RBSC

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rafa on Chel$ki /Skrtel on the promised land.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rafa on Chel$ki /Skrtel on the promised land.

RAFA ON TORRES LOSS, KUYT AND CHELSEA
    Jimmy Rice 07 February 2008 Rafa Benitez spoke to the press ahead of this weekend's crucial clash with Chelsea. Here's what he had to say in full. To watch the press conference click here>>

Journalist: Firstly Rafa, looking at Steven Gerrard as England captain last night. Should he take the role permanently?

Rafa: I think so. He is capable of doing it because he has a very good mentality. I also think it would be a boost for him for the future.

Would you be happy though, or do you think it could affect his Liverpool form?

I don't think so. He has experience and can handle it.

And what about that 4-5-1 formation?

[Smiles] What, against Chelsea?

But did you see it, with England playing 4-5-1?

I don't like to talk about other teams. I have a lot of respect for the England team and Capello.

Javier Mascherano – is the deal done yet?

I am not sure. We are progressing but I don't have any latest news yet.

Looking ahead to the weekend – he's playing in America today. Is he going to be back in time?

He will come tomorrow, but I am really disappointed with the friendly games. We have lost Torres and Mascherano will come back tomorrow. To play friendly games in a busy period like this, it's not fair.

And you're without Xabi Alonso through suspension too – it's going to be difficult, isn't it?

Yes. I am really disappointed. It's a difficult situation to explain. It's not a question of money or anything, it's a question of winning: we are playing for trophies in 10 days and if we lose Torres and other players playing friendly games in America, it's not fair.

Will Mascherano be okay for Sunday?

Yes, I think so but we need to wait.

Fill us in on the situation regarding Fernando Torres?

The news we have is that he has a hamstring injury but we will bring the player back here today, have a scan and check how he is. Normally when you leave the pitch like this it means at least one week.

So will he definitely miss the Chelsea game?

I think so. I need to talk with the doctor and with him but I think so.

How big a blow is that?

You know he was scoring a lot of goals. We've talked about Gerrard and Torres scoring a lot of goals for the team, so I think it will be a big problem for us. Now we have to work with the other players.

With Peter Crouch on form, is Crouch and Torres your best partnership at the moment?

The other day everybody was talking about this but now we have to change it. It is not about a rotation policy, it is about injuries.

On the flip side, it gives Dirk Kuyt a chance, a player who really needs a lift at the moment...

Yes, you know I have confidence in all our strikers but I do like to have them all available. If you know Kuyt, he is a fantastic professional with a really good mentality. He is a worker and he can score goals. He does an important job for the team and sometimes if Torres scores goals it is because Kuyt is working as hard as he does. He is okay but he would like to score more goals and I would like that too, for sure. I am very confident in him.

Why do you think he is struggling in front of goal?

We must create more chances and he will score goals. With strikers, they need to score goals. Then they are happier. Maybe they don't play well, but if they score the winning goal everyone will talk about them and give them man of the match.

What about John Arne Riise - there was a story that he was talking to you about his future?

But the transfer window is closed! He will be ready for the next game.

That game is Chelsea. Have you been surprised at how well Avram Grant has done there?

Not really. When we talk about Chelsea, we are talking about top-class players. They have spent some money in the transfer window. They were already a good team and they are a good time now. They have a manager with experience, so it's normal that they should stay near the top of the table.

It's a different kind of build-up to what we've been used to in the past though, isn't it?

Yes but the thing that makes the difference is usually the players.

There's been a massive rivalry between Liverpool and Chelsea lately though, hasn't there?

Yes, because we played in two Champions League semi-finals and also the Carling Cup final and the FA Cup. But that's normal: if you want to win trophies, you have to play top sides.

You've still not beaten Chelsea away Rafa, is that a great source of frustration?

Some people asked me about Chelsea away, but no one wins at Stamford Bridge usually. It's not just us that find it a difficult stadium, it's everybody.

In terms of the Premier League, can you still catch Chelsea?

We will see after this game. This game is the key. If we can get three points, we can be there. For us, it's been a bad week and now this is a big test for us.

Finally Rafa, and moving on, what do you make of the current offside rule? Do you understand it?

I understand that the rule is a mess! That is very clear. I have explained 100 times that we need to go back and look at this. The offside rule is the difference between this and other sports. If a player is in an offside position, that should be it. It would be easier for the referees and linesmen. Maybe someone in an office has wanted to invent something but it is a mess. You see situations in every game that no one understands. When I was a player – a long time ago! – if you had a player in the middle who was offside, that was it.

SKRTEL: I'VE REACHED PROMISED LAND
    Jimmy Rice 07 February 2008 Martin Skrtel has described his move to Liverpool as reaching 'the promised land'. Speaking after Slovakia's 1-1 draw against Hungary on Wednesday, the 23-year-old reflected on his move from FC Zenit.

He said: "Obviously to move to a team like Liverpool was a major step in my career. For me it was like reaching the promised land in terms of football because they are such a great club. Moving to Anfield has been the pinnacle of my career so far."

Skrtel believes his move to England can inspire some of his countrymen to follow suit.

"I'm pretty confident that Slovakian players have the ability to move abroad and play in bigger leagues," the defender said.

"There are some good players who can play in leagues like the ones in England, Germany or Italy. I, personally, have high hopes for the future of Slovakian football."
    THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Like how him sidestep the question on Crouch.
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Yep rumour has it he is on his way out , A.Villa could use him.
      THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

Rafa better hang on to him fi compliment the new 20 million $$ signing
        • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

yuh can ongle lead the horse to water....

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Rafa's purchases thus far

Alonso

Josemi
            Garcia
            Sissoko
            Agger
            Nunez
            Pellegrino
            Gonzalez
            Kuyt
            Bellamy
            Crouch
            Aurelio
            Pennant
            Arbeloa
            Fowler
            Mascherano
            Reina
            Anderson
            Paletta
            Padelli
            Roque
            Peltier
            Nabil El Zhar
            Brouwer
            Hansen
            Flynn
            Insua
            Duran
            Huth
            Idrizaj
            Antwi
            Carsson
            Kromkamp
            Morientes
            Barragan
            Anderson
            Ajdarevic
            Zenden
            Lucas
            Veronin
            Simon
            Nemeth
            Mihailov
            San Jose
            Kacaniklic
            Pacheco
            Purie
            Alexandrov
            Torres
            Benayoun
            Babel
            Awang
            Amoo
            Bouzanis
            Pouriez
            Skrtel
            Karl commenting on Maschaeroni's sending off, "Getting sent off like that is anti-TEAM!
            Terrible decision by the player!":busshead::Laugh&roll::Laugh&roll::eek::La ugh&roll:

Comment

Working...
            X