Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Choices, choices, choices!

published: Thursday | February 7, 2008

NOW JAMAICA has seen the Reggae Boyz, with a team looking similar to the one expected to attempt the long journey back to Africa in 2010, three times now and, from all indications, the team is stocked with real talent.

I keep going back to René Simoes' statement when he just arrived. At the time he had said there was more to work with this time around than his 1998 campaign. With this will come problems of selection, though this kind of issue is the kind I like.

Having watched the players in their various leagues and without the benefit of writing this after yesterday's game, I have some idea of what a final 11 could look like, but I also see serious difficulties in coming to a consensus about it.

As a matter of fact, there isn't an area of the field where starts aren't up for grabs.

Abundance of talent
    Not for the first time, Jamaica have an abundance of talent in its forward line, though never before have we had so many players in sublime form. Marlon King is showing the kind of form that saw him scoring three goals in two games when he first came to the national set-up and I expect him to take his place as the first choice striker.

Then, there is the controversial figure of Ricardo Fuller. Fuller's controversy comes from Jamaica's impatience with his poor scoring record. However, this season he has consistently been hitting the back of the net and deserves to take his place beside King.

Then there is also Luton Shelton, whose praises I have been singing for a long time. The striker, blessed with real pace and skill provides something very different from the starters I have suggested. Unlike Fuller, he is very direct and makes a bee-line for the goal with every opportunity.

Furthermore, he is much quicker than both strikers and the only reason he is not a starter on my list is the fact that he hasn't been scor-ing for Sheffield United in England's Championship division.

In midfield, where it seems Simoes wont be using two holding players, Rudolph Austin seems the man for the job. Again, for the first time, Jamaica has options in this department as Khari Stephenson and Oniel Thompson are also capable players. Thompson, with his tough personality, can influence a game and Stephenson with his smooth play will allow Jamaica to move from defence into attack in a seamless manner. This is, of course, even though neither was called to the squad this time around.

Making the grade
    Jamal Campbell-Ryce, Jermaine Hue and Ricardo Gardner are the midfielders who should make the grade while Kevin Morrison, a player, with some potential has also made an impression since going to Belgium and he could make a mark. A notable omission is Jermaine Johnson and I am not sure I'll have any sleepless nights over that one.

In the defensive third of the field, Jamaica is again blessed with an abundance of choice. Outside of Christopher Harvey, a central defender with a cool head, all Jamaica's players will come from England. The most highly respected in my book is Sunderland captain, Nyron Nosworthy, but the presence of both Claude Davis and Damion Stewart will provide some amount of competition. As a matter of fact, so interesting could the contest become that Stewart might find himself having to play right back. Even there, he might not find a place as Tyrone Marshall is also playing and is a favourite of fans and coach alike.

He might slot in there if Omar Daley doesn't make the cut as the team's right-back.

In the mix in all this is Shavar Thomas who is most certainly a player with some potential. Like Davis and Stewart, his improvement has been marked. He is fitter and faster and his reading of the game is still something of note.

At left back, Jamaica should use Demar Phillips Christopher Jackson is a bigger, more physical player, Phillips has been playing some very good football and I think he is ahead of Jackson at this point.

While Donovan Ricketts has been Jamaica's number one in goal for a long time, he has some serious competition from Dwayne Kerr, who has been improving in leaps and bounds.

Two competent 11s
    In all of this, the prognosis is that now that Jamaica's 'Back to Africa' campaign is in full swing, picking the team won't be a matter of just leaving out a few players the fans might not agree with; this time around, Jamaica could field two competent 11s and Simoes will have his hands full.

The danger in having so many options is the fact that finding the right chemistry might be difficult. Making the wrong choices, even with a talented team, can kill Jamaica's chances.
    Send feedback to Paul-Andre.Walker @gleanerjm.com
    "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

heh heh heh .. there they go again with this abundance of talent myth. sigh.
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Is not suh much dat.. Demar Phillips at left back is the real mystery.

Demar is one of the most complete players on the left side, very good control, passing, movement, a threat moving forward.. a live-wire.. left back would be a complete waste.

Comment

Originally posted by Maudib View Post
        Demar is one of the most complete players on the left side, very good control, passing, movement, a threat moving forward.. a live-wire.. left back would be a complete waste.
        For once I will agree with you. Philips should be more involved in the middle especially in attack. I see your strategy however as that would then leave opening for Bibi at left back.
        "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

Bigger mystery is including Maestro. Not while Demar is doing a much better job.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Mek mi straighten yuh out.

Bibi nuh haffi mek my starting 11.. once yuh can find a better overall option at LB.

Comment

Maestro would be good right behind the forwards..

We would need a hell of a defensive/holding midfielder to compenstate doh..

4-1-3-2

Comment

how all of a sudden we have so much talent? and when a man nah play him better than the whole field.

Where was this talent 3 month ago when we couldn't be a team of granny?

Give Simoes him time and let the man do his thingy.
                • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Yeah!!! Why wasn't Oneil Thompson called for this match? Was he injured? He was one of the better players in the last two friendlys.

Comment

Working...
                  X