Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2010 FIFA World Cup South Africa™ - South Africa's coach

2010 FIFA World Cup South Africa™

<SPAN class=art-title2>Parreira: We have to start with the basics</SPAN> <TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="30%" align=right border=0><TBODY><TR><TD>
    </TD></TR><TR class=paddingall><TD vAlign=top> <SPAN class=textblack11px_normal>Carlos Alberto Parreira is excited about the challenge of developing South African football in time for the FIFA World Cup finals of 2010.
    </SPAN><SPAN class=textblack11px_bold>(AFP)</SPAN> </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10px; FONT-FAMILY: Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif">
    (FIFA.com)</SPAN> <SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10px; FONT-FAMILY: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">02 Oct 2006</SPAN>

<SPAN class=art-text>Preparations for the 2010 FIFA World Cup™ in South Africa are moving ahead at high speed, not only in terms of organising the world's biggest sporting event, but also on the sporting front, where the hosts are doing everything in their power to ensure a good showing four years from now. The Bafana Bafana qualify automatically and are determined to go further in front of their home public than the last time they appeared on the world stage, a campaign lasting just three matches in 2002. </SPAN><SPAN class=art-text>

To this end, the country's football association has turned to one of the best and most respected coaches in the world, entrusting Carlos Alberto Parreira with leadership of the team over the four years leading up to the festival of football on home soil. The 63-year-old Brazilian cannot be beaten for experience: he has already led four nations to FIFA World Cup finals, first Kuwait in 1982, then the United Arab Emirates in 1990, and Saudi Arabia in 1998. He has also twice managed his home country at the finals, although last summer in Germany he was unable to emulate the triumph of 1994, when Brazil claimed the trophy.

FIFA.com asked the charismatic South American about the task lying ahead with his new team.

FIFA.com Mr. Parreira, tell us about your new job as South Africa coach.
    Carlos Alberto Parreira:
    All I've done so far is sign a contract, as I'm not due to start work until mid-January. But I've already watched a 2008 African Cup of Nations qualifier, and I'll be present at the next match against Zambia. That'll help me get up to speed, because since the end of the World Cup I've had so many commitments in Brazil, including time with my family. But at least we have plenty of time until 2010.

Why have you chosen to take on the South Africa job?
    Obviously the main reason was the fact South Africa are hosts for the 2010 FIFA World Cup, which means the country will be the focus of world football for the next four years. Going there and building up a team is just fantastic, a real challenge. The South Africans were looking for someone with experience, because it's all gone downhill over the last seven or eight years there. It's high time the tide turned again. Expectations there are extremely high, so we'll need to work very hard to make sure the team performs well in 2010.

What are your priorities right now?
    Planning, organising and team building. There's a great deal to do.<TABLE id=IMGTAB height=150 cellSpacing=3 cellPadding=0 width=150 align=left summary="" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD></TD></TR><TR id=TRCAP><TD vAlign=bottom align=left><SPAN class=textblack11px_normal>Carlos Alberto Parreira visits the Soccer City stadium in Soweto, Johannesburg on 1 September 2006.</SPAN></TD></TR><TR id=TRSOURCE><TD align=left><SPAN class=textblack11px_bold>(AFP)</SPAN></TD></TR><TR id=TRAUTHOR><TD align=left><SPAN class=textblack11px_bold></SPAN></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

You have watched one match so far. What are your initial impressions of the team?
    They're technically good, but they have problems in front of go
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."
Working...
X