X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JFF's bad rep scaring sponsors, says Simoes

JFF's bad rep scaring sponsors, says Simoes

Kwesi Mugisa, Staff Reporter

Technical director René Simoes (right) gestures during a press conference following his arrival at the Norman Manley International Airport on Saturday, January 5. Jamaica Football Federation president Captain Horace Burrell looks on. - ricardo makyn
    National technical director René Simoes has expressed grave concern that recent damage suffered to the reputation of the Jamaica Football Federation (JFF) has significantly tarnished its potential to deal with corporate Jamaica.
    "The federation's reputation has dropped so dramatically that we had it difficult to rent a house for my assistants (Chico Santos and Alfredo Montesso). People were asking for collateral from the JFF and in previous time, that could not happen," Simoes, the man who stood at the helm of possibly the nation's greatest sporting triumph, told Star Sports on Tuesday.
    Poor state of affairs
    The poor state of affairs of the JFF is also seen in the national senior team's world ranking, 98th, which recently handicapped negotiations between the federation and a major kit sponsor, according to JFF president Captain Horace Burrell. Simoes, however, stressed that this time, sponsors will get value for their money.
    "But what I need from the sponsors now is to think that we are not in the same time. When they put money in the programme they would receive much mileage back in pride, quality and everything," Simoes said.
    Having taken office last November, the new JFF administration has found itself stuck knee high in a quagmire of financial woes. A debt of £135,000 still owed to the English Football Association for tickets sold for the June 2006 friendly between Jamaica and England tops the list.
    US$12,300 in fines
    However, the administration also owes US$12,300 in fines to the Caribbean Football Union (CFU) for missing the region's Under-15 tournament last year and just recently reached an agreement with the Hilton hotel for payment of debt in excess of $1 million. The hotel had opted to take the case to court, but has since managed to reach a compromise with the federation, which resulted in the case being dropped.
    With these facts in mind, the Brazilian coach, dubbed the "little magician" for his exploits in leading Jamaica to the 1998 World Cup in France, sought to allay the fears of would-be corporate suitors.
    "It's a different ball game, because some companies, and I agree with them, are so upset because they put money there and they did not receive anything back. The federation didn't deliver what they promised," he said.
    "I understand them but they have to understand also that it's a new ball game, a new administration, a new time, so let's get it together." Simoes continued: "I keep saying that it's no sense to think that because Captain Burrell and René Simoes return, you make it back (to World Cup). No it's not enough; everybody has to be back. That was why it was so successful in 1998 because everybody was onboard. The government is fully committed so the private sector has to go full on commitment."

BLACK LIVES MATTER

we inna bad position if Simoes can't get support.

A hope we can give Costa Rica and Trinidad 6-0.

Who said the didn'care about ratings and losses?
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Working...
    X