• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A new era dawns for the Reggae Boyz

A new era dawns for the Reggae Boyz
    published: Wednesday | February 6, 2008

Audley Boyd, Assistant Sport Editor

SIMOES

WITH MANY goals to achieve, Jamaica's Reggae Boyz aim to take apart Costa Rica in a friendly international bearing real trial proportions at 'The Office', tonight.

Two persons who have served the country's football well over contrasting periods in the past - technical director, René Simoes, and striker, Marlon King - are also returning to duty.

The team is seeking its third straight victory at home while Costa Rica, who arrived here on Monday night, drew their last match 0-0 away against Iran on January 30, after losing 1-0 in San Jose against Sweden in mid-January. Since October 13 last year, they have also drawn with El Salvador (2-2), Haiti (1-1) and Panama (1-1).

The level of expectations in the game against the 69th-ranked Central Americans that is slated to kick off at 6:00 p.m. will be high for a Jamaica team hunting victory in front of what is expected to be massive and fervent crowd as it craves to strengthen its recovery process following a fall to 103rd last year in the FIFA rankings.

We have to win
    Underlining the significance of victory, Simoes told The Gleaner, "For every reason, it's important. First, in a coach's life it's important. We have to win."

Continuing, the Brazilian stated, "The FIFA ranking is very important ... to build the vibe which is growing here, build the label in our 'Office'."

Jamaica, now ranked 98th in the world following respective 3-0 and 2-0 wins over El Salvador and Guatemala last November, are going all-out to win against what appears to be a stronger opponent based on their tradition and have drawn heavily on their nationals who play pro ball in the United Kingdom, the United States and even Belgium, where former Portmore United midfielder, Jason Morrison, now plays with Royal Whitestar.
    But the skilful midfielder, nicknamed 'Dago', is not the player most of his compatriots are going to see.

Scoring hit
    Instead, it's King, a scoring hit in the previous World Cup campaign.
    Subsequently, he was banned for two years in controversial circumstances when the Jamaica Football Federation (JFF) was under different leadership. November marked the return of a new administration, headed by Captain Horace Burrell, who presided over affairs when Jamaica made their historic World Cup Finals appearance at France in 1998.

He instantly lifted King's ban and reunited the programme with Simoes, who was also the technical director when Jamaica achieved that feat.

There is an anticipation of like proportions to the role played by Viggo Mortensen (Aragon) in the final phase of the Lord of the Rings trilogy titled Return of the King, for the central striker to reign with goals in the black, green and gold jersey in this, his second coming.

And he's up for the challenge.
    "I'm a striker and my job is to score goals," said King. "I'm looking to get in the team first. It's a no-nonsense situation, the boss says if you're not performing you won't be in the team. I'm looking to work hard for this team."

Simoes, around whom swirls much antici-pation as well, did not name his starting 11 until after training last night (past press time), but King was jostling for one of two front-line starting positions up front with the hot Ricardo Fuller and Luton Shelton.

The skilful Fuller has hit a rich vein of form, scoring 13 times for Championship division team Stoke City, second highest in the league overall, while the speedy Shelton netted an important goal to lead Sheffield United past premiership team, Manchester City, 2-1 in the FA Cup two Sundays ago.

There is much quality in the squad to supplement the striker's scoring ambitions with Jamal Campbell-Ryce (Barnsley), Demar Phillips (Stoke), captain Ricardo Gardner (Bolton Wanderers), Morrison, Omar Daley (Bradford City) and a host of local-based players including Jermaine Hue (Harbour View), Rudolph Austin and Wolry Wolfe (Portmore) playing from midfield.

The defensive challenge is expected to be shored up by long-time goalkeeper Donovan Ricketts, and US-based Shavar Thomas and Tyrone Marshall.

"I think the team needs some time to get the chemistry together," Simoes noted of the squad. "It's a good group, but sometimes a beautiful woman doesn't become a good wife. So a well-talented group sometimes doesn't make a good team. Even though it's not like it's supposed to be now, we can win the game."
    Last edited by Tilla; February 6, 2008, 10:49 AM.
    THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Medford to assess talent

Medford to assess talent

COSTA RICA coach, Hernan Medford, insists that getting a chance to look at the performance of several players in tonight's friendly against Jamaica will be more important than going for a win.

"A win is always important but for me it is more important to get a chance to look at few players, I will need to see the 11," Medford explained at a training session held at the Edward Seaga Stadium, in Tivoli Gardens, yesterday.

