Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Balloon goes up for hero Shelton

The balloon goes up for Sheffield United's FA Cup hero Shelton

By CHRIS WHEELER - More by this author ยป Last updated at 15:54pm on 28th January 2008 Comments

Sunday's balloon farce at Bramall Lane might have hastened Manchester City's exit out of the FA Cup, but it also overshadowed a valiant effort by Sheffield United.

No-one more so than Luton Shelton, the powerful Jamaican striker who came to England via chilly Sweden and an apprenticeship under Henrik Larsson at Helsingborgs.

Scroll down for more

Deflation for City: Shelton (right) puts United on their way to a famous victory

It was Shelton who benefited most from Michael Ball's balloon-assisted gaffe to put United on course for a 2-1 win and a fifth-round tie at home to manager Bryan Robson's old club Middlesbrough.

But the 22-year-old also produced a tireless performance, never giving Sven Goran Eriksson's side a moment's peace before he made way for Michael Tonge towards the end.

After a difficult introduction to English football as the Blades headed for relegation from the Barclays Premier League under Neil Warnock last season, Shelton has struggled to convince Robson he is worthy of a starting place so far this term. But he hopes all that is about to change.

"I suppose it makes for a good story - a Jamaican coming over here from Sweden and picking his way through the balloons to score a goal against one of England's top teams in the FA Cup," said Shelton, whose only other goals this season came against Morecambe in the Carling Cup. "If it helps to get me noticed and keeps me in the team, then even better.

"I've had to be patient, and it hasn't been easy because I'm desperate to play. When I'm not playing I get really sad.

"But when I came here in January last year it was straight after I'd been on holiday, because the Swedish season finished in November. I wasn't fully fit, and I struggled a bit.

"Since then I've been in and out of the team, mostly coming off the bench. It was hard to make an impression, especially when the team wasn't doing well.

"But hopefully this will help to relaunch my career here. I felt I played well, and getting an important goal always boosts your confidence.

"I know City were upset by all the balloons in their penalty box but I never had a problem with them. And they can only blame themselves, because they were thrown on to the pitch by their own fans.

"Whenever the ball came to me I concentrated really hard, and didn't let anything distract me. For the goal, the ball came straight to me and I stuck it into the back of the net - that's my job." It will come as little consolation to Eriksson that Shelton honed his striking technique in Sweden under Larsson after Helsingborgs spotted him playing for Jamaica.

He came through the system at Jamaican club Harbour View, and jumped at the chance to work with the former Celtic and Barcelona star. Their strike partnership helped Helsingborgs lift the Swedish Cup in 2006 before Shelton left for Bramall Lane 12 months ago and Larsson joined Manchester United on a short-term loan.

"I always wanted to play in England and my agent told me Helsingborgs would be a good stepping stone," added Shelton.

"Plus we knew Henrik Larsson was going there, and that was a big deal. I knew I could learn from him because he is such a great player. He's played for some of the biggest teams in the game, and he's won Champions Leagues and titles everywhere he's played.

"Playing and training alongside him definitely made me a better player. I managed to get 18 goals in nine months - one more than Henrik - although a lot of that was down to the fact teams would watch him so closely it gave me more chances.

"He taught me a lot, technically and about the mentality you need as a striker. He told me to be patient because you would always get at least one chance, and you had to be alert enough to take it."

Even when the assist comes from a bunch of blue balloons.
    Last edited by Karl; January 31, 2008, 02:14 PM.
    Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

It com inna all kina flavour mi yout, bettah yuh score dan miss. Yuh did tek di opputunity wid boat han and plus a foot, suh a hope Robson seeit.

Comment

you think Robson a go play him over Hulse, Beattie and Stead? You nuh see Robson style a play. Shelton is a roaming forward and a go mash up him old English style.

Robson a Currrrr.

Him need a month loan to QPR now
      • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

I hope Robson did see wah him ah look from di yout, but yuh done know di Englis dem, but mi jus ah hope kah di yout di show ebry ting an more.

Comment

look what the national team did to barnes...mek him languish on the bench when he was in his prime!

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

what more do you need to see?

A youth mash up Manu and Man City and can't play against Preston?
            It amaze me that the critics earlier this year was saying Luton can only play against third division team.

The youth like Fuller hold them head down when not given oppurtunity while Robson nuh give yout a chance them only want the tried and proven and that will only make them a mediocre team at best.
            • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

and wasn't robson on that 86 team?

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

yeah I think he was and a good player too but every team him touch go down the drain.

Remember that Sheffield bearly missed staying up and with pretty much the same players and different coaches hovering above the drop zone, although them pay 4 million for Beattie who is the leading scorer in the division.

Comment

This youth is the best thing we have on the forward line, I hope he really gets some more chances to play, it really seems these guys at Sheffield can't see that this guy needs more playing time than these lumbering Clydesdalelike strikers that they have playing ahead of him.

Comment

Nuh eben talk bout dat kah all now mi ah blood fi di Teacha. Di Englis dem neva like fi si man strive yet. Is one outa a million dem gi ah chance an as wi slip wi slide. Aldough wi nuh even haffi slip, jus sl an wi gaan.

Comment

Working...
                    X