• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ricketts lines up QPR switch

Taken from http://www.thetelegraphandargus.co.u...qpr_switch.php

Ricketts lines up QPR switch
    By Simon Parker
    Donovan Ricketts
    City stopper Donovan Ricketts was in London this afternoon for talks with QPR.
    The Championship club made their move after watching the Jamaican international in action at Wrexham on Saturday.
    Ricketts is out of contract at the end of the season and it is thought that City are looking to get him off the wage bill.
    Should the deal go through, they will have a loan keeper in goal against Shrewsbury tomorrow night.
    Ricketts, 30, joined City in 2004 and has made 118 appearances, keeping 32 clean sheets.

Congrats to Ricketts. McCallum got injured, so it look like the National team will definitely be seeing a lot more of Ricketts.

Comment

Good Move! QPR moved out of the relegation zone sometime ago, and Tall P will face stronger opposition in Div 2.
      Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

Congrats to Ricketts! Hope it goes well for him and he will get to join Stew Peas at QPR.
        Everyone here know that I am one of Ricketts' harshest critics, but I always felt he had the tools to be a good GK, but needs some parts of his game addressed with proper coaching. Hopefully with QPR, he will get just what he needs.

This is the level I have been expecting be competing from a long time as the 4th division league was not giving him any true test, hence his game was not growing. The Championship will do better for him.

I am really glad fi him.
        "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

Rs hold talks with keeper Ricketts

QPR have agreed an undisclosed fee with Bradford City for Jamaica international goalkeeper Donovan Ricketts.

Ricketts: On the move

Ricketts - who is out of contract at the end of the season - was in London on Monday afternoon for talks with the Rs.

The Championship club made their move for the 30-year-old after watching the Bantams number one in action in the 1-1 draw at Wrexham on Saturday.

Should the deal go through Ricketts will follow the route of fellow Jamaica star Damion Stewart, who made the move from Valley Parade to Loftus Road in the summer of 2006.

Meanwhile Bradford will have a loan keeper in goal against Shrewsbury on Tuesday night if Ricketts finalises terms and passes a medical.

Ricketts joined City in 2004 and has made 118 appearances, keeping 32 clean sheets.
          "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

I hope this is for the best where Rickett's is concerned. Yes it's a higher division and yes he will/might be making more money but let's hope QPR are not signing Tall P just to go sit on the end of their bench and become a valuable practice keeper.

One has to consider that at Bradford City he is a starter who plays regularly, hence he remains match fit at all times. QPR already have four keepers (Chris Goodchild, Lee Camp, Jake Cole & Sean Thomas), so Tall P will have to fight hard to become the first keeper off the bench and, eventually, to unseat the incumbent #1.

That said, congrats to Tall P and hope everything works out fine for him.
            "The contribution of forumites and others who visit shouldn’t be discounted, and offending people shouldn’t be the first thing on our minds. Most of us are educated and can do better." Mi bredrin Sass Jan. 29,2011

Comment

Ricketts is in a no win situation. Playing in the lowest league in the country does not give him the type of challenge to make him ready for the international game we coming around the corner. To go to QPR, it does not guarantee he will be getting immediate starting position on the team. The competition would be good for his game however and the fact that he is playing in a league were pay should be substantially higher than in League 2 is another plus to make the move.

He will have to tough it out and give it his best. staying in League 2 is similar to a 6th former being asked to repeat 3rd form. The challenge would not be there and the student will not grow.

I say go for it Ricko and sore like an eagle now that the shackles of the 4th division cage have been removed.

Comment

"Playing in the lowest league in the country does not give him the type of challenge to make him ready for the international game we coming around the corner. "

If this is the standard, which keeper is better prepared to start for us?
                • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

So true Mr. Assasin

One straight to the heart of it...Wow that is why you are for hire.....Assasin"if that is the standard what say you Tilla about the rest of our keepers...is it that NPL better than where Bradford sits.
                  I can bet Bradford has better management, practice facilities and players much better than most our NPL top players.

That we are Better in Soccer than most is an illusion...( I saw our top club teams with ONandi Lowe play on FSC and I must say was truly embarrassed).
                  "Everyone who knows me understands that I hold no prejudices in this regard....In the family atmosphere of the {RBSC}telethon, I forget that not everyone knows me that well." ....attributed to Jerry Lewis....

Comment

Originally posted by PeeJay View Post
                    what say you Tilla about the rest of our keepers...is it that NPL better than where Bradford sits.
                    I think some of the teams in the NPL can beat teams like Bradford on their day. Remember Bradford is a fully professional side where a players job is football. In Jamaica the players play football but are involved in other work related activities. Becuse of that, you may want to think that Bradford would be better.

All I can say is that the Bradford team was not allowing Ricketts to hone his game. You there found that there is a batch of home grown goalkeepers who are showing some better fundamentals in goalkeeping than Ricketts. I think QPR will be good for Ricketts and the competition for the starting spot should help him improve his game.

Yuh caan wrang him fi mek the move, as when you think about it, it will mean much more money for him than he is getting in League 2.
                    Last edited by Tilla; January 28, 2008, 09:48 PM.

Comment

Portmore can beat Bradford

Comment

assasin... that was... a dont even know weh fi seh... spot on, as mankind wudda seh...
                        'to get what we've never had, we MUST do what we've never done'

Comment

Working...
                        X