X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Striker King makes Wigan switch

Striker King makes Wigan switch

King joined Watford in 2005 from Nottingham Forest

Watford striker Marlon King has signed for Premiership strugglers Wigan after his proposed move to Fulham broke down.

Reports claimed that the Fulham move fell through after he failed a medical, a move denied by the player.

So Wigan boss Steve Bruce nipped in to sign King, 27, who scored 37 goals in 82 starts for Watford since joining from Nottingham Forest in 2005.

"He's a proven finisher who gives us a a different kind of goal-scoring threat. It's tremendous," said Bruce.

Watford had already turned down two offers from Fulham for the 27-year-old, who missed much of last season with a knee injury but has scored 11 goals this season.

Regarding Fulham, King said: "I went down, had a long medical and for some reason there was a hitch.
    "I think the two clubs were trying to renegotiate the fee, it had nothing to do with me, but when I picked up the papers I see I had failed a medical!

"I know my body is 110%. I didn't fail a medical. I've been playing for a season and a half now and scoring goals - nothing has changed.

"As far as I'm concerned and Wigan are concerned, I didn't fail a medical. I had a medical at Wigan and everything went smoothly, so I decided to make the switch.

"I was speaking to Fulham for the last week and a half, I came down to get things sorted out and for whatever reason it didn't happen. "Steve Bruce made it clear he wanted me here and I am a Wigan player now."
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

LONDON: Fulham has agreed to sign striker Marlon King from Watford for 5 million pounds (US$9.9 million; US$6.7 million).

The 27-year-old former Jamaica international will leave the League Championship's third-place team if he can agree to a contract and pass a medical examination.

Fulham agreed to let Dutch striker Collins John join Watford on loan as part of the deal for King, who has scored 37 goals in 87 matches since joining the Hornets from Nottingham Forest in July 2005.
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Why do players do this and not lool at the long term? He is leaving a Premiership-bound team for a Championship-bound team. He will at least get some premiership football for 5 months before going back down to the Championship with Wigan.

I hope he at least got a pay raise and has longer contract that will not change when Wigan gets relegated. I hear it may be $30K a week.

Comment

Why do players do this and not look at the long term?
        Well, there is no guarantee that Watford will be in the Premiership next season, as so many things can happen between now and the end of the season. As you can see the top promotion spots are crowded with no more than three points separating them.

A player like Marlon King needs to take any Premiership opportunity when they come. He moves to the EPL and do so at a higher salary than he was getting at Watford. Through his hard work, he will try to ensure that Wigan stays up. During this period, he will make sure that he delivers the goods in terms of proving himself as a goalscorer at the Premiersip level. If Wigan should fail to stay up, King could be grabbed by another EPL side that will stay in the league or at least, he could consider any offer from one of the three new teams getting promoted who are always looking players with Premiership experience.

I think it is a good move for King as staying with Watford does not guarantee promotion.
        "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

I think King made a bad move here. Watford looks poised to return to the permeirship and wigan, fulham and derby will most likely go down. He only signed a new deal at watford last summer. Im sure he would've been on prem wages anyway once they (watford) got promoted.

Comment

. . .once they (watford) got promoted.
            OK, I guess your crystal ball shows Watford getting promoted. It is not a certainty that Watford will be promoted! They are positioned at the moment for promotion, but there is a lot which can happen between now and the end of the season.
            Attached Files
            "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

Watford in a tough battle at the moment.

I think Watford need the money as they are have been slipping in the last month from runaway leader to a tight second with teams breathing down their neck.
              • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Working...
              X