RBSC

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bermudas lost may very well be Jamaicas Gain!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bermudas lost may very well be Jamaicas Gain!

Salary for BFA's top job too small - Todd

By Colin Thompson

The annual salary Bermuda Football Association (BFA) have set aside for a technical director will not attract the "quality" and "experience" needed to move local football forward, Bermuda football academy director Richard Todd claimed yesterday.
    The 35-year-old former North Village, Bermuda and United States Independent Soccer League pro - now the head man at Vestavia Hills Soccer Club in Alabama - believes the $125,000 per-year salary the BFA have put on the table falls well short of the mark by today's standards.
    "If we want to be serious about attracting someone with the qualifications to move us forward then we need to be prepared to make sure they are adequately compensated.
    "And in my opinion the salary we are offering the technical director doesn't put us in a field to lure any of the big names that have been talked about," said Todd, nephew of late Southampton Rangers skipper Ray (Castro) Todd.
    "The money we are offering will not attract people with the quality and experience that have been mentioned recently because a technical director at club level back in the US makes about the same amount.
    "So if we are serious about moving our game forward then we need to also get serious about compensating them financially."
    The BFA have already made provisions to appoint a technical director to oversee the development of local football at al levels. And it is envisaged the highly competent and experienced technical director will be handed the task of developing educational coaching programmes at all levels while working in tandem with a yet-to-be appointed youth director and youth and development coordinator.
    Among some of the high profile names that have emerged as potential candidates for the top post are Brazilian Rene Simoes and Englishman Paul Mariner.
    Earlier this week it was revealed that Mariner had lost interest in the job while the highly respected Simoes rejoined Jamaica's famous Reggea Boyz as manager, earning five times as much as he would have done had he taken over as the Island's technical director.
    Simoes is the man who performed wonders when he guided Jamaica to the 1998 World Cup in France, the first Caribbean nation to qualify for football's premier showpiece.
    Todd, who has denied ever applying for the association's technical director's job and is more interested in the youth development coordinator's post, also feels the BFA missed out on a golden opportunity to secure the services of Simoes who is reportedly being paid $600,000 over a three-year period.
    Todd reckons Jamaica's gain might've been Bermuda's loss.
    "Obviously I don't have all the details but I think we missed out which is very evident now that Simoes has resigned with Jamaica," he said. "And having seen his name being knocked around a bit . . . it didn't come as a surprise to me.
    "It is very realistic that Simoes would've wanted to get involved with the national programme here - and that is not to say that Keith (interim national coach Keith Tucker) couldn't have been involved in some way.
    "However, I think the money that we are offering here will not attract people with the qualification and the experience needed to move Bermuda football forward."
Working...
X