Do Jamaicans support the national team

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do Jamaicans support the national team

or dem turn up fi see a Brazilian coach?

I recall when we played / hosted the our first Shell Cup final, my crew and I left St. Ann that Sunday afternoon purchased our tickets and had no problem entering the venue. I will admit that the crowd was larger than the other games, but the stadium wasn't full.

Roll forward a few years and Simoes had his first game in charge against the USA and damn ... my friends and I were wondering where suh much people come from. The trend continued for most of the games throughout Simoes' reign a few exceptions included a Shell Cup game against Bermuda (I think) and when it appeared that we wouldn't make it to France the crowd for the home game aganst El Salvador was so small there we could hear the echo in the stadium.

During the non Brazilian years the crowd wasn't that large, but seeing the crowd last night .... mi really affi wonder. When Simoes gone we affi bring in another big name coach or we may affi use Harbour View Mini Stadium fi mek it look like a full house.
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Does it really matter?
    Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

Aah Lazie. Aaah bwoy! Den people come question my support. I am here supporting regardless of whether it is Bora, Burrell, Simoes, Boxhill, Tappa, WD, CB or Best Dressed!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Yes It Does!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Again I ask, does it really matter who they are supporting as long as the stadium is full? Let's face it, Jamaica do not have a football culture. What is the average crowd size at a NPL game? The average working man don't want to waste his hard-earned money to go watch a disorganized national team. With Simoes there is a sense of hope.
          Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

Yuh evah watch the crowd during a Reggaeboyz game..

The Brazil Capoeira contingent were the only fan noise heard outside of the obvious situations.. it must be a football culture problem, because mi hear nuff noise during Champs.. "Big Man nuh cheer or sing"

Comment

Originally posted by Maudib View Post

The Brazil Capoeira contingent were the only fan noise heard outside of the obvious situations.. it must be a football culture problem, because mi hear nuff noise during Champs.. "Big Man nuh cheer or sing"
              Thank you BenJ. Well said.

Comment

Originally posted by Jangle View Post
                Again I ask, does it really matter who they are supporting as long as the stadium is full? Let's face it, Jamaica do not have a football culture. What is the average crowd size at a NPL game? The average working man don't want to waste his hard-earned money to go watch a disorganized national team. With Simoes there is a sense of hope.
                Maybe it doesn't matter ... but if the crowd is coming out just because its a big name coach ... then our supporters are as much waggonist as the Trinis then.

Thats why on the Sunday when we had our last game against Mexico ... we cut infront a people ... some people did vex ... but we neva care. Thats why when real football fans talk .. agree wid dem or not ... the waggonists must listen.
                "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Originally posted by Maudib View Post

Not talking bout cheer or sing ... the reality is if a big name coach isn't leading the national team the crowd nuh turn up.

Personally I'm not in the singing and cheering cause I want to hear when the ref blow for a foul or offside etc.

Comment

I was describing a symptom of the same problem.. Healthy Football Culture...

Wi nuh have it.

Eidda yuh accept it or yuh don't.

Comment

Jamaicans support the Reggaeboyz brand. Yestrday's game was well publicised, and the team is coming off two impressive victories over Guatemala and El Salvador. Add the return of the very charismatic Rene Simoes, Bob's birthday, and it being ash Wednesday (public holiday?) and you get a full house crowd. People are also still happy to see Burrell back in the picture. I anticipate another near capacity crowd next month for the caribbean derby vs T&T
                      President of the FACCAC - Fans Againts Clueless Crenston and Cronies (cronies include Mosiah and Sicko)

Comment

Originally posted by Lazie View Post
                        Maybe it doesn't matter ... but if the crowd is coming out just because its a big name coach ... then our supporters are as much waggonist as the Trinis then.

Thats why on the Sunday when we had our last game against Mexico ... we cut infront a people ... some people did vex ... but we neva care. Thats why when real football fans talk .. agree wid dem or not ... the waggonists must listen.
                        If Simoes can change or improve Jamaica's football culture, then i am ok with that. For years we Jamaicans believed that because we have "thousands" of Adus and wikkid likkle ballas beating the USA (who caan play ball) was a given. To date, we are yet to beat them in any senior game.

Comment

Not true Lazie. We played Uruguay som etime ago to a full house crowd in a firndly game...I believe CB was in charge of that game. Whitmore got good support in his two games recently too.

In trinidad's case, Maturana was in charge of his first game yesterday...and Kenwyn Jones, who has been a hot comodity in recent times in the EPL was pplaying for them for the first tim ein about 2 years...5000 peeps turning up is an insult to the new coach and Jones in my mind.
                          President of the FACCAC - Fans Againts Clueless Crenston and Cronies (cronies include Mosiah and Sicko)

Comment

Originally posted by Reggae-Fan View Post
                            Not true Lazie. We played Uruguay som etime ago to a full house crowd in a firndly game...I believe CB was in charge of that game. Whitmore got good support in his two games recently too.

In trinidad's case, Maturana was in charge of his first game yesterday...and Kenwyn Jones, who has been a hot comodity in recent times in the EPL was pplaying for them for the first tim ein about 2 years...5000 peeps turning up is an insult to the new coach and Jones in my mind.
                            What yuh mean by not true? Can you provide the stats for the Uruguay game?

Peru - 10,500
                            Canada - 5,000
                            Haiti - 3,000

Panama - 8,000
                            Chili 17,500
                            El Salvador - 22,000
                            Guatemala - 15,600

Comment

Originally posted by Reggae-Fan View Post

But Guadeloupe? I think the opponent had more to do with the turn-out than the T&T team. A more established opponent would have brought the SocaWarriors' supporters out.

Comment

Working...
                              X