X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sad new!!! Corntail Donaldson has died

... JFF to help with 'Corntail's' funeral

Saturday, January 19, 2008

LITTLE LONDON, Westmoreland - President of the Jamaica Football Federation (JFF), Captain Horace Burrell, has committed the Federation's help towards the funeral cost of former national representative Caple 'Corn Tail' Donaldson who died last week as a result of gunshot wounds he received in December.

Burrell, who was speaking at Thursday's launch of the Westmoreland Football Association's Captain's Bakery Major League at the Bay Road Sports Complex in Little London, said he believes the Federation has a part to play.

Donaldson, who represented Rusea's High as a schoolboy and Reno FC and Wadadah in the former National Premier League, was shot by a police officer who he allegedly attacked at the Sav-la-mar Market in December. He succumbed to his wounds at the Sav La Mar hospital on Friday, January 11. He is to be buried on January 27.

The gifted striker, who also represented the national team on several occasions, had long suffered from mental illness and had been living on the streets since his mother died some years ago.
    "Whenever a national player passes on, I do believe the Federation has a responsibility to ensure that we do all that we possibly can and as president of the JFF, I can tell you that the Federation will do whatever we can to help ease the pain on the family and friends," Burrell said.

Sporting World understands that Donaldson's family is having difficulties in finding funds to bury him.

Everton Tomlinson, president of the Westmoreland FA, said he had been informed that the family has been finding it difficult to meet the financial demands of the funeral and were seeking help.

It is also understood that one of Donaldson's former clubs, Reno FC, was also planning a fundraising event to help the family.
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Pity help came so late for him. Where were all these people when he was ALIVE????

Comment

I feel so sad about it. I went to community college and play with his brother Kingsley. We were two of the top players and developed a bond as we were on a losing streak and we and and two other players lead the meeting and demand changes from the coach and we didn't lose again until in the playoffs.

I got a scholarship but had good grades so I got an academic scholarship. The coach asked me if there was any other players I would recommend. I recommend Kingsley but he said he wanted to leave NY and was getting a scholarship in Ohio. It never worked out for him and he came back looking for the scholarship but it was too late.

Never heard from him again and I don't even know if he finished college as he could only do it on scholarship.
      • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Working...
      X