Africa 2010.

"We have to play around the world with the local players to improve their experience and after that we can mix them with overseas players and after that we can be a good Jamaica team," Simoes said.
    The Brazilian, who was in charge of his first game since returning to Jamaican shores, cited the Costa Rican model as an example for Jamaica to follow.

"He (Hernan Medford, Costa Rica coach) is doing exactly what we have started doing here, that is to move with local players around the world which will improve their quality. When they (Costa Rica) have the FIFA dates they put the players to play overseas and that is our intention," said the Brazilian.

In response to the Brazilian's call for overseas matches for the local lads, JFF boss, Captain Horace Burrell, in what appeared an about-face from his "best 11" philosophy, vowed to support Simoes in all his endeavours.
    "I will support Simoes in every possible way. I believe in him and I trust that he believes in our talent. I will give every support he needs to achieve the goals," said Burrell.

The previous JFF administration, under the directive of then head coach Velibor 'Bora' Milutinovic, employed this same philosophy, but came under fire from all and sundry after the teams suffered heavy losses and plunged down the standings on the FIFA rankings.
    Meanwhile, Simoes has heaped praise on the local-based Reggae Boyz who participated in Wednesday night's friendly international inside a packed National Stadium.

"I can tell you that we have quality here. When you look at the player (Rudolph) Austin, he's not a simple player. he is a great player. (Wolry) Wolfe came and played a wonderful game. he brought a great personality to the game," Simoes told reporters at a post-match press conference.
    Both Austin and Wolfe play domestically for Cash Plus Premier League team, Portmore United. Austin, an athletic utility player with a thunderous right-foot shot, played the entire match on Wednesday that ended 1-1. Wolfe, a left-sided midfielder, entered the game as a second-half sub in the 80th minute for Stoke City's Demar Phillips. Both players did themselves proud in a team top-heavy with foreign-based professionals.
    Another local player, Roen Nelson, also of Portmore, was introduced in the game in the 85th minute, but failed to make an impression in his 10 minutes on the pitch.

Simoes noted that it is part of Jamaica's development plan to do what Costa Rica are doing at the moment - giving their home-based players exposure on the road.

Meanwhile, the mustachioed Brazilian hailed a fine overall Boyz performance considering that the players had come together just a mere two days before the game.

"I am very pleased with the result, considering that the team has only been together for two days. We did not play the best game, but the players fought and then the fans joined in as one Reggae Boyz family," noted Simoes.

On the tactical front, he was quick to shoot down suggestions that the centre of defence marshalled by Queens Park Rangers' Damion Stewart and Tranmere Rover's Ian 'Pepe' Goodison played in a suspect manner.
    "Tell me how many times (Donovan) Ricketts had to save a shot? You can't say, so how can you say our defence line was not good. Ricketts did not have anything to do," said Simoes, as he rebutted a reporter's question.

"What I think happened is that the coach (Simoes) was smart and he put four players in front of the goalkeeper and they protected him, so I don't believe the defenders were incompetent," he added. "Costa Rica had one chance and they were capable to capitalise."

The Brazilian, who guided Jamaica to their unprecedented appearance at the World Cup Finals in France 1998, was, however, meek in conceding that in-form strikers - Wigan Athletic's Marlon King and Ricardo Fuller of Stoke City - did not get the midfield support they needed to be more effective.

"As a Brazilian you will always be concerned with that. Yes, we need to support our strikers more. It is very difficult for strikers to play in those circumstances," he argued.

Boyz skipper, Ricardo 'Bibi' Gardner of Bolton Wanderers, said Wednesday's game provided a real test and served as a yardstick to determine the state of the team as the 'Back To Africa' campaign gets underway.
    "I want to thank all of Jamaica for supporting us and I want to thank the Costa Rica team for making the game tough for us. It was a difficult game, and it is games like these that are going to help us to improve our game individually and collectively," he said.

He said for Jamaica - trailing Costa Rica after an 80th-minute goal by substitute Victor Nunez - to come back in time added to salvage the game was a demonstration of fight and self-belief.

"We will give a 110 per cent in each game and you could see that in tonight's (Wednesday's) game as we did not give up as we believed in each other and went on and got the draw," said Gardner, who was only 18 years old when Simoes selected him for the World Cup team of 1998.
    Tyrone Marshall of Toronto FC scored the all-important goal with a precision backpost header from a King right-side cross.