"We are expecting a tough game. They (Jamaica) are a strong team with good players abroad and it will be a tough match both for Jamaica and Costa Rica"

'Good mix'
    Medford, the former Costa Rica star, will field a strong squad in today's fixture - 10 of the 18-man contingent took part in the 2006 World Cup.
    "We have a very good mix of youth and experience; players that have played in two World Cups, some just called, but it is more important to see what we can do in tomorrow's game than winning it," he said.
    - Kwesi Mugisa
    Last edited by Tilla; February 6, 2008, 10:58 AM.

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

Wealth of talent for selection

IMAGINE RICARDO Fuller starting on the bench, or Marlon King, an Ian 'Pepe' Goodison, a Jermaine Hue, or even Luton Shelton.

Actually, the list of players lined up in the 24-member squad - 13 of them overseas-based with solid international and professional experience - is longer. And 22 of them grew up on football in the land of wood and water.

Though profound, these are some of the choices facing Jamaica Football Federation (JFF) technical director René Simoes ahead of this evening's international trial match against Costa Rica at The Office.
      As awkward as his position might seem at this juncture, and in the first match on his second tour of duty, it's the type of thing all coaches yearn for - to have quality talent at their disposal.

It adds fodder to the well-entrenched football sentiment that any good team is as good as its bench and, in a real way, the increasing ability to export talent is a clear indication of the country's advancement in the sport.

New leadership, style, approach and impending qualification have forced changes that have injected life and vibe into the product spearheaded by the Boyz, a vast majority of whom are now being cultured in advanced football settings and creating the welcome job of giving Simoes selection headaches.

Some competition
      Between the sticks, former Wadadah custodian Donovan Ricketts provides some relief with probably the easiest pick over relatively new senior national goalies from Portmore United and Harbour View, giant Duwayne Kerr and Dwayne Miller, respectively.

Ricketts, the regular for years, had until recently represented Bradford City in English League Two but has problems securing a work permit for a transfer to Championship Division outfit Queen's Park Rangers.

There is some amount of competition going on places in the flat back four that the team has played for year Simoes largely operated with five at the back during his first tenure.

During that time, one of his most trusted soldiers was Goodison and some amount of thought always has to be accorded to the defensive strongman, a real warrior who leaves everything on the pitch.
      In Office duties against lower-class opposition nearly two months ago, he appeared to have lost a step and that might work against him.

Other options
      The other options are Shavar Thomas, Damion 'Stew Peas' Stewart, Ricardo Gardner, Tyrone Marshall, Adrian Reid, Christopher Harvey, Omar Daley, Demar Phillips and newcomer Lance Laing. Half of them also double as midfield options.

Gardner, who represents English Premiership's Bolton Wanderers, is the captain. There is no question over whether he will play, but given his superior experience, I'd play him at left back.

But look out for the teenage prodigy from Gardner's Harbour View crib named Laing. A big left and head above his years advertise the youngster as one for the future.

Thomas, who made his debut in the team at 20 before being overlooked - rather mind-boggling - for nearly four years, has always been a good reader of the game, has improved his overall game and pace, while remaining a pro.

In the two November internationals, he displayed his worth and gets the automatic central defensive pick. Harvey has real speed, controls the ball better than many of the others and is a real dead-ball scoring threat. That's enough to win the other central position.

Omar Daley's more composed demeanour, especially while defending, and natural athletic abilities to sprint up and down the flank where he generally delivers good crosses and secures the right back slot.

The near-similar attacking pace with more flair from Jamal Campbell-Ryce, who also operates on the right, and Demar Phillips on the left, contributes to thoughts governing the full back selections and, automatically, the attacking flank midfielders. Phillips, in particular, has tremendous work rate.

Classy Jermaine Hue only needs to remember his World and Gold Cup performances against the top CONCACAF teams. If he uses that to motivate performances at similar levels, then he can force Simoes to rethink the playing time he now appears likely to share with Wolry Wolfe, Nicholy Finlayson and Jason Morrison.

For the central midfield roles, cool and experienced Tyrone Marshall is boss in every aspect, head and shoulder above. That adds not onl but the type of level-headed approach to cool things down in the engine room and make the team function properly. That is one spot.
      More-the-merrier scenario

One good turn leads to another. Hard-kicking ball-winner Rudolf Austin has put in two, including a scoring performance in November and holds on to the other spot ahead of Portmore teammate Ricardo Cousins, who looks set to become a factor in the near future, especially with his scoring prowess as a central.

