Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'our Business Is The Business Of Winning"

I saw your post below Naminiart.

You addressed the fact that the JFF will be looking abroad for additional talent. I also noticed that the threads that followed-- did not address this fact. The threads attacked you...however subtle.

Idealism is a helluva thing Naminiart.

It is idealism held back Boxhill. It's the same thing that affects 90% of the posters here on this forum when the UB-40 issue comes up...
    Last edited by HL; January 27, 2008, 06:14 PM.
    The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

I guess I fall into the other 10% when it comes to English born Jamaican players. Notice I avoided the UB-40 tag as I for one do not believe UB -40 is Jamaican as these players are. The group UB-40 as good a set of musician that they are, over the years have borrowed from Jamaican music, but that does not make them Jamaican in any way.

That said, I have no problem with building the best team possible and it does not matter to me where the players are from, as long as they are Jamaicans or of Jamaican origin and are committed to the cause. I know some folks on here and even in the wider Jamaican community believe that we have the necessary talent at home and should not need any player outside the island to be competitive.
    "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

Good eye Tilla!!!

It would be (IDEAL) if the entire squad could be 100% home grown.

But in today's business environment, WINNING is at ANY cost.

HL

Comment

BTW: who is that Sturridge guy I saw playing for Manchester City?

i hope the good captain does his research and bag him.

That former Reggae BoY Earl could serve as a good recruiter of UB-40's.

Ssssssup Assasin? Everythin kurry?

HL

Comment

Tilla enjoy the ub40

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7aEUs0sBydQ

Comment

Originally posted by HL View Post
            Good eye Tilla!!!

It would be (IDEAL) if the entire squad could be 100% home grown.

But in today's business environment, WINNING is at ANY cost.
            I'm not sure why you feel it would be ideal for the squad to be 100 % home grown as that sounds very discriminator to Jamaican's born abroad. Memba that Jamaican law states that you are Jamaican if one parent is Jamaican. To mek matters even worse is that you have more Jamaicans abroad than in Jamaican and they help sure up yards economy. Think before you inadvertently disrespect a boat load of people that support yard.

Peace

Comment

Dread, i think you miss my position on the issue being debated.

HL

Comment

Thank you Nami. I have their Best of UB-40 in my CD player in my car right now. Do you know who did that piece of music originally? That was done by one Eric Donaldson in the early 70s. It won the Jamaican Festival Song Competition back in the day.

I have every amount of respect for UB-40, and they have done well to promote Reggae Music giving their own style to the music too. They have worked with some of the best in Jamaican music too. Nami, can you point me to any foreign group like UB-40 who have taken to Soca like UB-40 did to Reggae or as Lucky Dube, Alpha blondie etc, etc?
                "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

No Onandi, No Goals

Comment

Originally posted by Tilla View Post

I have every amount of respect for UB-40, and they have done well to promote Reggae Music giving their own style to the music too. They have worked with some of the best in Jamaican music too. Nami, can you point me to any foreign group like UB-40 who have taken to Soca like UB-40 did to Reggae or as Lucky Dube, Alpha blondie etc, etc?
                    Soca is new and different but i can say Arrow from antigua felling hot hot hot in the erly 80's......... However fro calypso harry belofonte sang over alot of calypso song ,like this one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3vgaCNY-aI

this is the orignal verison to belaonte song
                    http://www.toronto-lime.com/music/vi..._at_booboo.htm

NAT KING COLE CALYPSO BLUES
                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rf5ivCfZ_cw

Calypso was feature in movies in the 40's 50's

this is lord flea from jamaica singing calypso in a movie
                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysUEiUiz6Vo

this is a next song from lord flea you should know this i dont know what to say the mokey won't do
                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysUEiUiz6Vo

http://www.calypsoworld.org/noflash/artists-22.htm

LORD FLEA

btw tilla it is likely that your parents and grandparents used to listen to calypso
                    Last edited by Naminirt; January 27, 2008, 10:27 PM.

Comment

Thanks. I remember the one quite well, I don't know what to say the monkey won't do. I will check out the links .

BTW, I really do like your pan jazz. Had the pleasure of seeing a pan jazz ban back in my days at college in Washington DC (can't remember the name of the group now). I was quite impressed.

Comment

Originally posted by Shatta View Post
                        No Onandi, No Goals
                        Wha yuh deh talk bout Shatta? Nandi not in the goal scoring business any more.

Comment

Mi deh yah a watch you.

You see a youth play 10 minutes and you want fi bag him?

You never see Shelton play 70 odd?

HL you nah fi worry cause nobody nah pick the team fi Rene Simoes and look fi some surprise from Ballas from places you never thought. Give him six months.
                          • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

What exactly is your position?

Comment

That Sturridge guy is the nephew of dean Sturridge who was suppose to play for JA

Comment

Working...
                              X