Costa Rica's coach Medford, a former international, was very pleased at game's end and paid tribute to the Jamaican effort. "It was a very good game from Jamaica and it was a great game all over. The Costa Rican team tried to do their best, but we figured that Jamaica had the better of play, and when we went up we were very happy. But we are happy that Jamaica tied the game," he said.

The Boyz will return to 'The office' for their next friendly international against Caribbean neighbours Trinidad and Tobago on March 26.
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Tuesday, February 05, 2008 Karl:

The game within the game!
    Our development as a football power is as far away as the thinking of our football leaders’ mindset.

An excellent start to traveling the path to success on the world’s football stage occurred in 1994 with the assumption of the top job, president of the Jamaica Football Federation, by Captain Horace Burrell. Captain Burrell moved our football from being a Caribbean also ran to making our national teams consistently at the top of the Caribbean in the FIFA Ranking Charts in the 1994 through 2003 years.

http://www.reggaeboyzsc.com/views.aspx?id=227
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Poor Bora. He was doing exactly what Simoes was proposing. The difference was the leadership, and all other things that went along with that.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Karl View Post
        The Brazilian, who guided Jamaica to their unprecedented appearance at the World Cup Finals in France 1998, was, however, meek in conceding that in-form strikers - Wigan Athletic's Marlon King and Ricardo Fuller of Stoke City - did not get the midfield support they needed to be more effective.

"As a Brazilian you will always be concerned with that. Yes, we need to support our strikers more. It is very difficult for strikers to play in those circumstances," he argued.
        If you listen to some of us on this forum, there is nothing that needs fixing. We only need to work with this unit some more and everything will be honky-dory!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
          Poor Bora. He was doing exactly what Simoes was proposing. The difference was the leadership, and all other things that went along with that.
          I think you are mis-reading what Simoes said and Burrell's policy decision is! it may not be wise to follow the local sports media all the time as too often they think not inside the box or outside the box in a reasoned way, but rather seem to wander in murky areas.

The locals shall get exposure by playing along side the seasoned professionals. It shall always be 'best available TEAM'.

Comment

Just explain to me what this mean. Simply!

In response to the Brazilian's call for overseas matches for the local lads, JFF boss, Captain Horace Burrell, in what appeared an about-face from his "best 11" philosophy, vowed to support Simoes in all his endeavours.
            "I will support Simoes in every possible way. I believe in him and I trust that he believes in our talent. I will give every support he needs to achieve the goals," said Burrell.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
              Just explain to me what this mean. Simply!

Exactly what it says!
              ...and why would you believe that does not mean "best available TEAM at all times"?

Comment

Yes, Prof. I'm with you. When are you
                taking our local boyz to Brasil to learn the game of football and its Science?

Yes Bibi yuh right, nuh worry wi want di Mexicans Now!!

Comment

So the forward needed some support? Fuller never did a go inna 3 and four defender because he wanted to?

We needed an attacking midfielder to do the job.
                  • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

And where did you get that from my post? Because Bora may have selected what looks like "not best available team" does not mean that it wasn't the best available. He may have intentionally left some "best" players off for whatever reason.

The point remains the same, Karl, and I don't want you to water it down. Local players must get overseas matches. You can argue whether it's "best available TEAM" all you want.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Don't even compare the vacation to the man working hard.

How long was it going to take Bora?
                      • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Yuh talking about something else now. Maybe you want to compare presidents. Let me know.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Stay deh find excuse for Fuller. With the best attacking midfielder I am not sure Fuller would have performed any differently.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

By the way, Was Crenston at the game Wednesday? Anybody see him as of late?
                            President of the FACCAC - Fans Againts Clueless Crenston and Cronies (cronies include Mosiah and Sicko)

Comment

Originally posted by Karl View Post
                              Exactly what it says!
                              ...and why would you believe that does not mean "best available TEAM at all times"?
                              Karl wha di blowscup do yuh man?

"We have to play around the world with the local players to improve their experience and after that we can mix them with overseas players and after that we can be a good Jamaica team,"

Comment

Working...
                              X