Roen Nelson could make his way off the bench with only a four-man frontal force named and it wouldn't surprise much which duo among Shelton, King or Fuller starts.

Fuller is scoring probably as best as he has done since moving overseas and his creative abilities should give him a start with King, leaving Shelton to wreak havoc in a second-half run against tiring defenders for no less than 40 minutes.

Imagine, the starting team could be just that. It's not my headache, but I guess Simoes won't mind in this more-the-merrier scenario.

audley.boyd@gleanerjm.com
      Last edited by Tilla; February 6, 2008, 10:14 AM.

Comment

King feels good back in Office

LeVaughn Flynn, Staff Reporter

Marlon King - Photo by LeVaughn Flynn

AT MONDAY night's practice session at the National Stadium, Marlon King showed no signs of the frustration he expressed a year ago after he was banned from playing for Jamaica. With a calm smile and a twinkle in his eye, King said bygones are bygones.

"(René) Simoes and Captain (Horace) Burrell have expressed wanting me to be here and they bring with them a wealth of experience and it's good times. So, all that stuff is behind me now," said King after completing a training session with the Reggae Boyz for tonight's friendly against Costa Rica.

The Jamaican striker, who signed with English Premier League side Wigan Athletic on January 25 from Championship team Watford, last played for Jamaica on May 29, 2006 in a 4-1 loss to Ghana.

He was also scheduled to feature in the historic match against England five days later, during the hyped-up England tour, but was expelled from the camp by then Jamaica Football Federation (JFF) president Crenston Boxhill for allegedly breaching team rules and being disrespectful.

Jamaica's world ranking
        Declining to dwell on the past, King said he was simply happy to be back and seemed more concerned with Jamaica's world ranking.

"Jamaica, football-wise, should not be in the state that it is in now. To be ranked 98th in the world is not acceptable. Jamaica has got players that are capable and are playing at the top level, so there is no reason why we should be ranked 98th in the world," King argued.

The 27-year-old has long been a target of several premiership clubs after leading Watford to the top for the 2006-07 season. He scored 22 goals on the way to the premiership but didn't get the chance to enjoy the fruits of his labour as he missed most of the season with a knee injury.

Back in the English Championship with Watford for the 2007-08 season, a healthy King returned to his goal-scoring exploits and netted 11 goals in the first half of the season, thus gaining the attention of several premiership clubs looking for a signee before the transfer window closed.

King looked all set to join struggling Fulham, but that deal fell through, making way for Wigan.

"It took a lot for me to walk away from Watford knowing they are second in the league and have got a good chance of getting promoted, but when an opportunity comes up you have to grab it," said King. "The last time I was in the premiership I got injured (so that fuelled me to return).

"You worked so hard to gain promotion to the premiership and then it's all taken away from you so, naturally, when the opportunity came up I spoke to the boss (Aidy Boothroyd) and he respected my decision.."

Fitness question
        It once seemed Watford selling King was unthinkable when Boothroyd declared last year that any club interested in his payer would have to pay £60 million.
        "It was more he didn't want to let me go because he thought it would hinder our chances of getting promoted and £60 million is what you get when you are promoted," explained King.

With two games for his new club so far, King said he is now focusing on remaining in a Wigan jersey and slowly working himself into the team. He also addressed the whole fitness issue which arose during talks with Fulham.

"How can I not be fit? I've played nearly 40 games; haven't missed a training session; been scoring goals for Watford. I think it was more about figures between the two clubs," he said. "And I don't think that came from Fulham anyway. The media just assumed I failed a medical because the deal broke down."

Before returning home to face Sunderland on Saturday, King, whose father hails from St Catherine, said he is focusing on working towards a win in tonight's game.

"I'm really looking forward to getting a good result on Wednesday and seeing a packed house," he said with a smile. "It feels good to be back at The Office and doing what I love doing - and that is playing for my country."
        Last edited by Tilla; February 6, 2008, 10:30 AM.

Comment

Marlon King -> "I'm a striker and my job is to score goals," said King. "I'm looking to get in the team first. It's a no-nonsense situation, the boss says if you're not performing you won't be in the team. I'm looking to work hard for this team."
          Should be a good game, since Costa Rica is a quality side. Haffi fire up mi DVD burner before the game. Wouldn't mind if the rasta baller delays the kickoff time, so mi can reach home before the game start.
          Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

bossman, get with the times. Get a DVR.
            President of the FACCAC - Fans Againts Clueless Crenston and Cronies (cronies include Mosiah and Sicko)

Comment

Working...
            X